Personal View site logo
Big detailed look on Tesla Ponzy scheme
  • Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA), a manufacturer of electric vehicles and solar panels, is widely regarded as an American clean energy success story. Its market capitalization has exceeded $80 billion at its peak, and it operates factories in California, Nevada, New York and China. Yet recently released documents obtained by PlainSite affiliate Think Computer Foundation reveal that the entire company is at this point built on a massive, multi-billion dollar fraud orchestrated by its CEO, Elon Musk, who for years has gone to extreme lengths to conceal his unlawful acts from shareholders. In parallel with this core fraud, under Musk’s leadership, Tesla defrauded taxpayers in New York and California out of more than 1.2 billion dollars, while producing products with serious and sometimes fatal quality defects that will likely put the company at risk in a projected 300 new lawsuits in 2020.

I>n 2016, Tesla acquired SolarCity Corporation, a company run by Musk’s cousins, Peter and Lyndon Rive, for $2.6 billion. The acquisition, which made no financial sense for Tesla, was a bailout for Musk and his relatives, whose companies faced near-certain bankruptcy without emergency financing.

Since the merger, Tesla has been a financial disaster. In its nearly seventeen years of existence, the company has never turned an annual profit. Even with billions of dollars of subsidies from governments worldwide, it has managed to incinerate money at an astounding pace. Despite having the lowest 5-year trailing earnings per share growth of any NASDAQ company worth more than $50 billion, it also has the highest forward price-to-earnings ratio in the class. Tesla’s astounding overvaluation is thanks in large part to a coterie of devoted followers whose television appearances and often fake social media accounts have whipped up a frenzy of hype. Many have also targeted critics and short sellers with vitriol and harassment. While the company’s advocates speak of “moats” that give Tesla a competitive advantage, the truth is that Tesla has virtually no protectable intellectual property and it has pledged to open-source its relatively few patents, besides. Management is in shambles. Meanwhile, the coming decade is certain to feature new competitors in the electric vehicle space.

Simply put, Tesla cannot be understood through traditional quantitative metrics because its disclosed numbers are largely fraudulent. Tesla is a broken company, effectively a Ponzi scheme, founded upon the enthusiasm of brilliant hobbyists who unknowingly partnered with a self-described narcissistic “bait and switch[er].” Today, Tesla’s story is Musk’s story. And that story is much different than the PR narrative.

https://www.plainsite.org/realitycheck/tsla.pdf

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • https://qz.com/1734436/tesla-turns-a-profit/
    In an interview with Leslie Stahl, Musk said he expected his company might out of business, but he thought the electric cars needed to be made.

Elon Musk: The whole point of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of electric vehicles. And sustainable transport and trying to help the environment. We think it's the most serious problem that humanity faces. I'm not sure if you know it, but we open sourced our patents, so anyone who wants to use our patents can use 'em for free.

Lesley Stahl: Your patents are open-sourced?

Elon Musk: Yeah. If somebody comes and makes a better electric car than Tesla and it's so much better than ours that we can't sell our cars, and we go bankrupt, I still think that's a good thing for the world.

Of course, it might all be whatever, but, nonetheless, an unusual position to take.

• @DrDave

It is January 2020 report, so it has this info :-) Read carefully.

• Well, I can't speak to the longevity of the company but I purchased a Model 3 almost 6 months ago. My brother in law is on his second Model S. I've driven quite a few cars in my 57 years and I have to say that this thing (as far as I'm concerned) is a game changer. I've not had one issue with just over 5000 miles. The car is stupidly quick, handles quite well for such a heavy vehicle and the tech is basically out of this world. Since I took delivery I've had about 6 OTA software updates that have increased power, battery efficiency, visualizations, infotainment, games, voice commands etc... at no additional cost. No other car company is capable of doing that yet. I can honestly say that I can't see myself going back to an internal combustion car again after experiencing this thing. I look forward to driving it every day. I only drive about 40 miles a day under normal conditions and I live in an apartment so my garage only has 120v outlet. I easily recoup all the energy that I used and come out to a fully charged (90%) car every morning. I could go on and on about the features, but you still have to experience it to fully appreciate what it is. Is it perfect? I'm sure that in 3-5 years, everyone else will probably catch up but for the moment no one even comes close.

• @tcarretti

Issue is not their product, issue is how company is being run and financed.

• @tcarretti I wish I could afford one. Ideally charged with the sun.

• @DrDave

It's the most expensive car I ever purchased (initially) at 50K but after running numbers on the amount of money I save on fuel, oil changes, etc... the cost of ownership over 5 years comes out to less than my last vehicle a 2016 Ford F-150 XLT. Plus, it's almost like getting a new car every time a software upgrade comes out. I was really fortunate in that they had just reduced pricing across the board on the Model 3 and I was able to get the LR AWD Performance Stealth version for that price. Couldn't pass it up... Cheers!

• @tcarretti

Software updates look nice initially.

But look at Microsoft and Adobe - this is your real future. Did not paid monthly rent - car is disabled. And it will be VERY near.

• I always thought it was brilliant to call themselves "Tesla" and leverage an electrical genius. Like Solyndra and other big idea startups, they sell the big idea to investors and even governments, make millions of dollars for themselves, then disappear at the first sign of trouble. It happens frequently. Most often we never hear of the smaller startups that do the same thing on a local or regional basis. The model almost always requires a bright, likeable, flamboyant pitch man.