Personal View site logo
Nikon Z6 - Smaller Brother and Sony A7III competitior with exact same sensor
  • 160 Replies sorted by
  • I am guessing it is paid to try and make up for poor sales. Ironically poor sales are due to smarter folks waiting for pro-res raw... now smarter folks are thinking twice, and worried Nikon may try and follow Panasonic's pay now, pay more later for what we held back camera model. We will see. If it is a nominal charge, and Nikon doesn't repeat this mistake... Panasoic has alienated it's core consumers, Nikon only needs to add 4K 60p (48p would suffice), and be smarter with their pricing to claim that core group.

• is this voldemort payed hardware upgrade official confirmed info? I cant believe it! Price drop is a big bla bla BS but if paid hardware upgrade is true I would be very disappointed. After so many years waiting for Nikon that would be too much....

• @4CardsMan

Smart habit - buy 2 years after introduction the refurbished version. Usually it is around 30-50% of original price. With new FF cameras it'll be 30%.

• Voldemort has gone bananas about the paid raw hardware update. Since the upgrade requires significant changes and a trip to the service center, it seems reasonable to me. He raves about how he paid full freight and now the camera is discounted. Good news for those of us who never adopt early.

• Today, Nikon has introduced a dedicated LUT (lookup table) for users of the N-Log feature on the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6 cameras, allowing greater creative control in post-production. Further adding to the Z series' capabilities for professional and advanced video creators, a new update will also be released later this year for the Z series cameras, which will enable the support of RAW video output from the camera when using a compatible ATOMOS Ninja V digital recorder.

N-Log and LUT: Next Level Control in Post

While Nikon's legacy in color science delivers an appealing palette and tones, this free upgrade takes color control to the next level. For even more flexibility, the dedicated LUT available for Nikon's N-Log is compatible with the Rec. 709 color space and is available in several versions, allowing users to easily apply different looks to their content. This 3D LUT is a preset of RGB color values, used to transform the appearance of video footage in post-production color grading, and enables adjustment of brightness, saturation and hue. The Nikon Z 7 and Z 6's N-Log HDMI output is optimized for 10-bit recording, bringing out the image sensor's full dynamic range. It records rich gradation information in highlights and shadows to allow for more flexible color grading.

To download the LUT free of charge, please visit the following links:

Support for RAW video output

Scheduled to arrive later this year, the output RAW data stream will enable recording in ProRes RAW video format on the Ninja V 4K HDR monitor/recorder made by ATOMOS, Nikon's collaborator in developing RAW video output technology. RAW video files provide the richest information, just like still image RAW data. By bringing even more flexibility to post-production color grading, RAW video output support firmly places the Nikon Z series as an affordable contender for professional-level production and filmmaking of any scale. This feature will require an additional internal upgrade that will need to be performed at a local Nikon service center, which will incur a service charge.

For more information about ProRes RAW and the advanced video capabilities of the Nikon Z series mirrorless cameras, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

• Z6 Lut is bigger news then new Indian kit I believe :) Unfortunately no Ninja V for me yet... but seems to be soon. https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/140.html

• Xt-3 is missing from that shootout ; P

Nikon Z6/Z7 and Olympus E M1X are by far the most comfortable camera's out their, at least for my hand/s. India kit hype aside, hopefully Nikon has "the" firmware update coming before the end of the month or better yet internal 12bit! and some other surprises. I want to want the Z6 or Z7, but I am not convinced yet. XT-3...hmmmm, I could always make a comfy grip out of playdough....

• Nikon India seems to offer a slightly different kit than Nikon USA

Nikon Z6 India.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 419K
  • TOMORROW!

World Photography Day - Monday, August 19th, 2019

• Raw firmware seems to be coming soon

sa9627.jpg
    538 x 424 - 20K
  • I was100% sure this was my next camera, but that was partly because of the 12bit pro-res raw FW. Great camera for sure, but they gave me time to knit pick and notice some other great camera's out/coming out.. still a possibility, but, no live usb charging is pretty sad since I like doing time lapse stuff, delay from Z6 to atomos monitor, also a bummer, rolling shutter, I could have lived with that one..

• Fixed the following issues:

•  If the camera detected faces during still photography or movie recording at the settings listed below, it would in very rare instances begin to respond more slowly, display an error, or stop responding altogether.
      • Still Photography
        •  Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
        •  Face and eye detection on or Face detection on selected for Custom Setting a4 (Auto-area AF face/eye detection) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU
      • Movie Recording
        • Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode in the MOVIE SHOOTING MENU
        • Face and eye detection on or Face detection on selected for Custom Setting a4 (Auto-area AF face/eye detection) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU
    •  In very rare instances, the bottoms of pictures taken with all the following settings in effect would not appear as expected: - Mode dial rotated to AUTO, P, or A - An NEF (RAW) option selected for Image quality in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU14-bit selected for NEF (RAW) recording > NEF (RAW) bit depth in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENUAuto selected for Custom Setting d5 (Shutter type) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENUContinuous H (extended) release mode selected with the release mode/self-timer button

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/332.html

• Nikon Z7 / Z6 Experience - The Still Photography Guide

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGCP442/

sa9360.jpg
    526 x 684 - 67K
  • Nikon Z 6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-70mm Lens (Refurbished), $1799

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488631-REG/nikon_1598b_z_6_fx_camera_body.html

• Big UK reduction. Over £800 Nikon Z6 + NIKKOR Z 24-70 mm f/4 S Kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2WDPYK/

• Meike MK-Z7G Grip for Z6 and Z7

• Anti-slip leather-like hand grip enhances comfort when holding the grip.
    • Fixed camera bottom to increase its weight for anti-vibration and anti-shaking.
    • Features two 1/4 screw holes at the bottom of the grip, which enables you to attach the grip to the camera and a tripod so that shooting is handier.
    • Replace batteries freely with no need to uninstall the hand grip.
    • Size: 133.2x64.8x21mm
    sa8660.jpg
    645 x 183 - 14K
  • Free FTZ Adapter return after short pause

sa8371.jpg
    531 x 689 - 57K
  • My conclusion about Z6: 4K looks good but its only 25p. 1080p are bad or even v. bad only good 1080 are slow mo without sound

AF tracking in video and photo ability rewords expanse of this camera for me. Future Prores may bring same more benefits but it will not fix 1080 Im afraid.

• Z6 Resolution Motion Test (tacking AF) if anyone cares

• US PR

NIKON RELEASES THE NEW Z SERIES VERSION 2.0 FIRMWARE WITH ENHANCED FEATURES AND PERFORMANCE INCLUDING EYE-DETECTION AF

Firmware Upgrade Brings Further Improvements to the Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6 FX-Format Mirrorless Cameras by Adding Eye-Detection AF, Improving AF Performance in Low Light, and Adding Auto-Exposure Tracking to the Continuous High-Speed (Extended) Mode

Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the release of firmware Ver. 2.0 that will further enhance the performance of its full-frame mirrorless cameras, the Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6.

Users will enjoy three main additional features following the Ver. 2.0 upgrade. These include:

1. Eye-Detection autofocus (AF) for still-image shooting
    2. Extension of the low-light AF detection range
    3. Addition of auto-exposure (AE) tracking capability to the continuous high-speed (extended) mode

These enhanced shooting functions will further increase camera functionality and performance and are a response to customer feedback for new and innovative ways to capture and create.

PRIMARY FEATURES OF THE NEW FIRMWARE

Eye-Detection AF for still-image shooting

The new firmware offers Eye-Detection AF functionality that automatically detects and focuses on human eyes when using the Auto-area AF mode in both AF-S and AF-C. When the eyes of multiple subjects are detected, the multi-selector or sub-selector can be used to select the eye upon which the camera should focus. This enables precise focus on the eye of the intended individual, even when looking through the Electronic Viewfinder. This function is applicable even when the subject's face is partially covered by another object, or in the event when a subject is frequently changing their pose.

AF performance improvements in low-light situations

The new firmware enables even faster autofocusing when capturing photos and video in dark or dimly lit scenes, for both stills and video. It will extend the AF detection range^1^ from -1 EV to -2 EV with the Z 7, and from -2 EV to -3.5 EV with the Z 6. In addition, the Z 6 will be able to autofocus with even darker scenes, as the available low-light AF detection range^1^ will be extended^*2^ from -4 EV to -6 EV when the Low-light AF function is enabled.

• With still-image photography in AF-S mode, ISO 100, f/2.0 lens, at 20° C/68° F.
    • The low-light AF detection range will remain the same with the Z 7.

AE tracking in continuous high-speed (extended) mode

With earlier firmware versions, auto exposure (AE) was locked with the first shot in a burst of high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 9 fps (Z 7) or 12 fps (Z 6) in continuous high-speed (extended) mode. Firmware Ver. 2.0 adds support for AE tracking in continuous high-speed (extended) mode, allowing the cameras to track exposure just as it does focus (AF tracking). This helps to ensure that all images captured with a burst of high-speed continuous shooting are in focus and exhibit optimal exposure, even when the brightness of the scene changes.

The new firmware can be downloaded (free of charge) from Nikon's Download Center at the following link: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com. Users will be prompted to follow the instructions provided to successfully install the firmware.

Nikon will continue to flexibly respond to the evolving needs of our users and offer next-generation imaging experiences that foster creativity. For more information on the latest Nikon products, including the Nikon Z series, please visit www.nikonusa.com.