Personal View site logo
PV Lab: World smallest spectrometer

The NSP32-V1 spectrometer uses a 1024 pixel, 32 x 32, nano-optical filter array to measure the light spectrum, based on a technological breakthrough, the plasmonic filter. This is a metal film perforated with subwavelength hole arrays. It is manufactured within the metal layer of the silicon die, giving a monolithic solution.

The 100μm-high sensor die is assembled in an advanced ball grid array (BGA) package with an optical window for only 500μm height. The other optical parts, the lens and the diffuser, are assembled in a 5.7mm-high module. The module is very small overall, at just 6mm x 6mm x 5.3mm.

Measurements

Site - https://nanolambda.myshopify.com/products/nsp32-w

ADK

https://nanolambda.myshopify.com/products/application-development-kit-2-adk2

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • In our US lab, preparing for Cinegear

sa8396.jpg
    800 x 1010 - 88K
  • Sad they have discontinued NSP32 ADK. Seems like a very affordable option vs. stranglehold from Sekonic.

• @Firworks

Well, it all may change.

Now they make Bluetooth version.

None of portable spectrometers are actually cheaper still.

• I may have found a new option. If you search eBay for "Thunder Optics SMA" or "Thunder Optics USB" there are two small USB spectrometers, the tiny USB one is ~70USD and the larger one with optical fiber connection is 150USD. They look somewhat crude but I think may be fine for seeing quality of video light. Thinking of getting one to test out but I don't have access to a "fancy" Spectrometer to compare with.

• @Firworks

Stay away from all such.

Thing discussed in this topic come calibrated (and USB version has calibration file on server).

Plus it is really useful for real life applications and has normal mobile app.

Your referenced spectrometer is mostly just nice toy and very hard to use (uses usual consumer CMOS sensor, cheap components and such).

• Is this still the best and most affordable option? What is the accuracy of this spectrometer?

• @EriV

Accuracy is good if you apply it to proper field.

It is clearly not best idea to use it to measure spectrum with lot of sharp peaks.