Personal View site logo
50mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix S Pro FF Lens

Specs

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • PR

The LUMIX S PRO 50mm F1.4 is a large-aperture fixed focal length LUMIX S PRO lens that is the core of all LUMIX S Series lenses. Ensuring versatile use with its 50mm focal length and F1.4 high speed, the LUMIX S PRO 50mm F1.4 boasts stunningly high resolution and a descriptive performance from the center to the corners of the image despite its large aperture. It provides smooth defocus gradation from the focus peak to the neighboring area of the image. It also describes the point light sources in the background as impressive, beautiful bokeh. The optical performance of this LUMIX S PRO lens is outstandingly high to clear stringent LEICA standards.

Comprising 13 lenses in 11 groups, the use of 2 aspherical lenses and 3 ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lenses effectively suppresses both axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration of magnification. Astigmatism is also corrected with those aspherical lenses, achieving high resolving performance.

A double focus system combining a linear motor and stepping motor achieves sensor drive at a maximum speed of 480 fps. It realizes fast, high-precision AF to ensure that you will never miss a photo opportunity. Adoption of a focus clutch mechanism enables instant AF/MF switching and accurate manual focusing. The LUMIX S PRO 50mm F1.4 also excels in video recording performance with a mechanism that suppresses focus breathing, which was a fatal problem of all interchangeable lenses designed for still image photography.

The refined design of the LUMIX S Series provides high operability as a tool for professionals. The rugged dust/splash-resistant* design withstand use under harsh conditions even in 10 degrees below zero for high mobility. The filter diameter is 77mm, with an 11-blade circular aperture diaphragm.

Dust and Splash Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this lens is subjected to direct contact with dust and water.

• Review

Wide open lens does not hold good. So, it is more like F2.8 lens with extreme price.

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/objectif/panasonic-lumix-s-pro-50mm-f1-4-p52031/test.html

sa8072.jpg
    765 x 536 - 52K
    sa8073.jpg
    767 x 510 - 69K
  • That price is insane, unreal. Almost an insult. Maybe Panasonic has to move on to diamond bussiness or another luxury goods. Maybe they must opt to build gold plated lenses with engraved precious stones, I don't know. It's like perverting the concept of tool :-(

• @Knotbar

Again, S line had been designed with target buyer who before bought Leica niche cameras. My source told that management made 3 sequential price hikes during prototypes discussion meetings, as they did not meet their margin targets initially (even initial set record in Panasonic history!). And each of meetings had some features being thrown into dust bin (as it lowered development costs).

They had been last to the plate, but now they plan to get richest clients. You must note that camera companies managers now spend around 80% of all time talking with and researching members of top 2-3% income in US and similar developed countries.

• management made 3 sequential price hikes during prototypes discussion meetings, as they did not meet their margin targets initially (even initial set record in Panasonic history!). And each of meetings had some features being thrown into dust bin (as it lowered development costs).

lol & sad

@Vitaly_Kiselev , this reminds me of a small local company that I work with: they are trying to grow through rising prices but they already reached the objetive price for the type of item they sell. Nobody thinks that they are a luxury brand and no one will, to change the prices needs to change the look of the brand too, and that also requires a lot of money expend on marketing an such. Not the same picture but maybe the same principle.

• @Knotbar

I always tell - look at price hike at real goods redistribution. Like Panasonic just went in your home, got your big TV and half the savings, and went out without doing anything.

Some form of real free market exist only in certain places where lot of people do not coordinate and also make similar or same products. Cameras are not the same. Even in US or EU retail it is draconian price control measured to not allow price reductions. For example, due to this poor small shops frequently like to sell you fake "open box" items.

Consider that all Japanese managers will have exactly same Asian t-shirt factory salary, fixed, no matter that. Death penalty for any attempt to cheat. Will they want to hunt for profits since this moment in time? Answer are pretty obvious. This is why they hold to capitalism with all their teeth similar to piranhas.

• Canon's FF 50mm 1.2 is listed at $2299.00 on B&H

• @Vitaly_Kiselev

Even in US or EU retail it is draconian price control measured to not allow price reductions.

And it eventually ends filtering to the second hand market: people selling used goods at nonsense high prices. In my country we are still strugling with the problems of the real state bubble and the next crisis is already ongoing, the rent & sell prices are hiking and banks start selling loans again like madmen. Exhausting. But I don't want to go totally offtopic. Maybe this is a great lens, and if it is not I hope the buyers will not to be ashamed to return it to the seller :-)