Personal View site logo
Z-CAM E1 Camera 100 Mbps hack for 4K DCI (fw v0.31)
  • 382 Replies sorted by
  • @nutsey, you said:

MCTF on/off control byte should be at 0x5A10D8 in 0.31 fw file.

I need real address in RAM because I work with memory map. Do you work with E1 firmware too?

• "Do you work with E1 firmware too?"

Not really as I don't have the cam but I'm looking for a chance to get one used. I've got some experience with other Amba A7/A9/A12/H22 devices.

"I need real address in RAM because I work with memory map."

I can be wrong but it seems like the adj settings are loaded into memory before ambashell script. Anyway you can locate the memory offset for this byte by searching for the surrounding bytes as it is loaded as binary.

• @storyboardcreativity

Have you tried running test ambashell commands?

• @nutsey, yes. But it's difficult because I can't get ambash log (it does not write terminal history to file - reconstructing debug routines that were not compiled is very difficult).

(">" symbol does not work too - example: {command} > c:\1.txt)

• @nutsey, is there any way to connect to ambash in realtime through wi-fi or usb?

• @storyboardcreativity '>' and '>>' should work but not every shell command gives output.

Linux to RTOS communication is possible with dbus which seems to be disabled here.

• @nutsey, yes, I've already found, that RTOS output is disabled. Now I'm writing function in ARM byte-code to force output to file.

• Perhaps @vitaliy_kiselev can get the source code from his friends at z-cam

• @zcream, I'm interested in DSP architecture. I still can't understand, what instructions does it use. In all SDKs modules for DSP are precompiled (binaries only).

• @zcream

I can try to talk about any small help.

• If we get source we also have DSP API calls. There will be an init routine that will set mctf, for example. Also, colorspace and jpeg quality will be in init for encoder

• @zcream and @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I already have sources for another camera with Ambarella SoC (full SDK without DSP microcode sources). It helps me to reverse-engineer API calls (obviously, prototypes are the same). E1 sources can be very interesting because of some things I can't understand now:

• We can't set h264 bitrate higher than 65535999 (Real bitrate = our value % 65536000)
    • For some reason ambash logging system to file does not work (but code exists and is executed for each command)
    • Camera freezes after some time of recording when we increase VBR percent and overall bitrate is higher than 100 Mb/s (no messages, just freeze). Because of no any logging we can't understand the reason. But we know, that 100 Mb/s is NOT a highest bitrate possible (MJPEG works on ~200 Mb/s)

Bitrate problems are not in RTOS code. It's in DSP microcode. But I don't know, how to reverse it :c

• Don't forget Jason Chang was Developer from this Chipset he Works with 100% with undocument Tricks

• Vitali .. or Zcam give the linux code Open Source

• Which one is better for the 1080p30 mode: h.264 100Mbps GOP=1 or MJPEG with the same bitrate?

• @storyboardcreativity

What kind of SDK you mean?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, you said:

_ Yet I can try to talk about any small help._

• Well, they made a lot of promises and released a camera with a lot of issues (sync sound being one of them). Then release a new product and only support the E1 when resources allow. They never officially out up FW 0.31 on the E1 support page and make you download it through google drive. It's all a little suspect in my humble opinion. Keep up the good work @storyboardcreativity!

• @CFreak

My own position on this is such.

Z-CAM is going wrong way, to more expensive cinema camera market that is small, crowded and extremely competitive.

I think E1 project premature closure was an error and instead they should do E1 Mk II.

• @CFreak, I've made first version of RTOS logging firmware version and... I bricked my camera :DDD

Camera still starts up without sd-card (when it can't find sd-card, it does not try to write log) - I can reupload old firmware. But it's funny :)

• Logging Firmware is Ready!

Done! Now debug information is always written to "ambhis.l" file in root of sd-card. I mean, all low-level info like recording start/stop, errors and other info. I've uploaded firmware file to my repository.

• Z-Cam supported the crappy E1 (that most people bought for $200 and then whined about how it wasn't as good as more expensive cameras) (I was on the kickstarter and it was a $700 camera for me - which I hated, sold, and never have to worry about again) with new firmware updates for longer than other companies supported much more expensive cameras. I wouldn't expect much more in the way of updates for the E1.

It also seems like a number of the problems with that camera came from their choice to use a third-party chipset which, itself, had a number of problems.

• Sherlock is back :)

I have some new info about H.264 freezes on high bitrate. With my modified firmware I can get a full recording log info. And look at this:

[0;31m[00066457][CA9_0] ## DSP assertion(0x00000040)

[0;31m[00066457][CA9_0] ## The print is only valid after ucode 229729

I get these messages on time moment when freeze comes. As we can see, DSP crashes on code assertion. Well, I have good news and bad news.

Good: It's not a sd-card bus problem (it means that we can go higher by h.264 bitrate). Video recording and writing to ".MOV" does not stop, but next frames are always same (VIN freezes and stops updating frames in frame buffer). In log after DSP error we can see this:

[0;37m[00075325][CA9_0] ## Wait main encoder idle time out

[0;37m[00077867][CA9_0] ## DSP no response from VIN!

Bad: I don't know DSP ucode instruction set => we can't understand, what this assertion is (maybe DSP temperature???)