Personal View site logo
Story of Idiots: Raspberry Pi
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • @Energy80s

Get any good mobile, player or TV modern chip. Design board with added IO chip, it is not expensive. Profit.

As you have strong community lot of code will be quickly adapted and ported as it is still same architecture.

Proper cheap way to do internet radio now (if you really, absolutely want DIY) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP32-Aduio-Kit-WiFi-Bluetooth-module-ESP32-serial-to-WiFi-ESP32-Aduio-Kit-audio-development-board/32947719301.html

Present most normal people use Echo and similar devices guides by voice and such to listen to internet radios.

• I've been a fan of the Raspberry Pi since before it existed! And got one of the first 10,000 made. Since then I've got the Pi2, Pi3 and the 2 different versions of the Pi Zero. It has taught me a lot about Linux and I have made some cool projects out of them over the years - including running a full streaming internet radio station on the Pi Zero for four quid! Yes, there are a lot of newer / faster SBC's out there (like the Latte Panda) but they cost a lot more too. I think the problem with updating the Pi is that Moores Law has pretty much ceased to exist, so any major changes will cost a lot of money to impliment (essentially a re-design of the board) so losing out the the major selling point of the Pi ... its low cost.

• @Shaveblog

Being fan does not mean you need to be irrational. The most I hate fans, fans of anything. And here we have attack of the fan.

I never mentioned that you need to perform hardware upgrade for already working thing.

But original Raspberry Pi idea was to be like little computer with nice media capabilities and it really sucks here now.

Allwinner H6 (that Orange Pi is using) and RK3399 (used by few other newer clones) can do much more in modern media department. New S922X will also find its place, as I know, in at least three Pi like things.

Making it doing computer like tasks using very slow Ethernet is also strange, as brand new assembled Apollo Lake based mini PC with 4G/64 NAND cost below $100 delivered during sales that happen each month. Z8350 based it can be found for $60-$80.

Idea instead to put it into each task is just irrational, as for small WiFi things ESP32 simple, cheap and small things exist. If you do router related things, just use any proper one with modern open source firmware (also exist mods communities, firms with very complex own OS and firmware ala MikroTik, etc) .

If you have director going on how instead of focusing on product they need to appeal to rich and have nice shops - it is huge red warning sign to stay away. We can be months from patriotic songs on how you must not use Chinese products and how Raspberry Pi is choice of true patriot :-)

Some relevant charts:

Network speed issues

Eben Upton:

"I don’t have a route to do something this year, I think we kind of understand what featureset we want [and] what would be involved in getting that featureset. I don’t think we have a defined plan for turning that into a product yet."

"What you’ve seen us do with Pi is, with the three and half generations that we’ve done, add progressively larger ARM cores to the side of a basically-fixed 40nm system design," he said. "We could keep putting larger ARM cores on the side, but what you’d find is that we couldn’t afford the energy involved in toggling all the transistors that are in those cores so you’ve kind of reached a performance maximum for that process node."

sa6943.jpg
    597 x 516 - 54K
    sa6944.jpg
    603 x 525 - 55K
    sa6945.jpg
    595 x 452 - 53K
  • As someone with five RasPi’s all over the house performing various functions (AirPlay receivers, whole house ad-blockers), I find it amusing to see Dear Leader dismiss the Raspberry Pi platform for the unforgiveable sin of Just Working. Vitaliy, why is your metric for relevance “constant updates”? This from the guy cheerleading Sandy Bridge, “Pride of 2011”? EOL, LOL, let’s call the whole thing off.

I’m honestly curious: why do you care if today’s Raspberry Pi continues doing the one task it’s assigned, 24/7, zero downtime, for $30 outlay and $2/yr. in electrical bills? My Pi’s will still be doing their single-task jobs perfectly, year in and year out, when the GH28’s getting piled on by the last PVer left, for the unphorgivable phail of not having a cup holder. If MikeLinn’s still around by then maybe he can link to a video of someone swanning around their man cave with a full frame Sony that’s got FOUR cup holders.

I understand the clickbait appeal of urinating on all things happening outside your circle jerk, but really, Raspberry Pi? Calm down, get some sleep, and think this through some more. There are lots of “Teams Of Idiots” ruining once-great brands, I agree with you. Lenovo, Logitech (current iteration, not the golden gods who made my K811), maybe even Panasonic. They’re all Teams Of Idiots now. But I submit that anyone who thinks the whole Pi thing’s DOA because of a specific Broadcom chip going EOL, well, perhaps there’s room for one more.

• @Energy80s

Actually their director (or someone similar) gave interview recently and told that they do not plan to introduce anything within this year and will focus on exactly things you see above.

• Normally they announce new products on their birthday, which is at the end of the month, so we'll see if anything "really" new emerges then (or if it is just more of the same old SOC).

• R.I.P. Radio Shack...

Or should I say rPi RadioShack ?

• Well, they're dealing with the issue that their chosen SoC is EOL (end-of-life) and basically can't be updated.