Personal View site logo
Humble Editing System
  • Will be posting some ideas about affordable editing system for high volume videos editing.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Computers

Storage structure

Note that good SATA SSD drives can have average IOPS that is still very good for most usage scenarios.

NVME best drives have much higher IOPS, especially 4K ones, but have real issues with low depth queries.

Optane drives are unique that they behave excellent in such case

Infiniband with RDMA allow you to work with remote NVME almost as if it is local drive.

And as you dump next finished project in extremely short time, you are free while scripts on storage box are sorting them and storing on HDDs with proper doubling.

NTFS is faster and have much less issues in everyday usage.

ReFS is much more reliable and can survive things NTFS can't.

sa6769.jpg
    604 x 807 - 70K
    sa6802.jpg
    719 x 573 - 42K
  • I thought that ReFS creation was no longer available in Windows 10 post-build 1709 (except in Workstation/Enterprise editions). Also, are there any decent tools to repair ReFS yet?

For the storage server with remote backup/permanent storage, I'd consider using ZFS. I'm not sure how good Infiniband support is in FreeBSD/FreeNAS, but you could probably just use ZFS for Linux on some Linux variant with good support for it.

I'd also replace the SATA boot drive with another NVMe drive. Given how much the rest of the NVMe and hard drives cost, the total percentage increase isn't very high.

• I thought that ReFS creation was no longer available in Windows 10 post-build 1709 (except in Workstation/Enterprise editions). Also, are there any decent tools to repair ReFS yet?

Well, thing is that for good fast work with files over networks you need Pro for Workstation edition anyway :-) But any edition supports working with ReFS fine, only does not support formatting in it :-)

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/21443/going-further-40gb-and-56gb-infiniband-for-cheap-mellanox-and-windows-10#Item_3

For the storage server with remote backup/permanent storage, I'd consider using ZFS. I'm not sure how good Infiniband support is in FreeBSD/FreeNAS, but you could probably just use ZFS for Linux on some Linux variant with good support for it.

As it is topic with my thoughts (together with other topics) it won't have any Linux/BSD related stuff, none.
    If someone likes it - fine, but not here. Tools I use and my time does not allow this.

I'd also replace the SATA boot drive with another NVMe drive. Given how much the rest of the NVMe and hard drives cost, the total percentage increase isn't very high.

On consumer platforms my approach is optimal - see https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/21405/amd-am4-motherboards-selection-guide-for-video-editors#Item_12.
    Good SATA SSD will give you similar performance results as NVME drive as sequential read speeds are not the limit for this drive. Plus we have connection to other NVME drives with same speed and IOPS as they are local ones.

Can check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4389/ssd-disks-and-nand-memory-price-watch/p4 as buying now expensive SSDs, especially large NVMe ones is not best idea.

On HEDT it is all much simpler, but saving money where it is possible is still good habit. It is called humble for a reason. Every idiot can make such and ask you to throw thousands without need.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Would it be feasible to build an switch on top of this storage server (vitual machine? windows server?), as per linked video, or would it degrade the performance of the system? (aiming to have 4 10G links and 8 1g links)

• @RoadsidePicnic

I think it is best to ask in the 10Gbit topic.
    10Gbit made up switch won't support RDMA, I think.
    And it is cheaper to get ready one, see corresponding topic.

If you look into structure here - it is not using any switches and is using Infiniband.