Personal View site logo
AMD Radeon VII GPU is made for video editing
  • 51 Replies sorted by
  • @leonbeas

Made separate topic as will be simpler to find.

It is very nice patch.

• Can you tell more about "NVIDIA limiting encoders "?

I found a way to remove that limit, no problems for about 3 months of use https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch

• Vegas uses multiple cores and gpu rendering for timeline performance as well or better than any other nle these days. Legacy and 3rd party fx may often be cpu single core only plugins that bottleneck vegas pro, but the base engine can use 32 or even 64 threads

Vegas code is total nightmare, this is from talk with former developer. And in reality, outside main rendering code and encoder it have real issues with modern instructions and proper parallelism.
    It is reason why they modify even basic features making them into... plugins.
    Because for around 70% of Vegas code no one actually fully understand how it works, as people long time left and most of new team members are not much experienced in all this.
    Yes, Magix uses their usual soft force approach with lot of freedom and not much money, but I am afraid that with present CEO it works bad as I see fast reduction of Vegas users. Get their latest announcement during NAB during private meeting that had almost no press present and where company spend more than good real stand on NAB. Personal idea of Magix CEO as he told me.

My issue is rendering where another guys TR1950x Vega 10 frontier edition machine shows the fastest rendering tests ever seen in vegas using Magix vce encoding (faster than an i9-9900 gtx2080ti machine using nvenc encoding even). My machine takes over twice as long with a supposedly better gpu thus my question. I have some sort of wattman throttling going on and can't sort out where it's coming from.

Well, it is very specific thing in this case, may be Vegas just not properly recognize latest GPU features and not using most. Such things happened with Adobe products and Nvidia cards before.

• That's totally incorrect @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Vegas uses multiple cores and gpu rendering for timeline performance as well or better than any other nle these days. Legacy and 3rd party fx may often be cpu single core only plugins that bottleneck vegas pro, but the base engine can use 32 or even 64 threads, with gpu acceleration to give smooth timeline playback using 4K-60p h.264 with fx applied. Even with 4K-30p h.265 hlg footage timeline playback is perfectly smooth on my machine. My issue is rendering where another guys TR1950x Vega 10 frontier edition machine shows the fastest rendering tests ever seen in vegas using Magix vce encoding (faster than an i9-9900 gtx2080ti machine using nvenc encoding even). My machine takes over twice as long with a supposedly better gpu thus my question.

I have some sort of wattman throttling going on and can't sort out where it's coming from.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer

I just built up a tr1950x, asrock x399, radeon 7, 32gig ddr4 2400 box and I'm getting just mediocre performance from the MSI radeon 7. Everything else shows good results in the few tests I've done except the gpu. Rendering the 'red car test' in Vegas Pro 16 is about double the times that others are getting with lesser AMD setups

Vegas can have no use for powerful GPU in this test. As for better results - they can have better CPU (for Vegas it can be fewer cores that are faster!_ and memory that is much faster than 2400. Most of Vegas code and routines are very ancient made for 1-2 core CPUs and with lack of parallelism in some parts.

I suggest to check in Resolve after reading how to do proper config and such.

• @kellar42 Based on Max's testing it doesn't look like it:

• Would this theoretically be the best thing I could buy for an external GPU mac setup on FCPX?

• Any suggestions for trouble shooting poor performance from one of these cards?

I just built up a tr1950x, asrock x399, radeon 7, 32gig ddr4 2400 box and I'm getting just mediocre performance from the MSI radeon 7. Everything else shows good results in the few tests I've done except the gpu. Rendering the 'red car test' in Vegas Pro 16 is about double the times that others are getting with lesser AMD setups. I've tried all the different drivers and think I have it set up right, but need suggestions where to look, or if I just have a dud of a card?

Cheers, Pete

• I need new graphics card, and NVIDIA limiting encoders was a terrible discovery for me.

Can you tell more about "NVIDIA limiting encoders "?

Navi will be low end cards, much slower. And will be available only around one year from now.

• It looks like this is a beast of gpu for video editing, will upcoming lower end NAVI, be in the same league?

I need new graphics card, and NVIDIA limiting encoders was a terrible discovery for me.

Guys please share your experience in real world editing please.

Thanks all

• More tests

sa6878.jpg
    800 x 181 - 27K
    sa6879.jpg
    800 x 184 - 28K
    sa6880.jpg
    800 x 178 - 27K
  • sa6876.jpg
    800 x 531 - 56K
    sa6877.jpg
    800 x 527 - 56K

In DaVinci Resolve we have an extensive project of more than an hour to eventually export image material as a h264 file. In it, the Radeon VII is the fastest video card, but the RX Vega 64 was also very fast and could halve the total render time of the RTX 2080.

https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/9051/19/amd-radeon-vii-review-nieuwe-kans-voor-vega-op-7-nanometer-extra-davinci-resolve-blender-gpgpu-en-overklokken

Same strange numbers repeat.

https://tweakers.net/reviews/6842/17/amd-radeon-vii-videokaart-vechten-tegen-de-rtx-bierkaai-gpu-versnelling.html

We put together a series of tests for both Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve exporting 8K and 4K footage into HD, with and without GPU-accelerated effects added. It's not worth showing the results, though, because the difference between the various cards was negligible. Using no GPU acceleration noticeably slowed down the exports, but the difference between our older 980 Ti and the Radeon VII was only a few seconds.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/07/amd-radeon-vii-review-video-4k-benchmarks/

sa6875.jpg
    602 x 117 - 15K
    sa6882.jpg
    637 x 185 - 18K

Due to HBM memory, board is really cheap and simple.

Yet AMD saved another $0.3 by removing reserve BIOS chip, so in case of any BIO update issue your card is toast.

sa6874.jpg
    800 x 355 - 81K
  • Unboxing videos are up

14 phases using, as it seems, IR power stages, plus few other smaller phases for stuff.

On board we see 4 phases not soldered.

All tantalum capacitors (looks like black flat things not resembling normal capacitors).

sa6810.jpg
    800 x 617 - 111K
  • So, no ray tracing to do Hollywood level 3D effects, and something closer to, or less than, a rtx 2080TI, or less than better Pro cards, at 8k video editing?

• @leonbeas

I think best is to compare in Davinci, as Adobe developers are really slow and not too focused on GPU acceleration.

By idea difference in any effects between 960 (that is like 1050 Ti) and 1080 Ti must be massive as calc power is 4 times different.

• I'm also interest in knowing this question, on how will it behave in Adobe, they claim a 30% increase but that's weird. The difference between OLD GTX like 960 and 1080TI are unnoticeable unless you render/scrub huge 4k massive files, don really know how the new RTX card are performing but, those 30% are at least intriguing.

• @Firworks

Be very skeptical about tests made by commercial company who are extremely interested to sell you most expensive items possible.

Tests usually are legit, but projects and details they select will be always extremely carefully made to get result they need.

• I really hope Puget Systems gives this card a chance in their suite of tests. I'm very interested to see how it manages in Adobe CC applications (outside of AMD's 'benchmark data' there).

sa6413.jpg
    707 x 397 - 39K