Personal View site logo
Olympus most expensive and last m43 camera comes in January
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • @eatstoomuchjam

there's almost 0 excuse for making a bigger camera.

Actually it is Japanese managers logic. As they increased profits on body around 5-6 times compared to GH2 times they wanted this to be visible - and size increase helps. Plus it actually makes camera much cheaper, as main LSI can be designed and made in around 4x cheaper price and this compensated with bigger heatsink.

• Wow. I'm not bothering to watch that EM1X video, but if those images in the preview are to scale, Olympus will have managed to make a Micro 4/3 camera around the same size as like a D750. The GH5 is already huge for a Micro 4/3 camera - there's almost 0 excuse for making a bigger camera.

• Rumors are that dealers are very unhappy with upcoming model and preliminary initial orders will be very small

One dealer even told that Olympus representative was so upset that told they can cease all new m43 bodies manufacturing since March in case of bad perception of this new camera. As Olympus management hope for very big profits (margin is around 300-350% for manufacturer) and if they will be absent whole department can be axed.

43rumors report 20 January announcement, may be they are right, my source tells that it'll be from after CES to late January without date.

sa6028.jpg
    690 x 544 - 63K
    sa6029.jpg
    692 x 618 - 62K
    sa6030.jpg
    696 x 725 - 73K
  • In 2019 Sony will buy both Olympus and GoPro. :-p

• @Manu4Vendetta

Possibility that it is last Olympus m43 camera (that will be wide sold, not only in Asia and Japan) is around 50-60% (my personal judgment).

• 'last m43 camera?' WTF

• @Vaterfreuden

I am very careful with wording here.

It can be such, but can be as you told. Depends on how things will unwind. I just want to remind not to use

sa6019.jpg
    800 x 254 - 36K
  • And with 8 lenses coming in 2019 ist is nearly clear that you have curious sources or you want them really Go Down with Camera Department https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62027673

• Vitaliy- what you hear or read is sometimes really strange. There will be new lenses and new cameras in 2019 and you talk about shutting down camera department. Olympus is really pushing forward. Sorry. But at the moment this looks like complete hater troll.

• @pureaxis

Rumors in industry is that it had been done intentionally. As Olympus top management need some clear reason to shut or sell cameras department. And this camera can help with this a lot.

Sony is also in talks with Olympus due to intellectual property and engineers, especially ones related to lenses. In 2020 m43 actually can be cheap Sony lineup with medium lineup going to FF.

It can be that around end of 2019 we will have TOTAL 2-3 m43 cameras left on the market.

• that looks awful, so long olympus it was good while it lasted

• Horror

sa6015.jpg
    697 x 783 - 101K
    sa6016.jpg
    661 x 579 - 60K
  • The new Olympus E-M1X is also rumored to have “AI autofocus”.

It is move into right direction, but using wrong methods and not assisted by proper sensor and hardware.

• Olympus had discussions with multiple dealers and told the price of the E-M1X is around $3,000. Most dealers are now pushing Olympus to lower the price as they think $3,000 is too high. Let’s see who wins.

Seems like 43rumors have not much to post lately.

• Autofocus: Adaptive and expandable focal points. Two examples. If you are shooting a person, then shift to shooting a car, the number of focal points will automatically expand. If you are shooting a basketball player, you will get a vertical series of 5 focal points.

Seems like someone of managers found old compact camera under his desk :-)

• The camera is the perfect working tool. It’s worth the high price of $3,000, I guess from what I’ve seen.

Nicer and nicer.

• Name: E-M1X OMD camera
    • Sensor: 20MP
    • Frame rate: 18fps
    • 7.5+ EV
    • Body Size: 144.37 x 146.765 x 75.345mm (body with a built in vertical grip)
    • High Res: Can shoot handheld High Resolution images (around 80MP)
    • Photography focus: Sports and Wildlife shooters
    • Launch: January 2019

Close to reality.

It'll be very expensive photo body that they plan to sell in minimal amounts.

• It’s confirmed it can take 80MP images
    • It works at 1/60s
    • It works perfectly with people too if they stand reasonably still.

Pentax made such mode in latest FF camera, and it does not work too good. Compared to tripod mode it is much much worse.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So, they won't go out of business next year? :P

• @Eno

I am very surprised they are doing so good.

• New Olympus Q2 financial report: Reduced revenue due the intensified competition in the Imaging Business

Olympus issued the Q2 financial report and new revised forecast documents. And while the company as a whole is doing well there are only bad news coming from their Imaging Business:

They reported a 9.2 million YEN operating profit loss. But what worries me most is that they had to hugely revise their forecast for the year to year basis. Profit is now expected to drop by -13% instead of the previously estimated -7%. https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/data/brief/2019.html

forecast.jpg
    700 x 247 - 118K
    Q2.jpg
    700 x 389 - 180K

Some size references.

sa5463.jpg
    582 x 259 - 60K