Personal View site logo
BlackMagic Resolve: Fight with pirates and beginning of a fall
  • BMD became aware toward the end of November that counterfeit Resolve dongles were appearing on-line, particularly on eBay. In fact, a quick eBay search for DaVinci Resolve shows dozens vendors selling Resolve dongles under $200. The visuals used by the vendors are often unbranded dongles.

When Blackmagic became aware of this, they were able to defeat the pirated dongles in an already-planned 15.2.1 supplemental update.

Cool, so now this guys will move to the cracked version of Studio. Kind of education with punishment of people who had no idea if dongle is legit or not.

Very good engineers that lead BM will finally put so much features and code into Resolve that it'll start to be known as real buggy monster. 2018 was first year where BM added intentional significant flaws, like lack of H,264/HEVC acceleration in the free version. I think 2019 will be finally where Studio version will move into monthly payments plan and free version will be significantly restricted since v16.

• 36 Replies sorted by
  • I think you are wrong. Your emotions are running too high! "punishment of people" , "real buggy monster" & "intentional significant flaws" are just silly statements.

• @caveport

Am I right about punishment of people who bough used keys on ebay not knowing about any future issues? Of course. As BM is turning into capitalist monster, slowly but steadily. If you remember they said openly that they will be going out of keys usage, and I believe it is first sign of it, new will follow soon.

Am I right about buggy monstrosity? Also spot on. As number of minor releases and amount of bugs fixed is growing exponentially past year.

Am I right about intentional significant flaws? I just have no other name where company specifically disable basic feature making huge difference in work experience and rendering speed.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Am I right about punishment of people who bough used keys on ebay not knowing about any future issues?" No. (pirated dongles)

"Am I right about buggy monstrosity?" No. Less buggy than previous versions. I use daily since version 8.

"Am I right about intentional significant flaws?" No. Free version has missing features. Same (or less) as other editing software. (Avid, Premiere etc.) If there were no free version you would not make this statement. You get what you pay for, after all this is Capitalism.

• @caveport

I stay fully with my opinion and it is based on my experience and my principles.

• "I stay fully with my opinion and it is based on my experience and my principles."

Yet you chastise others for having opinions rather than facts. Maybe you should do a little more research on the company you like to criticise? My opinion is also based on my personal experience and principles.... so what?

Predicting the future is a fool's game.

• Yet you chastise others for having opinions rather than facts. Maybe you should do a little more research on the company you like to criticise? My opinion is also based on my personal experience and principles.... so what?

I ask people to get knowledge instead of standing for their unfounded opinions.

You can be amazed on amount of data I collected and research I made considering BM. It is one of the most interesting companies, including sources of their finances.

Predicting the future is a fool's game.

Predicting future of most capitalist software companies regarding mentioned things is pretty easy. Hard to miss.

• I am with @caveport on this one. (except the last post - that's a little rough :) )

1) BM have repeatedly said on their Resolve forum that people should NOT buy EBAY dongles. I bought mine second hand from a local guy who had packaging and was clearly a legitimate second hand seller.

2) No more bugs than Vegas or Premier. They have introduced a lot of new features and it is a bit of an arms race right now.

3) I didn't experience any "crippling" of the free version. Just missing features that I was willing to pay for. Someone said h264 playback was better in the Studio version, but I didn't notice any difference.

4) Going to subscription model? Maybe. Hope not. Will drop it like a brick if it does.

• BM have repeatedly said on their Resolve forum that people should NOT buy EBAY dongles

So, each one must first visit their forum and find appropriate topic? Seriously?

And adding one more check is called "fighting with dongles"? It is not fighting, it is stimulating manufacturers and sellers to make new version.

No more bugs than Vegas or Premier. They have introduced a lot of new features and it is a bit of an arms race right now.

It is not lot of bugs if you stay within old code areas and not go much into Fusion and Audio stuff.
    They work hard on fixing bugs, but for now project features grow really fast.

I didn't experience any "crippling" of the free version. Just missing features that I was willing to pay for. Someone said h264 playback was better in the Studio version, but I didn't notice any difference.

I wrote about specific thing, and we even have older topic. Even marketing department had been told to hide this fact.

Going to subscription model? Maybe. Hope not. Will drop it like a brick if it does.

After their integration stage will be finished they will move to this. According to my source it'll start from certain consumers category. Same source told that it had been discussed several strategies to drop or restrict dongles support (to make people pay for next versions) without much damage to income and image.

• Only comment I would make regarding subscription:

They have aggressive pricing in order to convert customers from other NLE's, particularly Adobe. They will be aware that a lot of those converts come because they dislike subscriptions, so this may work against any attempt to go to a full subscription model. I am sure MOST software companies want to be subscription based; but most do not have the extortion power to achieve it. That said, I think it would be more likely for BM to do this, than say, MAGIX.

• Wow, didn't know people actually made counterfeit dongles. I recently purchased an under $200 Resolve dongle from ebay, but the pictures looked just like the real ones. And no, I didn't see the warnings on BM's forum because I stopped visiting that site long ago. I figured it was cheap because they broke them up from BM camera products. Anyways, don't know if it's real or not yet since it hasn't arrived. I'm also trying to switch from Adobe.

Update: Looks like I got a real one. Works on 15.2.1, doesn't have the bolded font on "Resolve" on the dongle, and has a green light.

• A few years ago, there was a young man and a young lady who were excited to have found each other. They were both a bit immature and both had a lot of growing up to do, but got married anyway, with high hopes for the future.

As time went by the husband matured and was moderately successful in part due to his wife and could afford the basic necessities and could even splurge on a vintage lens, the kind that completed his life in a way that a his wife could not.

His wife turned out to be a great choice in a partner. She was interested in learning and growing and worked hard to meet and anticipate her husband’s needs.

As time went by, she matured, focused on self-improvement and became more and more attractive, with more and more to offer. Some would say she was now the hottest wife around.

Even though she could have, she didn’t leverage her husband based on her increasing attractiveness and status.

Her husband was really happy with his wife, but he had a nagging fear that she had some type of alternative motive and she would eventually take advantage of the growing power imbalance in the relationship.

He could not get this thought out of his mind, so he could not enjoy what he had right in front of him.

He eventually wound up accusing her of setting him up to be taken advantage of by her inceasing position of power.

She did not have put up with this, yet to have happened accusation and stopped considering him in her decisions. Eventually, she gave him an ultimatum: if you want to be with me, you’re gonna have to pay my rent every month.

He thought to himself: why didn’t I just enjoy my hot wife when she was being with me for free?

Maybe if I would have shown my appreciation, she would still be with me for free today?

...maybe not, but if she was secrectly planning on leveraging him, worrying wasn’t going to change her plans and this same worry stole the joy that he could have had everyday they were together until she had a change of heart.

I’m enjoying Resolve more than ever - thanks Blackmagic! I’m going to keep on enjoying it while the upgrades continue to be free. If I have to pay again as an upgrade or a subscription, if there is not something better, I will pay without complaint, if the price is fair, as it has been thus far, IMHO.

• @majoraxis

Nice story. :-) Let putting soul into software made by ruthless corporation is a little over the top.

• "ruthless corporation" is a little over the top. They are ALL "ruthless corporations" to you, so why select some for special criticism? Compared to others, BMD are quite reasonable in their business model. I have had MUCH worse experiences with SONY (and other companies) over the years so I don't agree with your viewpoint.

"I ask people to get knowledge instead of standing for their unfounded opinions." Exactly my point!

• @caveport

They are ALL "ruthless corporations" to you, so why select some for special criticism?

Well, it is my blog. And this post is about BM. Others will be about different stuff.

• Let's look at facts.

Have they EVER charged for major updates since they reduced the cost of Resolve from $300 000 ?

Since what..version 9 ? If you owned the full version of resolve sine then you've NEVER paid to have the most up to date version. And look at the features that have been added while you've been getting those free updates.

I don't even use the new audio / VFX apps. I hate that the download is so much bigger now to install features I don't even use. But it still runs fine for me. Resolve has ALWAYS been a processor hungry app to run.

The free versions are limited only in minor ways. I can't recall what they are now, but it used to be the free version was the SAME as the full version except you couldn't use multiple GPUs, it wouldn't deliver higher than HD (but i think it's 4K now) and no NR ?

But functionally the SAME machine with no limitations. I know many high end post places doing work for paying customers using the free version of Resolve all the time !!

So they made a product that used to cost mid six figures into a product almost anyone can afford, made a free version that's nearly identical and limited in a few small ways, haven't yet charged for a SINGLE major update for 5 years if you're a registered owner, so that's 5 years worth of free updates ? They've made a free version that's fully useable that isn't event number crippled and isn't watermarked...

What exactly are we complaining about ? You heard a rumour they want to switch to a subscription model ?

JB

• @johnbrawley

Nice to see you, just notice to readers - John is close to BM.

Have they EVER charged for major updates since they reduced the cost of Resolve from $300 000 ?

No, John. My source (who I trust) told that inside they had discussions that after Fusion and audio part will be fully and organically integrated they need to think about this, as well as monthly plan. It'll be all very soft and nice, but it will happen. I do not know that will happen with Free version.

The free versions are limited only in minor ways. I can't recall what they are now, but it used to be the free version was the SAME as the full version except you couldn't use multiple GPUs, it wouldn't deliver higher than HD (but i think it's 4K now) and no NR ?

Present version has some intentional performance cuts, including largest one - disabling hardware H,264/HEVC decoding (Intel QS and such), actually it is written above. BM made it silently, and it took quite an effort to get them to acknowledge this. They have more smaller ones. So, not only multiple GPUs that most small people do not care about.

So they made a product that used to cost mid six figures into a product almost anyone can afford, haven't yet charged for a SINGLE major update if you're a registered owner, so that's 5 years worth of free updates ?

You mean we need to prepare place to make them some monument?

Or seriously think they do it due to nice kind heart? No, John.

Thing that they do is called dumping, suggest you to read some economic book on this.

Do not worry, BM investors want their money back and with good hefty profit, so, stay tuned.

What exactly are we complaining about ? You heard a rumour they want to switch to a subscription model ?

It is you who complain about by post and want to defend them. They do not need this.

And after some time you even will be embarrassed reading this old post.

• The generosity of the free version & upgrades only makes sense commercially as a strategy to convert users from other NLE's. Even a long trial version would not have been enough for Resolve as it is unusual and complex to learn.

There must be a point at which upgrades will be charged for, and free versions will be extremely limited or non-existent. That is expected in is OK.

The only question for me: will they offer a reasonable upgrade price, and will they avoid railroading users into a subscription model?

There is evidence that BM prefer to keep a low price/high value point (just look at their hardware) so I am hopeful.

• @kinvermark

There is evidence that BM prefer to keep a low price/high value point (just look at their hardware) so I am hopeful.

Read some books with history of similar companies. Ones who used price dumping to get market. Of course, it is tiny chance that BM is not such, it is exception and was sent by god to compensate all the suffering and torture that awaits us ahead :-)

One thing BM know for sure is that with such complex product you can't just jump to something. This is also why Adobe approach had been so successful. All the business I talked just passed extra cost to customers and kept doing same thing and kept same people.

• I'm OK with Blackmagic changing their pricing policies on Resolve and here's why:

In order for Blackmagic to have a monopoly and charge whatever they want, they need to make superior products and drive out the competition with competitive pricing.

By the time they enviably go Darth Vader, shows their ruthless corporation pirate fight moves and exploit their customer base for massive profits, I will have had access to amazing tools I would not have otherwise had access to, at reasonable prices... and I assume I will be able to continue use the last version of these tools that I purchased outright, for as long as I want.

All in all, I'm way better off with a profitable Blackmagic than without. Who knows, they may decide to continue to charge fair prices even after they completely dominate the NLE market.

• In order for Blackmagic to have a monopoly and charge whatever they want, they need to make superior products and drive out the competition with competitive pricing.

No, it does not work this way. It is enough to have good product and dumping pricing.

Who knows, they may decide to continue to charge fair prices even after they completely dominate the NLE market.

Yes, fairy tales exist somewhere, just need to find a place.

• Got it!

You are saying that they don't have to have a superior product to "dump price" the competition out of the market. When the competition exits, we are left with a higher price for the product because of lack of competition.

So the fear would be that Apple stops improving and selling Final Cut Pro and the only competition left is Premier and Media Composer who are both subscription based, so Blackmagic could easily go to a subscription model without much pricing resistance.

It will be interesting to look back at this thread in a month, a year, or a decade to see how this really plays out.

• So the fear would be that Apple stops improving and selling Final Cut Pro and the only competition left is Premier and Media Composer who are both subscription based, so Blackmagic could easily go to a subscription model without much pricing resistance.

Apple will have big deep with FCP X usage after moving to their ARM chips anyway. Ala initial time of FCP X.

Also remember about smaller competitors, they are also slowly moving towards subscription style things.

Subscription style pricing originate not from some bad companies, it originates from software nature, as with time each of improvements is becoming narrow focused and attractive to only small number of users. Most people now already not ok to pay for 8K, VR and such. But subscription forces them to do this.

• If they disable the pirated dongles I think they're going to just be hitting a lot of people who were trying to do the right thing and now they will be punished for it. Makes me think of when FTDI went nuclear and pushed a patch killing all products using counterfeits of their RS232 adapter chips and ended up killing a lot of products from big name companies who had supply chain issues where counterfeit chips had gotten into the mix. If BMD does intend to kill those dongles I feel like they should reach out to try to gracefully move people onto legit dongles. Say, if you bought one prior to December offer a 50$ license dongle or something where people can go "This sucks but that's not THAT much more might as well do it". If someone bought a 200$ dongle a month ago so they could finally use Resolve Studio legally and then you nuke the dongle because it was counterfeit. That's pretty anti-consumer and I doubt most anyone buying those dongles considered that they might be counterfeit. If they actually wanted to circumvent the licensing they could just get a cracked version and not even mess around with the cost or hassle of the dongle.

• @Firworks BMD did not disable fake dongles. The fakes only worked with a particular version of Resolve because they were software hacks, not dongles! IMHO BMD owe nothing to people who bought fakes, just like Rolex are not responsible for fake Rolex watches. Expecting BMD to wear the financial loss for pirated software is going a bit far.

Again BMD are NOT "nuking the dongle because it was counterfeit" you are just plain wrong.

• @caveport

Do not mix stuff.

For around 1.5 years it had been dongles that worked with every version and did not have any software part.

Same time exist full cracks of Studio versions not requiring any dongles.

It is quite simple to understand that from people who did it knowingly it is medium and large firms who bough dongles, as it allow you to hide fact and simplify upgrade.