Personal View site logo
DJI OSMO Pocket
  • 145 Replies sorted by

I made a 3D printable tripod mount base for the Osmo Pocket for use on a tripod and also so it is more stable when setting it down to take a motion lapse or use the subject tracking.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3283049

P1240422small.jpg
    877 x 1080 - 606K
  • Video from the camera was not recompressed, and you can download the original to see what the camera produces.

• There is a firmware update. Key changes:

1. 1080 120P.
    2. Improved autofocus, so locks on talking head not background.
    3. Improved audio.
  • I just picked mine up today. Didn't even have to preorder. The local Best Buy had a few just sitting there.

Actual thoughts to follow... :)

• 1' sensor will be way bigger, maybe for pocket pro model?

• This was a missed opportunity for DJI. They should have put the DJI Mavic 2 Pro camera on it, with its 1" sensor and 10bit HEVC functionality.

1. DJI is now promising in its forum, that 1080 120p will be in a future firmware upgrade.

2. Original camera clips, flat mode, here: https://www.tomstechtime.com/osmopocket

• On all the review videos I have seen the Osmo is tracking the persons face but are still focusing on the background behind him. Pre release firmware or poor focus performance?

• What a fun thing to do: Influencers get a 1080/120FPS pre release software and showcases 4x slow motion. And actuall unit will only have 1080/60FPS...

Also, the mic adapter sticks out like a sore thumb from the bottom. Seems very vulnerable. And then you have to hang your mic cable from that thing as well. Everything pulling down on that USB-C connector.

This is a small device for sure. But accessories and functionality of these seems not so great thought out. And not even the action camera mount included in the package!

• Given the complete market failure that was the Karma, I wouldn't hold my breath. :P

• My wish will be a compact dji drone with a socket for the osmo pocket (ala gopro karma).

• Midway in this video you see, side-by-side, a running video with the Hero7 compared to the Osmo Pocket. What you see, amazingly, is that in day light the stabilization on the GoPro is actually better, as is the picture. In the dark, the GoPro is filled with artifacts. Panning is also less good, but that is promised to be fixed in a December firmware update.

• @EspenB Yeah - the lens is a long-time weak spot of GoPros and other similar action cameras. I have a Backbone Hero 7 coming and I'm super interested to see what I can do with it and some C-mount lenses. I got one of their kits a while ago for a Yi, but its poor-quality screen and lack of video output made checking critical focus impossible. Since the Hero 7 has HDMI output, I'm gonna give it a try with my EVF.

• not realizing it was using HEVC (twice as efficient).

It is false claim for cameras, can go to our HEVC topic and check actual efficiency research. 50% less bitrate can be used only in the case of top quality footage (like films) if you use best software encoders in slowest possible (usually extreme!) settings.

• Yes, iPhoneydo did not get an early GoPro but did get an early Osmo. He also complained multiple times about the low bitrate for the GoPro Hero7 Black, not realizing it was using HEVC (twice as efficient). But he does not complain about the low bitrate on the Pocket Osmo - 100 Mbps H264 for 4K 60P, which is the lowest bitrate for that resolution/frame rate of any camera (at H264). Yi 4K+ is 130 Mbps (but can be increased easily to 200 Mbps), the Hero7 is 80 Mbps HEVC, the GH5 is 150 Mbps etc.

• @eatstoomuchjam Great writeup.

Also note that the lens on the Osmo has a bigger "lens hood". GoPro is prone to flaring. But this all is down to the wide angle lens I guess.

The GoPro fisheye lens is what it is, but GoPros own media team does away with the fisheye look using Adobe Premiere lens correction on almost all clips (4K or not). A little bit cheating as the customers shoots will not look like Gopros own marketing material unless you are a seasoned video editor. :-p

iPhondedo is rather enthusiastic about everything DJI. And not so much for GoPro.

In any case you notice which "influencers" who gets early reviews samples from GoPro, DJI, etc during these launches.

• An approximately equivalently-priced GoPro Hero 7 Black has...
    - A much better video codec
    - Bluetooth and wifi built-in
    - An external mic adapter available for $49 (I'm guessing DJI's will be comparable)
    - (is) waterproof out of the box
    - Worse image stabilization that doesn't work at all at dusk or later
    - Overly-wide angle lens with annoying distortion

The more I think about it, the less I'm excited for the Osmo Pocket. I may end up a customer, but almost definitely not on launch day. I bet there will be some really great sales after almost nobody buys it and less positive reviews start coming out from real users... I'm pretty disappointed by iPhoneDo's enthusiasm for it without any meaningful criticism.