Personal View site logo
DJI OSMO Pocket
  • 145 Replies sorted by
  • DJI is going after the GoPro crowd:

• @eatstoomuchjam - Microphone adapter also plugs into the USB-C port.

• Ah, the wifi module plugs into the USB plug at the bottom instead of the accessory mount so it could be used along with the the microphone, probably. That's at least better.

The glamor footage at the beginning of iPhoneDo's review looked nice enough, but oh man. The pocket looked worse than the Osmo+ in his side-by-side and in several of the clips, the footage just looked like pure garbage - like the "David Lynch" shot of his wife outside and in the demo of ActiveTrack where he was completely in the shadows and the building behind him was completely blown out - not the easiest exposure, but the gimbal seemed to have exposed correctly for neither of them. Yuck.

• A maximum of 2 hours of battery life with a non-replaceable battery is really not great - and unless accessories can be chained together, it won't be possible to use a microphone and wifi at the same time? Or a microphone and the control wheel? Or any of the above and a phone?

Weak.

• This is not really a GoPro Hero7 Black killer. It's more of a mobile phone accessory.

There is no HEVC encoding or 200 FPS. And no wireless controll unless you fork out an additional 59 euro for a wireless WiFi module. Also 25 euro for the additional accessories mount (GoPro style fingers). Or you could get the entire expansion kit package together including the controll wheel with a 32 GB SD card for 109 additional euros.

I can see that this will appeal more to "family users" than GoPro cameras so GoPro Hero7 xmas sales might be in big jeopardy. Again.

• Can I use an external microphone for Osmo Pocket?

Yes, you can achieve this with the DJI Osmo Pocket 3.5mm Adapter.

• The DroneDJ folks managed to get one.

https://dronedj.com/2018/11/28/dji-osmo-pocket-revealed/

Disappointment:

You can’t plug a microphone directly into the device.

Also, it isn't mentioned, but I can't see any way that the gimbal doesn't support a wifi connection to the phone. The hardwired adapter looks like a usability and ergonomic nightmare since it would be very awkward to hold the gimbal with the phone sticking awkwardly out the side like that - and since it supports things like motion timelapse and has no tripod mount, there's basically no way to have the gimbal sit on a level surface with the phone sticking awkwardly off the side - plus, hope that a small breeze doesn't come along and catch on the great big sail of a phone sticking off the side while the gimbal precariously balances on a corner.

• Final trailer:

• Intelligent Modes such as ActiveTrack, Panorama, and Timelapse give you everything you need for the perfect shot.

Price is $399.

Must have 4K 60fps modes, 12Mp stills.

• Me too. LOVE to have that level of portability and the IQ from DJI is typically fair enough. As long as it doesn't suck ...and the price isn't silly, I'll cough up some cash.

• If the quality doesn't suck, I'm probably a customer. I'd love to have a tiny integrated gimbal like that!

• Damn, that thing is small!

It's probably glued together as the Mavic2 gimbals.

Another-day-another-photo-of-the-DJI-Osmo-Pocket-2.jpg
    634 x 1023 - 58K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev - As I use several gimbals I know the difference, but the Hero7 Black is not "shitty" but still only gimbal like (in daylight).

• @EspenB

You always need to understand that stabilization (optical, sensor or electronic!) is not replacement for gimbal, especially shitty electronic ones like in GoPro.

• I thought GoPro killed the gimbal with the hypersmooth in the Hero7 Black. ;-)

(And GoPro did to some extent. As long as the scene is in daylight it works pretty good.)