Personal View site logo
Flickr to share Vimeo fate and will go out of business soon
  • Flickr’s free accounts now are limited to 1,000 photos and videos.

Prior to this change, Flickr users on the free plan were given 1 terabyte, or 1,000 gigabytes, of free storage space at full resolution. Since 1 terabyte can hold 20,000 files weighing 50MB each (which is way more than most photos), this new limit of 1,000 files is clearly a downgrade for photo-happy Flickr photographers.

After February 5th, 2019, Flickr will begin deleting files that are over your 1,000 photo/video limit, starting from oldest to newest, until your account contains only 1,000 files.

Actually, service is performing suicide.

Service popularity is going down fast and we can see here exactly same actions Vimeo tried.

Owners want to trade long term survival for short term savings.

It is expected that service can hang next 10-12 month or so.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I see that Flickr is giving that $35 offer to everyone with this code:

https://www.flickr.com/account/upgrade/pro?coupon=FLICKRPRO30

• @eatstoomuchjam Exactly. It basically means "Free" users will not qualify for 'Explore'. They should just go the whole 9 yards and require that only "Pro" members and create, moderate and contribute to groups as well.

• If all pro members have "increased exposure," is the exposure really all that much increased? :)

• Here's one of the perks for Pro: "Increased Exposure. All Pro members as of January 1, 2019, are eligible for priority exposure in the next iteration of Explore. Coming early 2019." https://help.flickr.com/en_us/reasons-to-upgrade-to-flickr-pro-SypFn7skm

You also get 30% off if you upgrade to Pro by November 30 for your first year. Ends up being $35. I had Pro years ago and it seams like I don't qualify unfortunately.

• What's the point of not offering tiered options? Is it really impossible for them to offer something in between "free" and and "full"? I also don't need 1TB, but $20 per year is reasonable to keep it as a social platform for sharing photos.

• Yeah this is ridiculous. I have about ~4700 low res photos that take up just a few gigs. I certainly don't need 1TB by any means and I'd be happy with a large reduction in that size to someone in line with other free cloud offerings. But paying $50 a year for my usage is a terrible deal and I need to host my photos somewhere. I guess I'll go to Google Photos or something.

• I've not used Flick much lately but years ago, I used it a lot and got over 3 thousand photos on it. Now I'll have to think about how to move forward with that account. I really don't feel like deleting photos and at the same time, I really don't feel like spending $50 a year either. I'd be more comfortable if it was $20 to $30 at the most. At least in the bright side, me and a lot of people still have some time to think about this.