Personal View site logo
Blackmagic eGPU Pro - extreme margins finally
  • Blackmagic Design today announced the Blackmagic eGPU Pro, an external graphics processor featuring the blazingly fast AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics processor. Designed to accelerate pro creative software such as DaVinci Resolve, 3D games and VR, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro delivers nearly twice the performance of the original Blackmagic eGPU model and up to 22x faster performance than the built-in graphics on a 13-inch MacBook Pro.

The Blackmagic eGPU Pro features a built-in AMD Radeon RX Vega 56, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a new DisplayPort for connecting 5K displays, HDMI 2.0, 85W of charging power and four USB 3.1 connections. Designed in collaboration with Apple, the integrated design brings cutting-edge workstation-class graphics processing and computational acceleration to customers working in professional video, playing 3D games or using the latest virtual reality software.

The Blackmagic eGPU Pro will be available in November for only US$1,199 from apple.com.

The Blackmagic eGPU Pro features 8GB of HBM2 RAM, a massive 2048-bit memory interface with 410 gigabyte per second bandwidth, and 56 discreet compute units for up to 10.5 teraflops of processing power. The AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 can fill 94 billion textured pixels per second. In addition, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro supports Metal graphics technology from Apple, which provides near-direct access to the GPU for maximizing graphics and compute performance with games and applications.

With nearly 2x faster performance than the previous eGPU model, customers running DaVinci Resolve will get more realtime effects and color correction than ever before. That means they can spend more time exploring creative options and less time waiting. Customers running DaVinci Resolve on a 13-inch MacBook Pro will find that GPU-intensive operations, such as noise reduction, are up to 22x faster with the Blackmagic eGPU Pro. DaVinci Resolve 15 also supports multiple GPUs as well as Metal, so it’s the best way to get the full benefit of the Blackmagic eGPU Pro. Customers can download DaVinci Resolve 15 now free of charge from the Blackmagic Design website for the best editing, color correction, audio post and visual effects solution available.

For gamers and customers using VR software and headsets, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro delivers higher resolution images, higher frame rate gameplay, better lighting and more detailed textures for truly immersive experiences, even on a laptop computer. Plus, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro features a DisplayPort connection that can drive a 5K display.

The elegant, textured finish of the Blackmagic eGPU Pro is extruded from a single piece of aluminum and features a unique thermal cooling system that’s been designed to perfectly balance the airflow and dissipate heat more efficiently. The cooling system also enables extremely quiet operation, which is vital for those working in video production and audio engineering environments.

In addition to graphics and computational acceleration, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro is also the perfect docking hub for connecting devices such as keyboards, mice, Thunderbolt monitors, big screen HDMI televisions, 5K displays, VR headsets, high speed storage and more. It features two 40Gb/s Thunderbolt 3 connections, a built-in 4 port USB hub, DisplayPort and HDMI. Plus, the connections are ergonomically spaced, making it easy to connect and disconnect peripherals.

When it comes to power, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro has a built-in power supply that powers the GPU while also providing 85W of downstream power via Thunderbolt 3 for charging laptop computers and powering peripherals. The power supply works from 100V to 240V and features a standard IEC power connector so it can be used anywhere in the world.

“The new Blackmagic eGPU Pro is exciting because it delivers nearly twice the performance of the original model of the Blackmagic eGPU,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “Whether you’re editing and color grading professional video with DaVinci Resolve, playing 3D games or working in VR, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro gives you the latest cutting edge graphics performance and computational acceleration available. It simply makes everything faster and makes everything look better!”

Only two questions remains. First - how such price can be explained. Second - where exactly Vega 56 is 2x faster than RX 580.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • It is strong rumors in industry that BM will almost double marketing budgets for 2019 and will try to become premium brand similar to Apple with big margins for all main products.

It is also rumors that Resolve pricing and licensing will be changed in 2019 to match Adobe offering with per month price only.

• and they made 1,359€ out of 1,199USD. yes, taxes bla bla.. but this is just bold.

• Considering that the BMPCC4K is one of the only (if the only) camera I can think of that allows recording raw to USBC attached media, I don't know how BM could lock down their products to Apple's level. This ability to record to USBC is the main reason I ordered the BMPCC4K, as it opens up the camera to a level of usability not encouraged by other manufactures. Ironically it is also much less expensive than GH5s by itself- let alone in combination with an Atomos recorder. (Also much smaller than the two together) Lets also forget about the insane cost of high-speed SD or CFast memory!

There are even DIY RPi SDI connection kits that BM sell.

I don't believe you are saying that BM will 'lock down' products, VK, but when Apple is mentioned my mind does go to these thoughts.

Considering the cost of their products one could argue that they are the least expensive in the industry.

As for Resolve to be a subscription service, I don't understand why that is surprising.

All proprietary software will eventually transition to this rental model. No proprietary software is ever sold to the user, it is always licensed. I hope that all proprietary software adopts this model, so that users would understand fully what they are using, and the lack of control they have over their systems. This would motivate like minded users to pay, and support Free/Open Source alternatives (or create new alternatives). Alternatives that all users can have access to the source code, and engage in discussions with developers. (and yes- pay for that privilege as well)

At very least even hardware is following this road (considering having to pay for additional firmware etc). However a user can still sell hardware if one wants to. Possibly this too could eventually be prohibited by manufacturers.

It could be argued that all technology brands aspire to Apple's level. Looking at the new 20 series of GPU, Nvidia's newest GPU's are not only insane prices, but also built in a way that limits tinkering.

Getting back to the topic, the whole eGPU eco-system right now is crazy. Ironically I don't see how it solves any problem for the user. A small, under powered laptop will always be an under powered laptop, no matter how many GPU's are connected to it.

• @alcomposer

BM is very similar to Amazon and Tesla. With good finance sources standing behind they aim to first get the position similar to monopoly and after this pay to investors in full.

You'll be very surprised with BM products and prices in next 1-2 years.

BM cameras from hardware standpoint are very bad, with designs being FPGA based. Yes, their main quality is get you high bitrate modes or raw, but from usability or battery life standpoint they can't stand any competition.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It really depends on what one wants a camera to do. For greenscreen footage (for production) the higher the image quality the better. For short films with lots of different lighting and need for heavy grading more is better.

As the BMPCC4K has internal and external 12v adaptor battery life is a non-issue with a V-lock.

Cost wise, the BMPCC4K is much less expensive than the GH5s, (note to Panasonic). And also features a dual native ISO sensor. (also with the same limitation of having no IBS)

I will write my feedback when the camera arrives, (I am not holding my breath for fast arrival!)

You'll be very surprised with BM products and prices in next 1-2 years.

I'm sure all prices will skyrocket, not only BM, but Panasonic, Sony et al. will obviously seek higher margins.

Obviously for a good all-round camera the GH5 (or lots of other cameras) are vastly superior, but if one is capturing footage with intent for VFX, grading etc I don't see how it can't currently be at the top of a few lists.

BM cameras from hardware standpoint are very bad, with designs being FPGA based

As ARRI, RED, VariCam et al. all use FPGA (I am assuming due to low volume, or intent for extensive firmware updates I don't see this as being a problem).

BM is very similar to Amazon and Tesla. With good finance sources standing behind they aim to first get the position similar to monopoly and after this pay to investors in full.

This is every companies (with investors) goal.

• As ARRI, RED, VariCam et al. all use FPGA (I am assuming due to low volume, or intent for extensive firmware updates I don't see this as being a problem).

Arri and Red are not making cameras is pocket form factor if you noticed.

This is every companies (with investors) goal.

Actually no.

Such strategy become common only since late 90s, and even now used rarely.

• @peaceonearth

Considering that cost of this box to make is around $100-150, and card inside is around $400 for them to get - not bad at all.

• BlackMagic going nuts. Becoming second HP, not Apple.

• Arri and Red are not making cameras is pocket form factor if you noticed.

Well, I hardly think that the new BM4K pocket is 'pocket', more marketing name than anything else. Is larger than a GH5! :-)

https://www.43rumors.com/new-blackmagic-4k-cinema-camera-versus-panasonic-gh5s-size-comparison/

SIZE1.jpg
    700 x 298 - 121K
  • @alcomposer

But still much smaller than any other FPGA cameras.