Personal View site logo
Olympus most expensive and last m43 camera comes in January
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • @EspenB

By idea must be some of Sony sensors. May be new, may be not.

Bu as I said - main push will be on looks and marketing.

• Any word on a new sensor for this camera @Vitaliy_Kiselev ?

• Another trusted source who saw the camera told me the new E-M1X is a “Canon 1dx level” camera. It means it’s oriented for serious sports photographer and it has an integrated vertical grip!

Wow, wow, slower!

• Olympus is rumored to launch a new E-M1X High End camera in January. The camera is rumored to feature some unique new tech not available in any other camera yet.

I am not really sure in this name.

But I am sure about high end price, all else won't be high end at all.

I am also around 80% sure now that it'll be last more or less popular m43 camera from Olympus, as sales will flop division will be merged or closed. People who connected to sales or marketing of Olympus cameras are actively looking for jobs for some time already.

• @markr041

None port RAW video via HDMI. The future is here, and no HDMI RAW.

We have no raw via HDMI not because it is hard to make - it is much more easy than SDI.

But HDMI controllers design is extremely tightly watched and restricted (due to HDCP and such things). As far as I understood engineers - it is legal and restrictive agreements that stand on this way.

• The Shogun Inferno can and does record RAW. So Atomos recorders have been recording RAW a long time. Yet no camera ever has ported RAW via HDMI. The "fact" you cite is Atomos responding to questions about RAW, from people like you, given they pushed Apple RAW. They respond by saying they can do it with the V. We just had announcements of multiple new cameras with enhanced video features from Nikon, Canon, Panasonic. None port RAW video via HDMI. The future is here, and no HDMI RAW.

• Atomos has mentioned raw multiple times. Just google it, this is a very well known fact about the Ninja V (just they lack any cameras to work with it at the moment).

Yes it is not part of an official standard, yet. Likely Atomos is trying to push their unofficial way to do it for now, with the hope to make it the industry standard way to do it in the future.

• Outputting RAW video is not part of the current standards (specs) for HDMI. It is not feasible this will ever happen with any current or future camera. RAW is output, as you know, via SDI, on some cameras. The only way the Ninja V is going to get RAW input is if there is an SDI adapter made for it. The real issue is whether that is feasible and then whether that will happen. Right now its use for me is to enable 10bit 422 4K 60P from the GH5 and 4K 10bit422 from the tiny RX0. It is useless as a recorder for the FS5/FS7.

• And the current HDMI spec cannot output RAW.

Atomos Ninja V can record raw over HDMI, the problem is no camera is outputting it the moment. But when they do, Atomos is there waiting.

• I wouldn't in any way expect the next GH card to have an SSD or NVMe interface so as Mark said, there's pretty much no way we're going to see it in the next GH camera.

Since it's already possible to make micro 4/3 sensors that have 18-20 megapixels and because they've already done a bunch of the work on the ASIC for the EVA-1, I'd think it much more likely that the GH6 will come with a capability for 5.7k non-raw video.

And that's great. I still don't know why everybody is so obsessed with wasting tons of disk space shooting raw video. 10-bit video from the current GH5 looks great, as does 10-bit from the Z-Cam E2. If Panasonic want to throw a bone to people who think that a 400 megabit all-i codec is what's holding back their video productions, they could add ProRes, maybe.

• "I’ve been advocating for RAW video in Panasonic bodies since GH3 announcement. Gopro did it, black magic did it ...you realy[sic] think Panasonic can not[sic] do RAW video in GH line due to tech challenges??!?!?"

@Brig First, No GoPro can shoot RAW video - what are you talking about?

Second, it is easy to dump RAW data, since by definition there is little processing. The problem is that the massive stream of data requires a large and fast storage medium. The Sony FS5/7 FS700 dump RAW data via SDI ports; there is no internal RAW video capability. And the current HDMI spec cannot output RAW.

Third, BM did not quite do it either on their "compact" camera: while the new BMPCC 4K can actually produce RAW video, unless it is compressed with loss or processed in some way (BRAW!) there is no internal storage device capable of absorbing it. Or, at least, not one that is less than the cost of the camera.

The BMPCC 4K is an m43 camera, btw.

• I said it again and let me repeat it: there will be no GH6 on the shelves cause by the time they bring it out to market, smartphones will shoot raw and have low light zooms that will outperform everything we use today...

Do not worry, it won't happen.

Smartphones already dividing fast into categories and mass category will stagnate in photo/audio department.

• For all of you who have doubts whether Olympus will pull the plug in m43, by refering to history, here’s a bit oh historic reading from not so long ago! I even use the overprefered mass reference - Wiki page for easier diggestion among wide masses:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

We all want small and compact quality system. But not like GM, GF, GX handicaps priced like they are noble species!

m43 will go bywbye, not because it can not stand on its own against competitors but because somebody (high managment of usual suspects) decided to kill it!

I’ve been advocating for RAW video in panasonic bodies since GH3 announcment. Gopro did it, black magic did it ...you realy think panasonic can not do RAW video in GH line due to tech challenges??!?!?

I said it again and let me repeat it: there will be no GH6 on the shelves cause by the time they bring it out to market, smartphones will shoot raw and have low light zooms that will outperform everything we use today...

Sad but true, that I am contemplating of going back to eos system again :(

• @IronFilm

Maybe MFT will stand out if everyone else is focused on 135 format but only if the manufacturers make cameras and lenses that play to those strengths (compact, light weight...)

Unfortunately (for the manufacturers and small camera lovers alike) the history of the system suggests that consumers are unwilling to support high margins on small cameras. It's why Panasonic will never make another GM series camera; a lot of people say they want one but very few people wanted one at the introductory prices.

So instead we get bigger cameras and bigger "Pro" lenses that seem more like an imitation of the larger format rather than an alternative too it.

• Who will want to invest in "pro" cameras and lenses with a market saturated with full frame mirrorless systems?

If everyone else moves to FF and abandons even APS-C, then MFT will be even stronger in how it will stand unique as a small compact travel option.

If MFT has a for example a future sensor with very clean 24 to 26 Megapxiel which is good up to ISO 3200/6400 . for hat things you wil need full frame any more ? yes some special things but not that broad mass of people.

We're almost there, next generation will match or even exceed that.

• @LPowell

Neither Panasonic, Nikon, nor Canon expect their full-frame mirrorless cameras to become the dominant format in their product lines.

You mean be sold bodies number?

As they certainly plan to ditch all pro DSLRs, and least in few years time.

Their primary goal is not to make a profit, but to dilute Sony's market share.

And because of this they set the bodies and lenses prices such? After dome heavy drug usage may be.

• Neither Panasonic, Nikon, nor Canon expect their full-frame mirrorless cameras to become the dominant format in their product lines. Their primary goal is not to make a profit, but to dilute Sony's market share.

• @MarcioK

You still live in the past. Main features now are - retro looks, premium design, advanced marketing and big price.

• Only can see this working with high stills FPS count and great 4k framerates. 4/3 BSI stacked sensor on the way?

• Very expensive
    Built to outshine all current models

43rumors catching up to us

• While 2019 surely will be interesting, Photokina this year will be too. Sadly I don't have the funds for a trip to Cologne this year, but I should imagine that at least some journalist/bloggers with integrity will ask Panasonic reps about the M43 future in light of the FF announcement. Also, will there be any developmenet announcement for GH6 at the show, other bodies or a future lens roadmap present, etc. A clear statement will probably not be made regarding the M43 future, but a lot will probably be possible to sense between the lines so to speak.

• But as mentioned perhaps they merge- that does not mean quitting mft in every way - perhaps a slow move to xyz can be made

• We will see. I do Not think so at theMoment and i do not hope so.

• Samsung was a big bang when going out. But that was / is a multimedia Company with with Focus on consumers and Not pros.

Everyone focus on consumers, as so called "pros" buy around 4-7% of all camera bodies, sometimes even less.

But is this only Brainstorming and unsettling users or do you have reliable sources? Otherwise you should delete that.

Wow. Let's not give me directions that to do here :-) Sources on such matters are always fragmented, I post here how I view situation from all info I know. I can be wrong, but can be right. Most of the time I turn out to be right.

• So Nikon 1 Never soll very well and nobody really took it as a real solid Camera System. Yes Samsung was a big bang when going out. But that was / is a multimedia Company with with Focus on consumers and Not pros. All thnings you should look at. Olympus has a very Long camery History. But actually makes not so much sense for me because of releasing those great f1.2 lenses in recent months. Yes could be a slow process. But is this only Brainstorming and unsettling users or do you have reliable sources? Otherwise you should delete that.