Personal View site logo
Another Google service is done - Google+ goes into history
  • Following a massive data breach first reported on by The Wall Street Journal, Google announced today that it is shutting down its social network Google+ for consumers. The company finally admitted that Google+ never received the broad adoption or engagement with users that it had hoped for -- according to a blog post, 90 percent of Google+ user sessions last for less than five seconds. In light of these newly revealed security concerns with Google+'s API, the company has opted to put it out of its misery rather than try and make the social network more secure.

It was really shitty thing.

May be Gmail will be next???

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • They should have waited to release google+ now in 2018 to catch everyone jumping off the facebook shipwreck.

• @MirrorMan

One of the theories why Facebook is no longer so popular is that reading (and writing) skills are degrading so fast now that even Facebook becoming too complex to understand :-)

• Yes, so now they introduce a camera and screen device, so one just needs to talk and show - no writing at all. Plus Facebook gets to see what you own so they can provide you with ads that are relevant to your lifestyle, for your own benefit of course. Everyone can now be a vlogger - what'sup guys? Everyone will wear a cap indoors.

• @markr041

Exactly.

Next will be special Alexa skill to help people search in Google using keyboard. Just to feel ancient times.

• It's so funny, they could make a better Skype, better FB, whatever, but they don't.....

• @DrDave

Actually.. they can't.

Making better product means having more and better educated developers, as well and much better managers and feedback loop. And this is dangerous things.

In reality all is broken and degrading fast.

• Read this recently:

"Remember Yahoo? Twenty years ago, Yahoo.com got more traffic than any site on the internet. But it failed to evolve.

In place of evolution or innovation, Yahoo simply started buying everything with the intention of integrating it. But it was unable to integrate anything in a compelling way.

Eventually, Yahoo simply became the company that closed things. It quickly became clear that nobody should invest any time, energy or money into supporting or using Yahoo because whatever product you invested in would likely be shut down, killed off, closed for business.

Now, Google is the new Yahoo.

Google is the company that kills its own products.

Google's M.O. is to launch some new product or service with great fanfare, convince it's loyal fans to go all-in, allow those fans to devote countless hours with the product, then kill the product and leave the devoted fans with nothing.

They did it with Reader, Inbox, Answers, Lively, Glass, Orkut, Buzz, Wave, Nexus Q, Dodgeball and many others.

The closure of Google+ is the biggest slap in the face ever, by far.

Google told us Google+ was the future of Google. So we jumped in and engaged. Personally, I've spent thousands of hours lovely crafting publication-quality opinion pieces. This is what I do for a living, and I gave my time and labor over to Google+ for free.

Now, Google is going to flush all my work down the toilet.

Yours, too.

Google has been working hard for years to push away its most loyal fans. Now, Google is going even further.

In fact, the killing of Google+ is a perfect storm of Google's vision vacuum. It's driven by their antipathy toward passionate users, and also their failure to understand the human element generally.

Google has failed utterly with every social network they've ever launched, and the reason is that, culturally, Google simply can't understand human beings.

I recently got rid of my MacBook Pro and bought a high-end Pixelbook. And I was leaning toward buying a Pixel 3. But now I'm off the fence. I'll be buying iPhones from now on.

And I can't even imagine what will happen when Google decides to kill Google Photos.

Google simply can't be trusted.

Google is the new Yahoo, the company that kills its own products.

Which Google product is next?"

~ @Les Richards

• Google told us Google+ was the future of Google. So we jumped in and engaged. Personally, I've spent thousands of hours lovely crafting publication-quality opinion pieces. This is what I do for a living, and I gave my time and labor over to Google+ for free.

If author does not understand that by publishing in such network all is actually is owned by it and at any time for any reason they can get rid of this - it is pity for him.

I recently got rid of my MacBook Pro and bought a high-end Pixelbook. And I was leaning toward buying a Pixel 3. But now I'm off the fence. I'll be buying iPhones from now on.

Wow, smart :-)

• Will youtube be next? I think that they'll eventually purge much of the hosted content and go to a premium-only platform, or just sell it off to Viacom to do the same thing

• @robertGL

Well, no.

Youtube is transforming fast. I think soon they add adblock detection, and demand unskippable video ads for each few minutes.

Plus the bigger they become - the more they promote only big channels and various trash for degenerates. Small channels pose income risk - much simpler do produce degenerates by pushing content for degenerates.

• Youtube is transforming fast.

they promote only big channels

And what point is this fast transformation no different to @robertGL's "purge"?

• @IronFilm

It is not purge, it is just playing safe.

As soon as they start promoting diverse content from smaller channels their ads income will start to fluctuate a lot. And lot of such channels are not politically correct and dependent on google.

So, now with large channels it is like

sa5190.jpg
    800 x 503 - 42K