Personal View site logo
40mm F2.0 CF FE Zeiss Batis Lens

• Distagon optical design
    • Min focus distance - 0.24 m
    • Will have focus limiter (Full / ∞ ~ 0.4m / and 0.5m to 0.24m)
    • Will use 67mm filters
    • Similar in size to 85mm Batis lens
    • $1299 at

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • Lens will be announced in July-August and ship in October.

• Images

sa3769.jpg
    350 x 532 - 18K
    sa3770.jpg
    614 x 496 - 43K
    sa3771.jpg
    486 x 427 - 29K
  • More leaks about this delayed lens

• Will use Distagon optical design
    • Min focus distance is 0.24 m
    • Has focus limiter (Full / ∞ ~ 0.4 m / 0.5 m to 0.24 m)
    • 67mm filters
    • 91mm x 93 mm
    • $1299 / 1299 EUR
    • Will be available in October
  • PR

The most versatile lens in the ZEISS Batis family

With a 40 millimeter fixed focal length, the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF (Close Focus) is the latest addition to the product family. This standard lens in the ZEISS Batis family features a quick autofocus and an extremely short minimum focus distance. Delivery will start in November 2018. “The focal length on the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF makes it suitable for a wide range of applications, something customers have been eagerly awaiting. The lens bridges the current gap between the ZEISS Batis 2/25 and the ZEISS Batis 1.8/85,” says Dr. Michael Pollmann, Category Manager for Imaging at ZEISS.

The ZEISS Batis family was developed specifically for mirrorless full-frame cameras from Sony (Alpha 7 and Alpha 9 series). The lenses are compatible with all E-mount cameras and cover a total of five focal lengths ranging from 18 to 135 millimeters. Together with these cameras, the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF ensures a lightweight, easy-to-use, high-performance system that delivers outstanding image quality, a minimum shooting distance of 24 centimeters for close-up shots and a magnification ratio of 1.3.3. “With the launch of the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF, we now offer a focal length that falls between the standard 35 and 50 millimeter lenses people love to use. We have made the entire ZEISS Batis lens family even more attractive by offering the complete range of focal lengths,” says Pollmann.

The ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF is able to tackle various photography challenges thanks to its special 40-millimeter focal length. From portrait and street photography to landscape and architecture – anything is possible with this high-resolution fixed focal length. “The lens is excellent for applications requiring normal focal lengths as well as common photographic situations where a bit more of a wide angle is needed. Our customers will enjoy a truly versatile lens which, thanks to its proven ZEISS look, and an outstanding image quality, is also ideal for close-ups. If you’re traveling light and decide to opt for just one lens, then this would be it,” says Pollmann.

Thanks to its high micro contrast and initial aperture of f/2, the lens can perfectly capture individual objects. Features like floating lens design for consistently high image quality across the entire focus range, the ZEISS T* coating for fewer reflections and weather and dust sealed housing and splash protection ensure maximum image quality in almost any situation. For creative work, the innovative OLED display on the ZEISS Batis shows the distance and depth of field, ensuring a perfectly adjusted focus range.

The price of the new ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF is 1.299 € (incl. German VAT) or 1.299 US$ (excl. local taxes).

sa4995.jpg
    740 x 562 - 53K
    sa4994.jpg
    691 x 576 - 62K
    sa4996.jpg
    742 x 586 - 50K
  • sa6453.jpg
    857 x 622 - 68K
    sa6454.jpg
    800 x 529 - 69K
  • The ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF is our allrounder, it's the perfect tool for ambitious photographers in a variety of situations. The versatility of the lens is also due to its close focus (CF): the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF allows photographers to get incredibly close to the object they want to capture -- the CF, i.e. the minimum distance between the object and camera sensor, measures just 24 centimeters.

To ensure exceptional image quality at close range, the lens automatically stops down when it's a short distance from the object. This ensures the ZEISS lens delivers the high contrast and resolution across the entire focus range that users have come to expect. In the image, automatic closing of the aperture may become visible in highlights within a blurred background (bokeh). At times, these will not appear perfectly round when focusing at close range. SonyAlphaRumors

We are currently developing a software update that will allow us to work within a larger focus range with a wide-open aperture. The update will be available to download for free from the ZEISS website in early 2019. We will notify all registered customers via email.

What are the benefits of the software update?

Once you've installed the update, the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF will only automatically stop down at preset aperture values between f/2 and f/2.5 at close range; in extreme cases (close focusing distance) to max. f/2.8. With a preset aperture value of f/2.8 and up, the aperture will remain unchanged across the entire focus range.

Will I be able to achieve circular highlights in my photos after the software update?

Automatic stopping down is required at short focus distances and with a wide-open aperture in order to meet the high ZEISS image quality standards while ensuring a compact and lightweight lens. The software update will mean highlights appear in an extended focus range round-shaped, fully up to close focusing distance is not possible.

Does the lens only automatically stop down at full aperture, or at other aperture values too?

How many f-stop intervals does this concern? Once you've installed the update, the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF will only automatically stop down at preset aperture values between f/2 and f/2.5 at close range; in extreme cases (close focusing distance) to max. f/2.8. With a preset aperture value of f/2.8 and up, the aperture will remain unchanged across the entire focus range. At what object distance will the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF automatically stop down? We are still developing the configuration of the software update. For this reason, we cannot provide any further details at the present time.

What does automatic stopping down mean for the exposure measurement and the EXIF data of my camera? Will I get incorrect results?

The camera performs exposure measurements correctly because the exposure time is calculated in line with the actual aperture. The exposure time is then saved to the photo's EXIF data. The camera saves the aperture value as per the manual setting to the EXIF data, e.g. with a setting of f/2 on the camera, the EXIF data will also show an aperture value of f/2 regardless of the focus distance.

When taking photographs at close range, will I be able to identify how open the aperture actually is?

We are still developing the configuration of the software update. For this reason, we cannot give you any further details at the present time.

I manually set the exposure (aperture, shutter speed, ISO). How can I achieve correct exposure in my photos at close range with the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF?

If you manually adjust the exposure settings, please take test shots to check whether the exposure is right for you. In some cases, when focusing at close range it may be necessary to set the exposure time up to one exposure step (+ 1EV) higher than usual.

I use the ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF for filming. Will the aperture also close automatically in movie mode?

The ZEISS Batis 2/40 CF behaves in the same way in movie and photo mode."