Personal View site logo
Facebook will be delivering only proper content
  • We know that people want to see accurate information on Facebook, so for the last two years, we’ve made fighting misinformation a priority. One of the many steps we take to reduce the spread of false news is working with independent, third-party fact-checkers to review and rate the accuracy of content. To date, most of our fact-checking partners have focused on reviewing articles. However, we have also been actively working to build new technology and partnerships so that we can tackle other forms of misinformation. Today, we’re expanding fact-checking for photos and videos to all of our 27 partners in 17 countries around the world (and are regularly on-boarding new fact-checking partners). This will help us identify and take action against more types of misinformation, faster.

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/09/expanding-fact-checking/

Nice thing. Be ready for extensive AI to be watching all your posts and photos.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Oh shit, thousands of assholes working for government will lose their jobs. A friend of mine just got 3 years in prison for insulting the president on his Facebook account.

In Turkey 376 social media accounts have been investigated and legal action has been taken against 261 social media users between September 10 and 17. Following charges have been pressed against the social media users: "Propagandizing for a terrorist organization, promoting these organizations, declaring affiliation with terrorist organizations, inciting people to enmity and hatred, insulting state officials, attempting against state's indivisible integrity, committing hate speech..."

• And so it begins.

• @hini This is government abuse you are reporting. It is terrible, but not relevant to Facebook policy. Facebook censoring is not about imprisoning anyone, unless the information is handed over to the government - that would be an issue. People are banned from this very site - that is censoring. Policing a site by the owner of a site is standard and has benefits. It is creepy to be checked. But if someone does not like Facebook monitoring everything that he or she posts, then he or she can stop posting there (I wish we had a gender-neutral pronoun already - 'he or she' sucks).

• I wonder if this applies to deactivated accounts

• Just in time for midterms, Facebook has removed 559 pages and 251 accounts they claim have been spreading misinformation and spam. Several of the pages however - some with millions of followers, were pro-Trump conservatives who had spent years cultivating their followings.

Facebook claims that "domestic actors" have been creating "fake pages and accounts to attract people with shocking political news," reports Bloomberg.

And here we go.

• @mark041 We have had a gender neutral pronoun for centuries. "One".

• My real facebook has been suspended for almost a year. I have another one that I use for marketplace which is a pretty good service