Personal View site logo
Another patented and closed RAW format - BlackMagic RAW
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • @Psyco I have an URSA Mini so I was excited by this release. But I've found that it only works for the URSA Mini Pro. There are many BM forum posts complaining about this.

The sensor in the UMP and UM are the same, I believe the processors are similar so the BRAW debayer function should translate. Maybe BM will leave it for a while to see how many people will upgrade from the UM to the UMP.

I'm not going to knock BM. I could afford to upgrade BM cameras several times compare to an Arri or even a Red.

• Out interview

Sorry for some audio quality drop towards the end and screen part quality, but it was too noisy and too far mike.

• If someone can do a test with URSA Mini please:

Shot a scene quite underexposed pre update and then again with the "improved" codec. Make sure to push the sensor into beeing noisy as hell, make the picture a colour-pixel-snowstorm, but good enough to still see the scene that was filmed.

If there is little, some, a lot or heavy noise reduction in the new processing, will be quite visible by comparing real raw to BRAW. And it will also test, if 12:1 is still possible with such a compression nightmare;-)

• @majoraxis

12:1 compression do not require any noise reduction or such. It is same algorithms as ones used in JPEG2000 or HEVC.

But BM marketing requires this. As next year will be battle of DR numbers and HDR and first year of raw on general cameras. In other words - next year will be most tough year in BM cameras history.

• Noise reduction typically makes a video file require less bandwidth when being compressed, all other things being equal. It would make sense to clean the data before compressing it. From what is being reported, 12:1 looks great so maybe NR is the key to 12:1 receiving high praise.

It's official: We have now entered the era of Blackmagic.

• After playing with the sample raw clips from BMD, I'm impressed so far. Good highlight rolloff, clean images and no over-sharpening or detail enhancement noticeable. Clips show metadata info as 12:1 compression but I'm not certain about how the compression works on BMD RAW.

• algorithm from partial de-mosaic filtering

Such thing should not be in raw. So it is marketing term for heavy noise reduction.

I believe that BM is preparing for massive standardization of raw in mainstream FF camera bodies in 2019. As they will need to compete here.

• From this BRAW test:

Kholi (Camp Comet) claims:

" - New update in camera has cleaned up my image in a massive way, FPN nearly vanished with a firmware update.

• New Noise Profile is very pleasing, never used NR before anyway, but profile is extremely awesome."

Sounds like your right as there is an apparent improvement in noise, so the algorithm from partial de-mosaic filtering in camera is either having the effect of acting as or applying what appears to be a "non-offensive" form of NR.

• From the Red Skark News video Black Magic are claiming to get a stop to a stop and a half more out of the shadows of the USRA Mini Pro due to the sensor optimized partial de-mosaic filter in camera processing.

Sounds fishy.

Only way to get such thing is some kind of internal noise reduction that will be part of new raw format.

• From the Red Skark News video Black Magic are claiming to get a stop to a stop and a half more out of the shadows of the USRA Mini Pro due to the sensor optimized partial de-mosaic filter in camera processing. So we might be seeing 14 stops of DR out the Pocket 4k if and when BRAW is implemented. This USRA Mini Pro claim should be easy to test now. Just shoot the same scene before the software upgrade with RAW and after the software upgrade with BRAW on the USRA Mini Pro...

• @caveport

Well, such thing has lot of positive sides.

But we yet to know all the negatives. It is certainly based on patents. All algorithms are closed and distributed as compiled SDK.

We yet to know agreement terms with Red who owns patent on compressed raw video (general one).
    It was due to them we had DNG raw stored in separate files to get around patent.
    Apple ProRes RAW became possible due to private agreement with Red - one of the terms had been sales of cameras on Apple site.
    Here we also have some private agreement no one talks about. And I am afraid we will soon can find consequences like some limits on how BM cameras can be designed or cartel price agreement.

• BMD have really done well to implement this new raw codec. Hopefully some other cameras will use this codec, but it will be a while before anything gets to market. I don't give a hoot if it is not 'completely free', as long as it works reliably and efficiently. Oh, hang on.... it IS free!!! Here ya go Vitaliy, time to bring your negativity to the discussion.... heh heh.

“Blackmagic RAW is the world’s only truly modern, high performance, professional RAW codec that is open, cross platform and free,” said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO. “It’s exciting because customers can get the visually lossless image quality of RAW with the speed of traditional video workflows. Best of all, there are no hidden licenses or ongoing fees. Blackmagic RAW has been designed to provide the industry with an open, elegant and standardized high quality image format that can be used across products and in customer workflows absolutely free!”

• @NickBen

it is all nice and sound, but need to read all terms.

Free SDK really does not mean that it is fully free or algorithms are open.

I believe BM shows that company can do if engineer leads it and banks back with good funds :-)

• Download BM Raw clips and RAW Player here ( registration needed for player)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursaminipro/blackmagicraw

DaVinci Resolve 15 free download

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

use jDownloader to download above Reza and Thom Vimeo clip

• 12:1 RAW sample:

I don't see a way to download it unfortunately to mess with it.

• & John Brawley had to keep the RAW tidbit a secret, which I assume he's a beta tester for...

I think we can definitely say John Brawley is not a leaker!!!

I hope BM RAW is free, cause that means I'm more likely to buy more cameras and more companies are likely to support it.

This is an excellent opportunity to save on disk space, recording media, etc and update color science / colorspaces with the changing times.

BMD is on a good track here, look forward to their next Camera release cycle and I hope they get into 360 / 3D action cams very soon...

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev sad news :-/

• @flash

Very good news for BM users. I would like same thing for my GH5s.

I believe we will see paid raw option, but most probably only for new cameras.

• Yes this is excellent news.

• Very good news for BM users. I would like same thing for my GH5s.