Personal View site logo
Adobe to stop support all OSes except latest Windows 10 build and latest Mac OS X
  • As we prepare for our next major release of Creative Cloud, we wanted to share some information on updated operating system requirements. To take advantage of the latest operating system features and technologies, the next major release of Creative Cloud will not support Windows 8.1, Windows 10 v1511 and v1607, and Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan). For more detailed information about operating system requirements for the next major release of Adobe video and audio tools, see this post.

If you’re running Windows 8.1, Windows 10 v1511 and v1607 or Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan), you can continue to run and install current and previous versions of Creative Cloud applications. However, you will not be able to install or run the next major release of Creative Cloud unless you’re on a supported version of Windows or MacOS.

Creative Cloud Desktop, which manages application installs, will continue to be supported on Windows 7 or later and Mac OS X v10.9 or later.

Focusing our efforts on more modern versions of Windows and Mac operating systems allows us to concentrate on developing the features and functionality most requested by members, while ensuring peak performance that takes advantage of modern hardware. Visit this site for detailed information on current Creative Cloud app system requirements.

Want to see capitalism in all it's glory - here it is!

Cutting support for older OS versions allow to cut expenses, yet damage it makes for users far outpace everything saved for new top managers yachts.

In industry it is rumors that last year Adobe top management bonuses and payments set all records and guys just have no idea where to spend such money.

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • It's still better than what Apple does with FCPX requiring the latest OS to run the newest version of FCPX and eventually that means you'll need to buy another overpriced Mac.

Adobe is supporting 3 Mac OS's that's a 3 year window and there is a hack from DOSDUDE that allows the never OS's to be installed on machines Apple didn't want to include, but the hardware still is compatible. Ex: I am running 10.12 on a 2009 MacBookPro 5,2. Except for some bluetooth tethering (and the old CPU) the OS works flawlessly on it via the hack. That's pretty good for a 9 year old machine.

• Well, it looks like anyone can still upgrade their old Windows version to the latest Windows 10 version for free:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Windows10 latest version is altogether superior to earlier versions - smaller footprint and faster and more secure. For example (and this is not the basis for my statement, only some evidence that it is true), I upgraded an old Toshiba Windows tablet with 32GB of memory from 8.1 to Windows 10 and it freed up space and ran faster with better battery life. There is no reason to run an older version except to run old software that won't run on new Windows version.

People running old versions of Windows are damaging themselves (except if they have to because they need old, discontinued software).

Free upgrades, I guess that is capitalism too.

• @markr041

People running old versions of Windows are damaging themselves (except if they have to because they need old, discontinued software).

Wow. Damaging themselves. Bad citizens who do not want to follow to heaven. :-)

Actually it can be huge number of reasons not to upgrade.

Free upgrades, I guess that is capitalism too.

(c) There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Windows 10 has unprecedented tracking abilities and forced updates. So, if you do not see that is for sale here - it is you.

• Users of older Windows operating system versions are more vulnerable to hacks, their systems run slower and they use up more disk space and energy - that is the damage (in case you did not understand). No capabilities are lost at all by upgrading. Do you refute that?

Forced updates - wow! How horrible. Why do they force updates? - among other reasons, to ensure that software won't be attacked by hackers (and we know where the best and most active of those are located). And to eliminate bugs. How terrible (it is annoying sometimes). Are you recommending that people keep using old software to avoid updates? what are you actually saying?

Do you prefer the business model of your apparent friends at Magix, who require paid upgrades of their software to fix known bugs afflicting their current version that they have the gall to list? You like that instead?

• Users of older Windows operating system versions are more vulnerable to hacks, their systems run slower and they use up more disk space and energy - that is the damage (in case you did not understand). No capabilities are lost at all by upgrading. Do you refute that?

Did you get some help book from Microsoft marketing?

No, older OS are not slower in any real jobs. Energy statement is actually bullshit, as many notebooks never reach efficiency of original OS, because no one cares to update drivers fully and properly, especially for specific rare stuff. And yes, lot of capabilities can be lost - from lot of software that have issues with latest Windows 10 to lot of hardware that does not work or work bad with Windows 10.

Are you recommending that people keep using old software to avoid updates? what are you actually saying?

Any sane admin recommend to keep using that you are using if it works. And update only if necessary and after testing on second system.

Do you prefer the business model of your apparent friends at Magix, who require paid upgrades of their software to fix known bugs afflicting their current version that they have the gall to list? You like that instead?

You missed here. As Magix has all (including major) updates free for a year, and license in indefinite. As for bugs list - unfortunately to you they can't compete with horrible Adobe performance here.

I like working things, and if you like updates to pay to Microsoft devs who need your money to allow their new fancy home (do not worry, I know some personally) and just throw money around. Actually inside Microsoft they perfectly know and talk about pointless work they do last years.

I lately had small talk about life of Adobe management in last two years, and especially this year. Quite fun to give money to people who call users "dumb morons" and just can't get idea where to spend their money.

• 'It's still better than what Apple does with FCPX requiring the latest OS to run the newest version of FCPX and eventually that means you'll need to buy another overpriced Mac.' Gotta disagree there @CFreak - I've got a 2008 Mac and its only the latest OS update thats prevented me upgrading FCPX on that one - 10 years of operation ain't bad in terms of software, I MUCH prefer Apple's model of buying the software outright and updating when needed as opposed to Adobe's overly expensive subscription model, running Premiere Pro for 10 years on subscription woulda cost me a hell of a lot more than FCPX

• You have supplied zero evidence of any problems from updates to Windows 10 other than what I noted - compatibility of old software that is not updated (and very old hardware). Are you saying no operating systems should be improved unless computers built in the 1980's still work with it and maybe all DOS programs? Sounds like a Luddite view, or you have an agenda. By suggesting that people avoid updates to Windows you are making their computers and their users more vulnerable to hackers. Is that a coincidence?

Oligarchs in Communist countries and the many hackers there laugh too at the people they really exploit while they consume caviar at their summer dachas. So what?

Magix Vegas Pro still crashes a lot, and has major known bugs that are not fixed, even with the paid upgrade. Their expensive paid upgrades offered minimal advances (customize the look - wow!). That is why many are moving to DaVinci Resolve. I am almost completely moved.

I do not like subscription services either. My points are not to defend Adobe's cloud-based model, only the curious arguments against updating software.

• @markr041

You have supplied zero evidence of any problems from updates to Windows 10 other than what I noted - compatibility of old software that is not updated (and very old hardware).

You try to twist facts. I property outlined issues and it is quite stupid to ask me for "evidence" as it is so obvious.

Oligarchs in Communist countries and the many hackers there laugh too at the people they really exploit while they consume caviar at their summer dachas. So what?

Well, you are economics professor, after all, try to read books, and you stop having "Oligarchs in Communist countries". They exist only in dreams. No need to teach you basics, sad that this required.

Magix Vegas Pro still crashes a lot, and has major known bugs that are not fixed, even with the paid upgrade. Their expensive paid upgrades offered minimal advances (customize the look - wow!). That is why many are moving to DaVinci Resolve. I am almost completely moved.

Magix has very little to do with Vegas, almost all core team is still same old :-) And it is big wish to remain such that cause so lot of bugs and slow improvements speed.
    For some people it is very stable, for others it crashes, sometimes crashes with specific driver or OS. I suggest you to go to Adobe communities and threads discussing bugs and crashes.

That is why many are moving to DaVinci Resolve. I am almost completely moved.

Well, Resolve is moving very fast. If you like it, mperfect. Yet they also have similar approach to Adobe. And they start making really bloated piece of software.

My points are not to defend Adobe's cloud-based model, only the curious arguments against updating software.

Mark, we have different experience in this field. Try to go and talk to any admin who manage big amount of systems and have good connection to his user base. Can also try to talk to some long time software users and ask their opinion about update just for the sake of update.

As one of Microsoft devs told me - if they won't make updates so forced in Windows 10 they could be in big trouble. As people do not see any benefits from last "improvements". So, this guys make work for themselves. This is exactly capitalism in all it's beauty.

• I use a mixture of Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. Version 10 is by far the worst OS of the 3 - even with most of the telemetry turned off it still spying on everything you do and refuses to work with older software. And this update rubbish really annoys me. Like Vitaly, I'm happy with a properly working system - I still use software from the late 1990s as it works fine for me. Incidently at the BBC we are still using Windows 7 and Office 2010 on most desktop machines.

• It's funny that pirated software is now the surviving archive, and only way for some software to continue existing on Earth. Computer vendors (and excessive IP laws) have done a horrible job at preserving the 'heritage' of computing.

Meanwhile, Apple and Microsoft aside for now, the FANG companies receive all Wall Street attention, presumably for the purpose of devouring the rest of the computing industry, and all other elements of our economy for that matter.

• Reminds me of this logic

• @robertGL

It's funny that pirated software is now the surviving archive, and only way for some software to continue existing on Earth. Computer vendors (and excessive IP laws) have done a horrible job at preserving the 'heritage' of computing.

Because so called "computer vendors" are organizations of the decaying old society order, and so called "pirated software" is part of progressive new. Capitalist ideally does not care for you after you paid him, and only reason why he cares is because you or someone else won't pay for new version or update in the future.

Meanwhile, Apple and Microsoft aside for now, the FANG companies receive all Wall Street attention, presumably for the purpose of devouring the rest of the computing industry, and all other elements of our economy for that matter.

Well, all you see is rules on how capitalist society works. Monopolies rise to power, marge with banks and government and become extremely regressive machines doing very little for real needs of people.