Personal View site logo
Nvidia RTX 20xx Turing GPUs - little performance for much more money
  • 98 Replies sorted by
  • Based on the actual benefits for video editing, I think we are in good shape for another year with existing 10XX series, sadly skipping this release and waiting 8 months...

I'd expect to see next April 2019 NAB a new RTX 2180 Ti or Titan: 16GB VRAM, PCIe 4.0, HDMI 2.1 with full 8K support possibly up to 120fps in Adobe Premiere Pro

Easy money for Nvidia for now however, just not mine just yet...

• How cards look

sa4277.jpg
    718 x 589 - 59K
    sa4278.jpg
    706 x 589 - 54K
    sa4279.jpg
    700 x 515 - 65K
    sa4280.jpg
    705 x 505 - 62K
  • Price and specs of TI card

sa4282.jpg
    694 x 293 - 27K
    sa4283.jpg
    525 x 525 - 56K
  • More of same - RTX 2080 price will be $799

sa4286.jpg
    754 x 646 - 79K
    sa4287.jpg
    745 x 641 - 78K
  • Another big news is that due to this being old product artificially delayed it lacks HDMI 2.1 support - this is a big thing.

• Asus cards

sa4292.jpg
    701 x 525 - 54K
    sa4293.jpg
    696 x 501 - 47K

sa4305.jpg
    717 x 274 - 43K
  • New trends

• $79 for NVLink bridge to connect cards
    • SLI won't be possible for any cards below 1080
    • Nvidia kept silent about real gaming performance, as it can hurt preorders
  • More photos

sa4313.jpg
    800 x 415 - 57K
    sa4314.jpg
    617 x 367 - 67K
  • Insider talks

Talk is that Nvidia actually just had ready design with Tesla cores that had almost no purpose in consumer market. They are not much AI accelerator also besides very special cases, despite marketing.
    So, Nvidia looked for some way to market product that otherwise had been not too good in pure performance gains. And they finally invented fake ray tracing, by making special shadows and reflections processing on only few select titles and requiring presence of Nvidia tech assistant and vague documentation.
    Main goal now is to select few proper reviewers and push information step by step. If it won't be made properly and very controlled it can be marketing wreck.

• Nvidia marketing had been forced to make nice little chart

Only look at darker green part, as brighter green is pure imagination (for now and I believe always!)

sa4350.jpg
    800 x 483 - 39K
  • 50% faster than previous generation. That's excellent. And as bonus you get awesome ray-tracing speeds. Definitely buying this one.

• A couple of days ago Nvidia ruined the term "ray tracing" - what you see (at least what I see) in there tech demos is NO ray tracing!

Those dull textures, blury reflection-"things",... BS! Real ray tracing looks quite different, as you can see in a million you tube videos...about ray traced scenes (I really don't get it, why is nobody pointing out that there tech demo looks shit?).

• @Psyco

People who pointed it out are not among top. :-)

• More normal look at fps

• 3DCenter states that all lower end 2xxx cards will be renamed 1xxx cards

And overall this generation will be intermediary.

sa4425.jpg
    762 x 728 - 99K
  • Situation with new cards is so bad that Nvidia now approves any reviewer who gets sample, so we are almost in the same situation we have in camera industry, where firms form special pool of approved followers-reviewers who post nice things and travel at the expense of the company.

And add to this 5 year long NDA you need to sign to just get drivers.

This is that it called rotten Capitalism :-)

• Seams like the RTX 2080 MAX-Q graphic card is ready and we'll be seeing laptops with the new card this year.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-turing-mobility-rtx-2080-mobile-gpu/

• Architecture in depth

For video applications advantages seems to be minimal, except better encoders and HDR.

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/

sa4666.jpg
    800 x 814 - 113K
  • Funny numbers: Those INT32 numbers are total BS! (*)

Looks like they just feed 32bit integers into the 32bit floatingpoint unit, which is no problem (FP is more complicated), just to get a new entry into this "feature list" and "show" that the new cards a sooo much better. I bet the old ones can do that as well.

(* If the new cards can do INT32 and FP32 in parallel, each running at 13-16 TFLOPS at the same time, than I'm sorry and my post is BS... but I highly doubt it.)