Personal View site logo
Nvidia RTX 20xx Turing GPUs - little performance for much more money
  • Rumors for now

• Initial announcement will happen at GPU Technology Conference at 26 to 29 March.
    • GPU will be based on simplified Volta architecture
    • Will have around 30% performance boost, mostly due to memory and more cores
    • It'll be variants with GDDR6 and GDDR5 RAM, staring with 4GB (due to RAM shortages)
    • Recommended price will be around 10% more than Pascal upon introduction
    • Actual price will be around 35-40% more for at least half a year
  • 98 Replies sorted by
  • Announcement is expected to be late.

For now plans of production start are mid summer with proper announcement can be August or September.

But on spring we can see some brief info or teasers.

• More leaked information

• Nvidia do not have even test chips still
    • Performance boost can be much smaller, even 10% only
    • First will come 2 top cards, medium and budget solutions can delay up to 1 year
    • Nvidia wants to degrade GPU performance for mining and video as much as possible, focus on games only
    • Quadro cards for same generation will have special on chip switch with much better GPU calculation speeds
    • GDDR6 will be used in top cards
    • Price increase is expected to be 25-30%
    • Due to small performance gain, Nvidia will quickly phase out present cards to force you to buy new
    • Nvidia also can present special mining cards with 40-50% premium price to normal ones
  • Can you say something about the hardware on a gfx card that makes it optimized for mining vs that for video rendering vs gaming? What are the overlaps, i.e. is what makes a card strong for mining the same as for rendering but a gaming card can be optimized separately in 'x' way?

I use AMD cards for Final Cut and I will be milking my 2x 7970's as long as the prices for 580's and Vega's remain so high.

• @WalterH

RX580 prices already dropped significantly.

As for performance - it is various GPU shader units stuff.
    Nvidia already do various stuff, like specially disabling parts of video encoders and allow only 2 streams for all consumer cards. And all such.

sa2668.jpg
    571 x 699 - 52K
  • "As for performance - it is various GPU shader units stuff. Nvidia already do various stuff, like specially disabling parts of video encoders and allow only 2 streams for all consumer cards. And all such."

Can you please explain this a little more @Vitaliy_Kiselev in particular regarding video editing, thanks

• @leonbeas

All NVidia consumer GPUs have 2 streams restriction for NVENC (hardware encoders). It is special artificial thing, allowing to make Nvidia big number of millions our of thin air, as companies buy expensive cards instead.

Same is true for >8bit color. Some bios changes and also some laser magic on die setting proper switches for pro cards.

• WOW thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev didn't know that, so having dual GPU not in sli just dual configuration would allow for 4 hardware encoders, for example for simultaneous live streaming?

• @leonbeas

About dual GPUs I have no idea. May be yes, may be no, need to ask experts.

Can be cheaper to get some simple pro GPU that have proper encoders.

• Great we are talking about Quadros right? Or maybe some blackmagic capture and monitor cards?

• According to the latest leaks, rumors and information provided to wccftech the GeForce GTX 1180 is powered by a 104 class GPU, codenamed GT104. The GPU measures around ~400mm², features 3584 CUDA cores, a 256-bit GDDR6 memory interface and 8 to 16 gigabytes of 16Gbps GDDR6 memory. The graphics card is expected to have a core clock of around ~1.6GHz and a boost clock of around ~1.8GHz. The TDP of this graphics card is unconfirmed to date, but is expected to be somewhere between 170-200W.

In terms of pricing, whispers say that NVIDIA is looking to charge more for the GTX 1180 as compared to the GTX 1080, with some sources quoted as saying to expect a price tag of around $699.

Specs

sa2817.jpg
    669 x 705 - 61K
  • Specs of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1180 from other sources

• GV104 or GT104 GPU made using 12nm
    • Runs at 1405 MHz / 1582 MHz boost clock
    • GDDR6 12000Mhz Memory, 256 bit bus, 384.0 GB/s
    • 3584 CUDA Cores
    • 224 TMUs
    • 64 ROPs
    • Pixel rate - 101.2 GPixel/s
    • FP32 performance - 11,340 GFLOPS
    • 200 W TDP

It is expected that price will rise, most probably initial offers will be at around $800-899.

• Some performance leaks

sa3184.jpg
    466 x 285 - 24K
  • GTX 1170 info, and expected price hike also

sa3213.jpg
    454 x 586 - 65K
  • I could really use some of those rumored 16GB cards... Windows 10's horrible VRAM issue (holding 20% hostage for some insane reason) is concerning for those into rendering CGI/VFX with Octane or other GPU engines. I'm only getting 8.5GB available with a 1080Ti card... so stupid. Microsoft won't even acknowledge this problem even exists, of course.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Oh nice, yea I'll read through it.

Yea, I'm Thinking of downgrading... but the stability (in general) of the apps I use, especially C4D and it's plug-ins, seems to be better in Windows 10 (others report this as well)... so it's a tough call. Stability or VRAM. The 16GB cards... even with only 13-14GB available would be enough for the foreseable future though...

• In the mean time... if your own computer isn't enough... have some fun building and fixing ones that don't even exist. lol

• The 120W NVIDIA next-gen Turing GPU will be priced around $499 MSRP. Will have 8Gb RAM.
    • The 150W NVIDIA next-gen Turing GPU will be priced around $599 MSRP. Will have 8Gb RAM.
    • The 180W NVIDIA next-gen Turing GPU will be priced around $699-749 MSRP. Will have 11Gb RAM.

Prices looks too high to be real.

And

• The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti MSRP will drop in price by $100.
    • The GeForce GTX 1080 MSRP will drop in price by $50.

Release times:

• The NVIDIA next-gen 120W GPU will be arriving at the end of September.
    • The NVIDIA next-gen 150W GPU will be arriving by the second week of September.
    • The NVIDIA next-gen 180W GPU will be arriving in the first week of September.

https://wccftech.com/nvidias-next-generation-graphics-cards-specifications-pricing-and-nomenclature-details/

• Public release of first models is expected at August 20th.

• Pro stuff

As usual, with extreme margins.

sa4257.jpg
    631 x 149 - 33K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev It's American capitalism. Worth mentioning, every time.