Personal View site logo
Sony A7 III 4K Camera with S-LOG and HLG
  • 185 Replies sorted by
  • Smallrig cage

• Comparison with Canon 5D

• Firmware v2.0

• Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only "SEL400F28GM").
    • Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu. Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
    • Addition of Aperture Drive in AF setting in the menu. Using the lens "SEL400F28GM" or "SEL24F14GM", when Silent priority is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera. noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when Silent priority is selected.
    • AF Track Sens can be assigned to a custom key.
    • When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor, all focus areas are supported. Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF. Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when File Format is set to RAW or RAW & JPEG and RAW File Type is set to Uncompressed.
    • Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
    • Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures. Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
    • When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
    • Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group. Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3/downloads/00015510

• Firmware above made to restrict use of third party batteries

1. Some batteries are still can be used but the camera won’t show you how much battery life is left and there will be a pop up reminder from time to time
    2. Some become completely useless. The camera tells you this battery is not qualified and automatically shut down
  • Here's a video I shot this afternoon with the Sony 85mm f/1.8. I used the X-Rite Color Checker for custom WB like always. Not sure why so many say Sony skin tones are so terrible.

• @jonpais

They can be sometimes little special. And usually during more complex lighting conditions.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I’ve shot under mixed lighting including fluorescent with similar results.

• New v2.00 firmware

• Adds support for the SEL400F28GM and SEL24F14GM lenses
      • Optimizes the optical image stabilization performance.
      • For the SEL400F28GM lens only, adds support for new image stabilization mode (Mode 3) of the lens Adds the Function Ring(Lens) feature to the to the Camera Settings2 menu.
        Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens only, the Function Ring(Lens) feature has a power focus function, which allows you to assign one of the following to the Function Ring(Lens): Power-assisted Focusing (Power Focus), or switching the angle of view between Full Frame and APS-C/Super 35 mm.
      • Adds the Aperture Drive in AF setting to the Camera Settings menu.
        Note: When using either the SEL400F28GM or SEL24F14GM lens, when Silent Priority is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera noise should be kept to a minimum, though the Auto Focus may become slower when Silent Priority is selected.
    • Adds AF Track Sens as a selectable option for custom key settings.
    • Adds support for Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF focus areas when using the LA-EA3 mount adaptor.
      Note: Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
    • Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
    • Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
    • Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
      Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
    • Improves dimming stability under flicker light conditions.
    • Improves managing continuously shot images as a group

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3/downloads/00015514

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3/downloads/00015515

• I’ve said before that one of the chief reasons I deliberated so long and hard before purchasing the Sony a7 III was the prevailing idea that Sony’s skin tones were dreadful; and little I’d seen on the Web persuaded me otherwise. Below are screen grabs from six popular Sony YouTubers, most of which suffer from one or more of the following: unusual skin tones ranging from cyan to magenta to orange; atrocious smearing of detail or texture; little to no tints of color in the skin; or aggressively flat lighting on the faces reminiscent of early television. Of the ones I’ve selected, I prefer YCImaging’s the most: he’s got dramatic lighting that shapes the face and provides some contrast with the background; the skin tones are pleasing; and there’s adequate detail and texture.

chris-brockhurst.png
    1168 x 657 - 609K
    daniel-schiffer.png
    1168 x 657 - 436K
    jason-vong.png
    1168 x 657 - 393K
    max-yuryev.png
    1168 x 657 - 529K
    sidney-diongzon.png
    1168 x 657 - 517K
    ycimaging.png
    1168 x 657 - 515K
  • @jonpais try a different browser... I've found on the Mac at least, that Firefox, Safari and chrome all have different color tints when looking at the same image. Maybe someone else knows why there is no color consistency across web browsers...?

• @CFreak You are right, the browser can affect the way the image looks as well.

• Firmware v2.10

• In rare cases, the camera may stop functioning while writing RAW data onto an SD card that has already been used multiple times
      Notes:
      • This may also cause abnormalities in the files managing the images, preventing the images from displaying on the camera
      • No image data in the memory card will be corrupted or deleted aside from the data that was being written at the time the interruption occurred
    • Solves the problem caused by a specific third-party memory card, which would not be recognised by Sony cameras
    • Improvement of the overall stability of the camera

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3/downloads/00015680

• I've never enjoyed shooting video so much as I have with the Sony a7 III. It's been trouble-free from the get-go - and while it would be a treat if Sony offered a better codec in the a7s III, I like the fact that the 8-bit files take up so little space on my hard drives and they're a cinch to grade. Coming from the GH5, face-detect video AF is like a dream come true since all I shoot is people. The a7 III just allows me to concentrate on shooting. Even the menu, which many say is too complicated - well, there's a function menu with twelve instantly accessible menu items; menu items can also be added to My Menu; and there are a bunch of function buttons that are programmable as well - meaning I seldom need to go into the menu for anything. I can't recommend this camera enough for video shooters!

• Firmware Ver. 3.0 for α7R III and α7 III

Sony’s popular α7R III and α7 III full-frame cameras will both receive enhanced Real-time Eye AF performance with the upcoming firmware version 3.0. This will be available in AF-C mode with a simple half-press of the shutter button. Real-Time Eye AF for animals will also be available.

The cameras will also receive interval recording functionality that will allow for simple creation of time-lapse moviesv. The new feature can be set for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds, with a total number of shots from 1 to 9999. AE tracking sensitivity can also be adjusted to “High”, “Mid” or “Low” during interval recording, allowing for reduced changes in exposure over the shooting interval.

The new system firmware update version 3.0 is scheduled in April 2019.

• Finally, a firmware update for the A7x series that actually adds some neat new features and doesn't just add things like "works better with some lenses." I'm pretty excited for improved eye AF.

• Graded footage.