Personal View site logo
Infographics, kind of like Photostory
  • I'm wondering if there is a product out there that provides a fast workflow (using templates?) for creating 2D infographic animations (mixing photos, video, text, pie/bar chart animations, design elements). It should accept professional wrappers as input (mxf) and XAVC codec flavors, and also mov/ProRes.

I am aware all this can be achieved/imported in After Effects, however AE has a certain barrier of entry that doesn't fit my definition of fast workflow. Please do not point to proprietary broadcast CG software priced $$$.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I'd be interested in this as well. It's very labor intensive to make infographics for video and most of the time I just forgo them and try to say what I'd like to be showing.

• I feel like "powerpoint" (or "keynote" or "google slides" or any of a dozen other similar programs) is probably in a lot of ways the answer that you're looking for.

2D animations mixing photos, video, text, and chart animations are basically what those programs are made for. Most/all of them also support some form of templates.

Otherwise, something like Adobe Illustrator might work for you? I haven't ever tried it for that, but it doesn't seem like it would be too out of left field.

• Can PowerPoint/KeyNote take in professional codecs? It's a small point as we could always pre-render to mp4/h.264. Illustrator - no, that does something else, and it's not the easiest tool to use.

What is more of a challenge is how we get out of PowerPoint TO video. We can't just export it. Short of screen capture (there are multiple tools at various price points) I don't know how. What you then get is a low bitrate mp4/h.264 which you have to re-incorporate in a master video and re-encode, if the content doesn't stand on its own. It's quite the workflow, and a fragile one.

I'm hoping for something more like Photodex ProShow Producer. I've only tried it once years ago and it crashed on me, but it might be fit for the purpose. @Firworks : would you put some time into investigating ProShow Producer? I am swamped right now, but also in need of a solution. Thanks.

• Idea to find "all in one" is wrong idea.

Use best tool for animation parts (can be AE or many other tool).

Same thing for charts.

And to make complete product use your video editor.

• I agree Vitaliy. If on Premiere, import .aep and .psd and stack them on video tracks. It's a lot of fiddly specialized work though. That's why I mentioned the barrier of entry. You can't just give it to a content guy and tell him "plug in your content and press this button".

• That's why I mentioned the barrier of entry. You can't just give it to a content guy and tell him "plug in your content and press this button".

Well, find content guy who can learn. At least on the level of average cat. I know such people becoming rare, but try.

• "What is more of a challenge is how we get out of PowerPoint TO video. We can't just export it. Short of screen capture (there are multiple tools at various price points) I don't know how."

Powerpoint can export slideshows as a movie.

• @caveport I did not know that, thanks!

• @radikalfilm

Note that Xara also has keyframe animation mode and separate presentations mode.