Personal View site logo
Apple MacBook Pro 2018
  • PR

Apple updated MacBook Pro with faster performance and new pro features, making it the most advanced Mac notebook ever. The new MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar feature 8th-generation Intel Core processors, with 6-core on the 15-inch model for up to 70 percent faster performance and quad-core on the 13-inch model for up to two times faster performance — ideal for manipulating large data sets, performing complex simulations, creating multi-track audio projects, or doing advanced image processing or film editing. Already the most popular notebook for developers around the world, the new MacBook Pro can compile code faster and run multiple virtual machines and test environments easier than before. Additional updates include support for up to 32GB of memory, a True Tone display and an improved third-generation keyboard for quieter typing. And with its powerful Radeon Pro graphics, large Force Touch trackpad, revolutionary Touch Bar and Touch ID, dynamic stereo speakers, quiet Apple-designed cooling system, and Thunderbolt 3 for data transfer, charging and connecting up to two 5K displays or four external GPUs, it’s the ultimate pro notebook.

“The latest generation MacBook Pro is the fastest and most powerful notebook we’ve ever made,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Now with 8th-generation 6-core processors, up to 32GB of system memory, up to 4TB of super fast SSD storage, new True Tone technology in its Retina display and Touch Bar, the Apple T2 chip for enhanced security and a third-generation quieter keyboard packed into its thin and light aluminium design with all-day battery life, it’s the best notebook for pro users.”

Faster, More Powerful Pro Notebook Computing

The new MacBook Pro is now faster and more powerful, with 8th-generation 6-core Intel Core processors on the 15-inch MacBook Pro for up to 70 percent faster performance and 8th-generation quad-core Intel Core processors on the 13-inch model for performance that’s up to twice as fast.* With the option to add up to 32GB of memory on the 15-inch MacBook Pro, users can run more apps simultaneously or load larger files into memory. And with up to a 2TB SSD on the 13-inch model and up to a 4TB SSD on the 15-inch, MacBook Pro gives customers the flexibility to work with large asset libraries and projects wherever they go.

Retina Display with True Tone Delivers Ultimate Viewing Experience

With 500 nits of brightness and support for the P3 wide colour gamut, the Retina display on MacBook Pro is the best Mac notebook display ever. Now with True Tone technology, the display and Touch Bar deliver a more natural viewing experience for design and editing workflows, as well as everyday tasks like browsing the web and writing email.

Apple T2 Chip Delivers Enhanced Security and “Hey Siri” on Mac

Also new to MacBook Pro is the Apple T2 chip, first introduced in iMac Pro. With the Apple T2 chip, MacBook Pro now delivers enhanced system security with support for secure boot and on-the-fly encrypted storage, and also brings “Hey Siri” to the Mac for the first time.

15-Inch MacBook Pro Highlights:

• 6-core Intel Core i7 and Core i9 processors up to 2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.8 GHz
    • Up to 32GB of DDR4 memory
    • Powerful Radeon Pro discrete graphics with 4GB of video memory in every configuration
    • Up to 4TB of SSD storage2
    • True Tone display technology
    • Apple T2 chip
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID

13-Inch MacBook Pro Highlights:

• Quad-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors up to 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.5 GHz and double the eDRAM
    • Intel Iris Plus integrated graphics 655 with 128MB of eDRAM
    • Up to 2TB of SSD storage2
    • True Tone display technology
    • Apple T2 chip
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID

Back to School with MacBook Pro

The new MacBook Pro is also part of Apple’s Back to School promotion starting today and available to college students, their parents, faculty and staff through the Apple Education Store. The promotion includes a pair of qualifying Beats headphones with the purchase of any eligible Mac or iPad Pro for college, as well as education pricing on Mac, iPad Pro, AppleCare, select accessories and more.

New Leather Sleeves for MacBook Pro

First introduced with MacBook, Apple leather sleeves are now available for the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro in Saddle Brown, Midnight Blue and, for the first time, Black. Designed with high-quality leather and a soft microfiber lining for extra protection, the sleeves are a perfect complement to MacBook Pro for users on the go.

macOS Mojave Coming this Fall

This fall, MacBook Pro can be updated with macOS Mojave, the latest version of the world’s most advanced desktop operating system, with new features inspired by pros but designed for everyone. In macOS Mojave, a new Dark Mode transforms the desktop with a dramatic new look that puts the focus on user content. The new Stacks feature organises messy desktops by automatically stacking files into neat groups. Familiar iOS apps, including News, Stocks, Voice Memos and Home, are now available on the Mac for the first time. FaceTime now adds support for group calling, and the Mac App Store gets a full redesign featuring rich editorial content and the addition of apps from top developers, including Microsoft and Adobe.

Availability

Starting at £1,749 and £2,349 respectively, the updated 13-inch MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar and 15-inch MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar are available today through Apple.com and in select Apple retail stores and Apple Authorised Resellers later this week. Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/mac.

• 26 Replies sorted by
  • Thing has extreme issues with cooling of top processors

Specially note Windows 8750H based note as comparison

sa3863.jpg
    732 x 714 - 69K
  • It's pretty common these days with small/light 15" notebooks, unfortunately. I got a Dell XPS 9570 with an i9 and when under any sort of sustained load, the CPU throttles heavily. A bunch of people online said that they replaced the stock paste with better paste and it made a big difference (I'll be doing the same, myself). It will be interesting to see if people have similar success with the Macbook.

• Seems like thermal throttle will end as class action lawsuit.

As issue is with big engineering error by Apple with their VRM design, not just CPU cooling.

• So the moral of the story for now, is that if I want to replace my '14 Macbook Pro, go with I7, correct?

• @rockroadpix

Or buy good i9 or i7 and much cheaper Windows note, And if you so like, make Hackintosh.

• Here comes Apple

Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we’ve identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro. A bug fix is included in today’s macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems. Customers can expect the new 15-inch MacBook Pro to be up to 70% faster, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to be up to 2X faster, as shown in the performance results on our website.

• That's a lot of words to say "we turned up the speed on the fans."

• Apple Macbook i9 Update: For optimal performance, this model can only be used in Antarctica, North Pole or the frozen food section at Walmart. :)

• Performance difference: minimal.

• What really bothers me, how well people swallow that bullshit:

that there is a missing digital key in the firmware

WTF? Really, thats the most stupid thing I have ever heard. What is a "digital key" within a firmware? That doesn't make any sense.

Next up, you have to buy extra "digital keys" to "unlock" the full power of your computer or the runtime of your battery... (long life the uneducated mass).

• WTF? Really, thats the most stupid thing I have ever heard. What is a "digital key" within a firmware? That doesn't make any sense.

We are going fast to destination, pretty close

Next up, you have to buy extra "digital keys" to "unlock" the full power of your computer or the runtime of your battery... (long life the uneducated mass).

Here it is just PR stunt, but camera companies are for long in this "business".

• Actual thing can be that VRMs and cooling can't keep up with load is distributed on CPU and GPU.

Also I think that Apple also did is... add some undervolting. Can be part of patch.

• I can't remember which youtuber it was, but one of them used a utility to spin up the fans to 100% and tested before the patch. They saw a pretty large increase in performance in FCP and Resolve. I'm sure the VRM throttling is real, but if the fans are only running at 60% while the system is under full load, that doesn't make a lot of sense either.

• Ah, it was iPhoneDo. He published a new video with the results post-update. It looks like in his case, the update makes a big difference for the export that he did (23:42 down to about 18:38). With the fans maxed, it goes down from 15 minutes to 14:30. It's not to say that the VRM isn't also throttling and preventing the maximum theoretical performance of the CPU, but if Apple is willing to be more aggressive with their fans, the new Macbook will actually be a nice performance increase over the old one.

• @eatstoomuchjam

Proper thing in this "fix" test was to measure actual temperatures of components.

As this "fix" can actually turn to be opposite for VRMs, CPU and GPU.

• Max just posted up a head to head with the 2018 MBP i7 and i9 and... Things don't look so good for people who forked out extra money for the i9. Seems like a waste in that thin overheaty shell that cannot cool or power it to it's actual potential.

• @Firworks

And here is proper cooling

They'll present i9 update this week. And it'll be much more powerful and cheaper.

From http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/19278/xiaomi-mi-gaming-laptop-made-for-video-editing#Item_3

• Another issue started to sound more loud - laptop’s backlights are failing, causing the lighting at the bottom of the screen to appear spotted and uneven and later fail completely.

The cables to display in modern MacBook Pros are directly integrated into the screen, meaning that if they do fail, afflicted users have to get the whole screen replaced. That’s especially frustrating since older models of the MacBook Pro that had display connector problems could simply get the $6 cords

Nice.

There are also multiple people who claim to have started threads on Apple’s support site only to have them deleted.

Who could have thought.

https://ifixit.org/blog/12903/

• MacRumors reader Alvin Shen alerted us to multiple users on the Adobe support forums who report that Premiere Pro suddenly caused loud, distorted audio to play through their MacBook Pro speakers, resulting in permanent damage. In many cases, the issue arose when users were editing the audio settings of video clips.

"I was using the Adobe Premiere 2019 Audio suite for background sound and while tweaking the settings it made a loud distorted noise that hurt even my ears," wrote one user. "After that my speakers are unusable."

Shen took his MacBook Pro to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store in Canada and was provided with an over $600 repair quote for his 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro. The price is so high because Apple replaces the entire top case assembly containing the speakers, keyboard, trackpad, and battery.