Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Throttling of NVMe SSDs
  • Read

Write

This is that happens as marketing force engineers to produce crap.

Btw, this is not some noname SSD, nope. It is WD Black M.2.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • So the answer is: Get this thing cooled properly, to about 50 degrees celsius, no?

• @DuckAmuck

Yes, but it is not the consumer task to make proper cooling.

Actually if you open NVMe controller specifications you will see heat they produce.

• Samsung EVO 970

sa3238.jpg
    617 x 424 - 34K
  • Funny looking solution

sa3365.jpg
    742 x 561 - 52K
  • Consumer does not make cooler. Consumer chooses the cooler, buys it and uses it. Just like CPU cooler.

There's no reason to mention capitalism. It's just how things works.

Source link for the cooler: http://www.cryorig.com/cx18_us.php

• @tonalt

Consumer does not make cooler. Consumer chooses the cooler, buys it and uses it. Just like CPU cooler. There's no reason to mention capitalism. It's just how things works.

Core thing of capitalism - it is goods centered society. Goods on market must sell.
    So, whole importance from actually fulfilling needs shifts to short moment - sale itself.
    Nice expensive packaging, cool looks, anything that can make this product win among competition.
    Make it more shiny with more RGB leds and it'll go.

So, no, both stupid cooler and throttling itself are things that had been conceived and brought to this world by capitalism.

• I'd be curious if such a large heat sink is really necessary - I have a bag of small heatsinks that I bought for raspberry pis about 1cm square. It would be interesting to measure how much they would help with something like this.

• I have a bag of small heatsinks that I bought for raspberry pis about 1cm square. It would be interesting to measure how much they would help with something like this.

One thing with such small heatsinks is make sure to prevent them from falling and shorting something around.

• Good point - luckily, most of my cases keep the motherboard pretty level so even if the adhesive fails, the heatsink would be likely to stay in place.