Personal View site logo
Red Hydrogen One Holographic phone .....an expensive toy

• 5.7inch 2560 x 1440 pixel "Hydrogen Holographic" Display - seemlessly switches between 2D content (at full screen resolution), holographic multi-view content, stereo 3D content, and interative games, with both landsape and portrait modes.
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor
    • 4,500 mAh battery
    • Shoot 3D (and 4V “holographic”) video using the cameras on both sides of the phone, no add-ons required
    • Dual SIM support (or single SIM + a microSD card)
    • Stereo speakers and a headphone jack
    • View 2D/3D VR, AR and MR
    • Runs Android
    • Multi-band smartphone
    • USB-C connection
    • MicroSD slot

.... when an iphone isn't enough ...the only specs I found...
    It’s an unlocked, multi-band phone that runs Android.
    It supports 2D, 3D, 4-view holographic, and virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality content.
    There’s an algorithm for converting stereo audio into 5.1 channel sound… that can play through regular headphones.
    You can use the phone as a controller and monitor for RED Scarlet, Epic, and Weapon cameras.

"Priced at at $1195 for the Aluminum version, with a Titanium version that will cost $1595, the HYDROGEN ONE is a stand-alone, full featured, unlocked multi-band smartphone operating on Android OS, but it is more than a smartphone. RED says it is a 5.7” professional HYDROGEN holographic display allowing users to view all traditional 2D content at full screen resolution, view holographic RED Hydrogen 4-View content (H4V), view stereo 3D content and view 2D/3D VR, AR and MR."

https://www.provideocoalition.com/hydrogen-one-reds-holographic-smartphone/

[VK: Added stuff]

• 54 Replies sorted by
  • piece of shit

• Wow... I wish I had the marketing skills of Red's team. I can't imagine how they're getting people to spend $1200-1600 on a smartphone with basically 0 details about its features!

• They won't make this bloated whale float from only members at reduser. I'd hoped it would be an action cam....maybe w/1" sensor and their codec. Sadly it's another 3k for 3 grand deal, when 4k is 500 bucks !

• @kurth

It is not about toy.

It is about PR stunt, as it nothing more than PR stunt. Free remainder that Red still alive.
    In last year Red had been pushed hard in the top niche on rental cameras with sales of cheaper ones tanking.

• @vitaliy well...if that's true , that it's just a pr stunt, then all those folks having their cards charged will get a refund, which I kinda of doubt. Most likely they'll get an overpriced smartphone late in 2018, and wished they' been more prudent.

• @kurth

It is good reason why details are so vague.

The only PR stunt is about screen, as they openly say that all else is cheap phone, just with proprietary connector (it is actually necessary to use it as monitor).

Also it won't be lot of complains as it will be still usable as small monitor and will work ok for it.

Most probably we see here 1080p screen with 4 pixels in place of one covered by special lens. It is the reason why they constantly mention 4-way. Actually due to vision physics it has little use.

Always remember

With adequate profit, capital is very bold. A certain 10% [profit] will ensure its employment anywhere; 20% certain will produce eagerness; 50%, positive audacity; 100% will make it ready to trample on all human laws; 300%, and there is not a crime at which it will scruple, nor a risk it will not run, even to the chance of its owner being hanged.

To survive capital is ready for anything.

• @vitaliy speaking of 300%, I highly recommend the night manager . Usually profits at that level require government collusion and elites corruption.

• http://downloads.red.com/hydrogen.pdf

Marques Brownlee is another person who pre-ordered it. Bought 3 of them. https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/882993642834710529

Info about the camera:

"Preferably, the camera includes a capability for capturing still images with various and/or adjustable resolutions and aspect ratios for example but without limitation, as high as 6144×3160 pixels or higher with aspect ratios such as 2:1, 2.4:1, 16:9, etc, and a capability for capturing motion images at resolutions up to about '6K' or higher."

http://www.definitionmagazine.com/journal/2016/5/7/are-red-making-a-6k-smart-phone-case

• Heh. That video could be boiled down to "I preordered it because I make software and would like to make my software run on it because I will have a built-in market of people who have $1600 to blow on a phone with nearly no specs disclosed."

• @PauloTeixeira

Red specifically stated that smartphone camera will be ordinary and not any better than other.

• it looks like these resolution numbers are hype for some future camera module that attaches to the phone

• As it turn out Red has nothing to do with screen (only real difference with other phones)

Red Digital Cinema, the leading manufacturer of professional digital cinema cameras, and Leia Inc, the leading provider of lightfield holographic display solutions for mobile, announced today a long-term exclusive partnership to bring the world’s first lightfield “holographic” smartphone -- the HYDROGEN ONE -- into the hands of consumers in the first half of 2018.

The strategic partnership will leverage RED’s expertise in digital content creation and deep connections in the film industry as well as Leia’s proprietary lightfield display technology and software platform to disrupt the world of mobile entertainment. The Hydrogen program will feature stunning holographic content and 3D sound for movie viewing, interactive gaming, social messaging and mixed reality.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170907005038/en/Red-Digital-Cinema-Leia-Announce-Strategic-Partnership

• Some update

Display tech

In 2D mode (normal cell phone) the display is completely as you would expect. 2560x1440 resolution. Fantastic color and brightness.

Nothing to write home about, actually.

In 4V mode (holographic), the screen dims a bit and out pops a “better than 3D” image… no glasses needed. There is no way to describe this. You just have to see it. So far, everyone that has seen it gasps, swears or just grins. I wish we had recorded all the reactions. Priceless.

In normal words - it dims a lot. And what for this mode is? Gimmick like Amazon Fire?

Multichannel spatial sound… from the phone’s internal stereo speakers or headphones.

The audio demo has achieved as high of marks as the display tech. Same reactions. Again, no way to describe. You just need to hear it.

And this is just useless crap. All this talks about "multi-channel" audio is really old and work on imbeciles only.

Multi-component modular system

This is all done through our pogo pin system on the back of the phone. It provides power and data in both directions and modules are stackable. Think battery module, cinema grade camera module, and a variety of others.

Just no modules actually.

Industrial design

This works. The scallops make it easier to hold, fish out of your pocket… and looks cool as hell.

OK, industrial design for rich guys.

So when can you see it?

We are showing prototypes now to content producing partners in preparation for the HYDROGEN Network. This will be the one place to find all 4V content online. From major studios and other content providers to creating your own channel.

We will have a HYDROGEN Day at RED Studios to preview the technology and demonstrate how to become a content provider as well as show to pre-order customers… probably in April.

Delays, delays.

Spec update.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835x processor. The HYDROGEN One has a headphone jack. And a dual SIM slot. Two phone numbers or one sim and one micro SD card. USB-C.

Again, pretty ordinary. CPU is already outdated.

The internal battery is huge. 4500mA. We anticipate these being used a lot for image capture and content play.

Nothing huge in battery if you know smartphone market.

What is the resolution in 4V?

Complex answer. The 4V files match the pixel resolution of a traditional 2D file, which is great for downloading. The resolution perception is just different. The horizontal resolution of 2D is now split into depth layers. It gives a completely different feeling. All the pixels are there… but instead of "looking at” a pic, you are immersed in the image. It is quite spectacular. As a resolution guy, I absolutely prefer watching 4V over 2D.

So, it is VERY LOW resolution as "horizontal resolution of 2D is now split into depth layers".

• https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/23/16922872/red-hydrogen-one-release-date-summer-2018

Seems the will ship this summer? (my winter!)

Interesting new news, as I was recently thinking this would be more vaporware like RED had done in the past.

• Launch date is uncertain due to supply chain issues and carrier certification. Now shooting for a date in summer so carriers can launch at the same time. Preorders will still ship prior to launch.

As usual.

The display is very bright and crisp 2560×1440 in 2D mode with no negative effect from the 4V nanotech display component. In 4V mode, the brightness does drop but a beautiful show-stopping glasses-free, better than 3D image comes to life. Think being “immersed in”… not just “looking at”.

Actually except simple overlaid "nano" 3d lenses layer it is typical screen you can find even in $180 Chinese phones.

HYDROGEN will have stereo pair cameras front and back. This will allow you to shoot 3D to 4V without an accessory module (which was the original plan). You will also get a 2D companion file in your gallery along with the multi-view file. Note. The selfie side only shoots 3D-4V in portrait mode. The back side only shoots 3D-4V in landscape mode.

So, we have another reincarnation of 3D with very small distance between cameras.

HYDROGEN is a Media Machine, slightly bigger and heavier than other cell phones. This is to accommodate better speakers (think spacial sound even out of your speakers) along with a bigger battery (4500mA), the extra cameras, plus a headphone jack and easy to access external SIM slash micro SD card slot.

Ouch, headphone jack is now defining media machine. :-) I hope next year it won't be any physical volume adjustment buttons.

• A few months ago we added 3D cameras front and back to HYDROGEN so you could shoot 3D and convert to 4V without a module.

As was expected. They feed people my parts as if reveal all at once the marketing scheme will be instantly visible.

In the end, the launch date has been pushed back to August. The final date will be determined by the carriers and announced as soon as they make the call.

Expect next push, much further away.

• sa3329.jpg
    800 x 613 - 134K
  • Good comment that fully in sync with my comments above

The screen looks like a clearer version of those lenticular prints for deluxe toy packaging and such. You can see clear defined steps of angles as you shift your view. It’s not a smooth “hologram” like 3D representation. And most of the content they showed, the steps were like maybe 3 or 4 images at most when shifting angles. And only in one axis.

I think for realtime generated content, it might be better, but for the built in camera 2D images, or converting 3D movies, the steps are too abrupt and few.

I did talk to their games ppl who were demoing their SDK on Unity, and basically the SDK makes the game render 4 different angled pixels per pixel. But the GPU bandwidth is not destroyed since the games will be rendering at much lower resolution than the screen. Basically, 1/4th the screen res, so it’s almost a wash.

BTW, showing any 3D content, the screen res looked very low. Just like if it was doing quarter of the nativescreen resolution. They refused to say what the current hardware specs were (they did say that the demo units are 4 revisions away from final version), but the demos looked something like 960×540 or so. I think these prototypes had 1080p screens.

https://liliputing.com/2018/05/red-hydrogen-one-may-be-more-camera-than-phone.html

• Heh, RED is now trying to push all discussion of this away from their reduser website instead onto their new h4vuser.net forum which they're about to launch.

• Scary

RED is partnering with a company called Lucid on an 8K, 3D prosumer camera that will work with its incoming Hydrogen One smartphone, Lucid announced. The device -- shown above in prototype form at RED's Hydrogen One party -- has two synced 4K cameras that capture and convert video and images to 8K 4V (.h4v) files. Those can then be displayed in 3D on the Hydrogen One's "holographic" display, and later uploaded to YouTube, Facebook and RED's own content hub.

Also exactly as expected - 3D camera.

sa3354.jpg
    800 x 525 - 46K
  • PR

Lucid Partners with RED to Build 8K 3D/4V Camera for Hydrogen One

Collaboration will result in the first camera to convert full 8K 3D/4-View (4V) holographic images and videos in real time and the capability to dynamically adjust lens distances for the best 3D focus and zoom

Santa Clara, CA – May 22, 2018 — Lucid, the maker of the first VR180 3D camera, LucidCam, announces today it is working with Hollywood camera maker RED to build the next generation prosumer 3D/4-View (4V) camera for 8K video and image capture. The new camera is the first dual camera to give users full 8K video and picture capabilities converting to 4V in real-time while allowing them to shoot like professionals with dynamically adjustable lens distances for the best 3D focus and zoom. By attaching the soon-to-be-released modular holographic phone--RED Hydrogen One--to the camera, users will be able to view 3D/4V content in post and live as if it were the viewfinder.

The new RED camera is powered by Lucid’s real-time 3D Fusion Technology, transforming the time and processing-intensive 3D/4V workflow into an instantaneous point-and-shoot experience users crave. The look and feel of the new camera sticks to RED’s previous designs, but this time it has two perfectly hardware-synced 4K cameras which leverage a beam splitter to capture and convert the output to 8K 4V (.h4v) files. Once the content is created, all the high resolution 3D/4V videos and images can be distributed on YouTube and Facebook as well as through RED’s curated content universe.

“Having RED as a partner allows us to combine the best of both worlds – the highest resolution and quality hardware from RED with the most advanced software, our 3D Fusion Technology,” said Han Jin, CEO and co-founder, Lucid.

The RED and Lucid partnership enables both companies to extend their customer reach. Over the past year, Lucid has shipped and sold thousands of its VR180 3D LucidCams through Amazon and Best Buy as well as direct to consumers online, confirming the market interest and demand for creating and consuming such content. With Lucid’s solid consumer base and RED’s base of independent filmmakers and Hollywood producers, the new camera meets the need of a large, combined audience. The magic of 3D, VR and AR videos and images created by both the LucidCam and the RED 3D/4V camera can be enjoyed on the Hydrogen One without the hassle of wearing headsets.

The unique functions of the Hydrogen One phone in combination with the new 3D camera were showcased with a live 3D/4V preview at RED’s launch party on May 19th. Many people came to experience the holographic display capabilities, which provide a unique ability to let users look around and behind objects through 4-Views, and allow for viewing 3D, VR and AR content without any glasses or goggles. This phone also attaches easily to RED’s new camera and can act as a 3D viewfinder.

“This partnership allows us for the first time to deliver the highest-quality 3D capture to our customers, and now they can view the content immediately in 3D/4V without headsets,” said Jin. “At a time when two of the biggest challenges in the industry have been resolution and easy viewing of 3D content, we believe this is the solution everyone has been waiting for.”

The camera will be rolled out in Q4. Exact pricing is to be announced, as is the name of the camera. It will be sold through RED and its reseller channels.

For more information about Lucid, visit http://www.lucidcam.com.

sa3358.jpg
    592 x 556 - 39K
  • Hmmmm - Is it exclusively for use with RED cams? If so they're missing a big market sector with this, I would love a smartphone that doubles up as a hi res monitor for my EVA1 - that would be really handy. I'm sure others would be interested if its possible to use with various cameras......if not, they've f**ked themselves by limiting it to RED users only

• Lucid’s camera will use two sensors and a beam splitter. RED has previously said that four cameras are required to capture an h4v hologram. With the new camera, the beam splitter will enable each camera to capture two views, for four views total. Lucid will be contributing its 3D Fusion software that can combine the images together, enabling users to see the h4v hologram almost in realtime.

@tubefingers

They want to make family of products being tiny niche manufacturer. It is very hard, usually impossible.