Personal View site logo
The Big Question: G9 or GH5 or GH5S ?
  • 4k 24p 25p 30p 50p 60p in M43 cameras, but which one is best for me?

If you know how to recover the 110 ire video to turn it into 100 ire, you will not need V-Log to recover highlights, so the G9 will be enough for you. You can live without a Gimbal because IBIS + OIS can be good enough. You will need a fast computer to run NeatVideo denoise because anything above iso 400 will have lots of noise.

If you like these new video features like V-Log, HDR, HLG, 10 bit, 422, so go for the GH5... (I do not need this, so G9 with good grading is ok for me)

G7, G85, G9, GH5, all have lots of noise in any iso above 400, so NeatVideo is a must to deliver a good quality 4k image.

In a quad core @4.4GHZ + GTX650Ti I can get only 1 or 1.5 fps in NeatVideo 4K render, very slow. NeatVideo forum says a six/eight core pc with 1080ti will deliver 4 or 6 fps 4k render depending on radius amount. I think even a 18 core i9 with two 1080Ti will not be real time with NeatVideo...

Considering the Dual ISO feature in GH5S will not need NeatVideo even in high ISO, so it will be much better to buy a more expensive camera (GH5S) and a good Gimbal and avoid buying expensive computer for NeatVideo and avoid slow render time.

For me GH5S is the best at this moment (if you do not have money for EVA1 which I consider my dream camera now).

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • @apefos

Interesting video to see what issues arise when matching grades between the cameras.

• @apefos

Comparison with different colors make quite little sense (until you test auto WB).

• This video shows interesting comparison between GH5 and EVA1:

• I have GH4, GH5, G9. The G9 is really nice, and the stabilizer (in dual mode) really impressed me in handheld walking shots. Maybe I'm wrong, but the 'dual is' looks better than in the GH5.

• "For me GH5S is the best at this moment (if you do not have money for EVA1 which I consider my dream camera now)."

I'm still waiting for someone to do a side by side with the GH5s and EVA1, but the clips I've seen from the CVP when they initially looked at the GH5s and compared it to the EVA1 and A7sII - doesn't make me want the EVA1 (the arrival of ProResRAW is obviously a major plus point since that video they did of the GH5s)

• G7, G85, G9, GH5, all have lots of noise in any iso above 400, so NeatVideo is a must to deliver a good quality 4k image.

In a quad core @4.4GHZ + GTX650Ti I can get only 1 or 1.5 fps in NeatVideo 4K render, very slow. NeatVideo forum says a six/eight core pc with 1080ti will deliver 4 or 6 fps 4k render depending on radius amount. I think even a 18 core i9 with two 1080Ti will not be real time with NeatVideo...

You seem to be obsessed with noise, don't be. Sometimes you can try to use some simple noise reduction for chroma noise.

Btw NeatVideo is actually more or less good for extremely noisy, granny footage with not much details.

If you can't cure noise obsession, get some Sony FF camera.