Personal View site logo
Recommend GH2 patch with working HDMI out
  • Guys. I currently have one of the patches on the GH2 (don't remember which one, they look the same to me) which doesn't allow for Live HDMI out at all, either recording or previewing. I was incredulous when I first discovered it but since I had to shoot the next day I left it as is and shot without external monitoring.

This time around I want to capture the HDMI output to a recorder (1080i50 on Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2), so I need to improve on the situation. I would like to also record on the SD card for backup, though I don't care much for the bitrate.

Should I revert to the Panasonic firmware? I seem to remember there are pulldown issues with that firmware (but HBR, which I will be shooting, is good maybe?). Is there a recommended patch I should load which gives solid HDMI out AND SD card recording?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • The HDMI output works fine with all versions of Sanity. I know, because when I was developing Sanity I would simultaneously record the HDMI output and compare it to the in-camera recording.

• @Ralph_B I only now got around to installing Sanity 5.1 I used stock firmware linked in this forum to Panny's website - Vitaliy I think commented "It's a leak".

I'm having an issue I haven't seen before at all, with both the oldder SDHC cards and very new SDXC cards. "MOTION RECORDING WAS CANCELLED DUE TO THE LIMITATION OF THE WRITING SPEED OF THE CARD"

It's not the cards; on the SDHC cards I used to write 90 Mbs with another patch, and the SDXC ones are UHS-I V30 or higher.

What should I do? Obviously repatch, but what should I change? The base firmware? Your patch version? I'm in no mood of risking bricking the camera. Please advise.

• What should I do? Obviously repatch, but what should I change? The base firmware? Your patch version? I'm in no mood of risking bricking the camera. Please advise.

You can't brick camera with patch, otherwise check FAQ, slowly and carefully, all info is present.

• Hi Vitaliy. I've patched the camera before, with good results. This time I get this write error when attempting to record video. What should I do?

• @radikalfilm

Return to settings that worked good.

• I used to have a patch with HDMI out broken, hence the title of the thread. With Sanity 5.1 it can't write to any cards. Should I roll back to unpatched firmware?

• I've investigated and tracked down what happened. I had in fact installed Sanity 5.1 on top of a GH2__V10.bin image; insanity ensued.

PTool v3.66d speaks of "Available patches for GH2 v.11". However at the official Panasonic page http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html the highest firmware revision is 1.1: DMC-GH2 Ver. 1.1 2011/12/7

I will reapply Sanity 5.1 to GH2_V11.bin, and see if it works out.

• Reflash with GH2_V11.bin+Sanity 5.1 was successful. Card recording is fine. HDMI out is working. Recording to an external recorder (BM Shuttle 2) is working. I feel pretty smug right now; I have a direct route to ProRes HQ on SSD from what are essentially cobbled parts.

IMG_20180527_203613_resized_20180527_083708883.jpg
    1008 x 754 - 228K