Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH1 firmware research, testing
  • 277 Replies sorted by
  • I seem to have successfully (well, hopefully, I haven't had a crash yet) created a sort of hybrid configuration (Specifically for NTSC).

Humpman's work for the AVCHD side as it gives me the nicer shadow area without the streaky lines or loss of detail (especially at lower ISO) in a nice 48i package, particularly when compared to the LPowell 75mbps peak reliability patch. But also takes the Motion Jpeg configuration from the 75mbps peak reliability configuration.

I did lower the FHD/SH and Overall bitrate a tiny bit (93 to 91, 91 to 89), as it was crashing/freezing up for SH at the original speeds. And I increased (or set rather) the H bitrate to 50M

Basically AVCHD stuff is humpman's, Motion Jpeg configuration primarily from

What seems to work :

• AVCHD FHD - same as humpman's latest config but with bitrate/overall reduced by 2Mbps, gives the nicer shadow details

• AVCHD SH - Appears to work without freezing/crashing, and records as 59.97 progressive, have not yet had a chance to try a very high detail scene with a stopped down lens

• AVCHD H - Same as SH but with a more moderate bitrate

• Motion JPEG HD - 4:2:2 enabled, Frame size increased to 1536x864 (as was in LPowell's Patch), shows overall bit rate around 56~57 Mb/sec , best at lower ISO as it does not have the benefit of diminished vertical banding like humpman's AVCHD configuration.

I did not test lower sizes in either modes.

Here are some test clips, showing mostly AVCHD FHD, a couple Motion Jpeg HD, and a single AVCHD SH (720p60) which was reduced in speed 50% (I'll upload a transcoded copy of that file unedited shortly).

Editing in Davinci Resolve 14.3, the lenses used were Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 v.1, Olympus 45mm f/1.8, and an old Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, and a 1951 Canon Serenar 35mm f/2.8 LTM with a Promaster UHS-I U3 32GB SDHC card (writes at 80MB/sec)

My modified set file, the user.ini I use would be identical to the one humpman already published.

=Edit : transcoded the 720p60 clip from AVCHD SH mode and uploaded it unedited=

setg.ini
    982B
  • This is nice! For hobbies, GH1 is still rock!