Personal View site logo
BOYA BY-DMR7 Shotgun On Camera Microphone
  • Our review

Some little fun at test part to check if you can make cheap microphone to sound like expensive.

Specs

BOYA BY-DMR7 is good quality condenser microphone specially designed for DSLR cameras and camcorders. The integrated flash recording allows you to record 24-bit/48kHz wav audio files to MicroSDHC cards(not included), supporting capacities up to 32GB. It features one-button recording and easy-to-read menu display, making your recording work much easier. The 3.5mm data cable connects the BY-DMR7 Recorder to your camera's audio input, while the stereo headphone output allows you to monitor incoming audio. The shock mount system provides isolation from vibration and mechanical noise.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Nice delailed review, PV.

• Thanks for the in-depth, detailed Review! I have to say though, that the interference noise which can be heard on the BOYA (at 6:06 for example) is a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise this would have been a really nice package with the internal recording and even monitoring capabilities. If BOYA could fix the interference noise it would be a no-brainer! I'll stick to my Takstar Sgc-598 and my Rode VideoMicro for now, recording in the camera. (There's also a clone by BOYA which I didn't test yet but might be an alternative).

• @MrZz

It is outside location. Not best idea to look for anything outside tonal character in this moments.

As for alternative, I extremely strongly suggest Tascam DR-10SG

http://tascam.com/product/dr-10sg/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DR-10SG-On-Camera-Supercardioid-Shotgun-Microphone-and-Audio-Recorder/132143144619

It is outstanding thing. Has slate tone, safety track, etc

• Sorry I didn't get the full meaning of your first sentence? There is some clear pulsating static buzz on all the Boya's recording, that's what I meant, not the noise of the environment.

Yeah I already have my Eyes on the Tascam DR-10SG though it's around 150€ here in Germany. Though still a good price for what you get ;)

• Yeah I already have my Eyes on the Tascam DR-10SG though it's around 150€ here in Germany. Though still a good price for what you get ;)

Actually it is best thing, as none of competitors have such good recorder and safe track.

Sorry I didn't get the full meaning of your first sentence? There is some clear pulsating static buzz on all the Boya's recording, that's what I meant, not the noise of the environment.

I just mean referenced time is not best place to look for such noise. We'll try to test another Boya sample and see how it looks. Can be just sample specific.

• Definitely! Tascam DR-10SG is an awesome package!

And resolves one of the biggest diy-solution-problems for dslr/dslm filming or even with compact cameras without audio input haha. So many people I know mounted a Zoom H1 plus a mic on their small cameras, what a hassle.

Oh yeah that would be very good to know if it's only a sample specific problem.

• I reckon that is the best use for this mic. For cameras which don't have any audio input at all.

Such as Sony a5100 / Samsung NX500 / Panasonic GX85 / Sony RX100mk4 / etc etc.... there are so many on the market without an audio input! :-( :-/

• @IronFilm

Yes, but you can also view on internal recording as some kind of second SD backup card.

• @IronFilm yup always a bummer and then some of them don't even have a hot-shoe/cold-shoe mount, what are they thinking?! haha

Also I think using both internal and external recording, daisy-chaining them together is an awesome way of backing up, so yeah great package for all of us.