Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 camera, actual users feedback
  • 216 Replies sorted by
  • I have tried to use GH5 video focus pulling feature (focus transition). It seems difficult to program. Is someone using it and how it is best to use? It feels little clumsy to use.

The easiest way for focus pull would be just setting one end point of focus and when moving joystick the focus would go to that point from everywhere. The accelerating/slowing would be nice too.

Edit: I have now been training it and it works quite well. Only the audible click is disturbing when pressing the joystick button for focus point. It would be more silent to use just up, down, right and left with joystick.

• Hey Guys

Really useful tip on autofocus on GH5 : turn on Synchro Scan setting for fine adjustments of shutter angle and set to 179 degrees. The theory seems to be that a faster shutter than 180 degrees appears to allow an extra focus cycle per framer and 179 vs 180 has negligible difference on picture quality. Whatever the case, it looks like it works. As always, better performance above 24fps.

(Posted to "Focus Techniques with Panasonic Cameras" but wanted to post in specific GH5 topic, apologies if double post not appreciated)

• St Patrick's Day Parade in Boston

I decided to go and brave the cold weather to record it. Shot in 4K 60p with the Panasonic GH5 camera plus 12-60mm Leica Lens. Video just got live and so it'll be a while until you can choose 4K 60p.

It was on a Sirui P-424SR Carbon Fiber Monopod for most of the clips except for the first 3. I used the feet so that it can stand on it's own. It can get a little wobbly if you move it a bit to get shoots in another direction. I'm also using a head that isn't good for monopod use. Will get a better one. I was inside the gate while the camera and monopod was outside the gate. It was a little hard to shoot this way and on top of that, it was very cold and I had to go to the bathroom badly. I went early to make sure I get to a spot of my choosing and be at the front. Big mistake. Got their too early. It didn't fill up a lot until around 30 minutes before the parade started. Ended up being in the cold for longer than I should have. I was very uncomfortable during the whole parade. At least I had good company with me about a half hour before it started.

Aperture was mostly at f/9 and I kept it in Aperture priority. Perhaps if I was closer to the camera I would have used a manual shutter instead. Used auto focus.

• The GH5 can't even take 8K stills - the title of that video seems a bit disingenuous.

• The youtube description is 6K video. It looks like the title is describing the youtube playback size.

• Can you tell me if V-log ordered in let say Europe works with grey market Lumix? Also is the same box sells for G9 and GH's?

• Is there anyone still using GH5 v-log here? Im getting about 2/3 stop brighter preview in camera using Vlog assist then in Ninja and NLE using the same LUT. it can be seen even on waveforms. Even when Vlog assist is backed in HDME out to be sure its same lut applyed - same issue - in camera much brighter then on Out device and NLE. Is there anything in Camera which Im missing and it cause this? Like gamma or something..
    I was not going to use Ninja if I can get it in camera but cant get correct preview. I will appreciate any tips.. More obvious in low key but I can attach this sample at the moment.

105034370_10159002860037216_5833790863029906466_o.jpg
    960 x 443 - 69K
  • In September last year 2019 we finished this film, completely shot on the GH1. If your interested in professional Science documentary and what the GH1 can do with a small crew take a look.

• Gh1 was grate

• Oh dear did i say GH1! it was shot on two GH5 as a multi-cam shoot. Some people have been asking about the difference between the GH4 and GH5 the following film was shot using both and some shots would not have been possible without the 100-400 4-6.3 ASPH Lieca power IOS. See if you can tell the difference and pick which is which.