Personal View site logo
Gh5, latest firmware, dummy battery
  • A user on FB reported that after 2.2 his dummy battery was not recognised. Camera says it is not compatible. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • It is very fuzzy statements. As you need to provide exact voltage.

• I agree the OP on facebook GH5 group was not very specific. I have been using two dummy batteries, although for convenience only one now. My old dummy took anything over 12 v in and regulated that to constant 8.4v. This used a power bank to supply 12v. The GH5 didn't show a battery meter, so I would assume the constant voltage tricked the software to thinking it had a power brick attached. The other dummy has no voltage drop circuits and is connected direct to NP970 battery on sled. This give ~8.3v to start but drop, with discharge, below that because it's just straight 18650 cells and no regulation. The GH5 shows the battery meter.

• @wordsofpeace

Again. All Panasonic cameras measure voltage to detect if it is battery or dummy DC source.

• If one is using something like NP970 etc which has same voltage characteristics as the Panasonic internal battery, then I cannot see how the software can reject an external battery.

• Exactly, so I think the FB post had an entirely different issue.

• @wordsofpeace

If one is using something like NP970 etc which has same voltage characteristics as the Panasonic internal battery, then I cannot see how the software can reject an external battery.

It will 100% not allow it.

Camera communicates with battery chip and if it is not legitimate battery it'll stop camera from working.

If voltage is above normal battery voltage it won't make any checks.

• @wordsofpeace Vitaliy is exactly right, with any of my Panasonics there is a threshold. Below the threshold, it won't work, but if you pop the battery in with exactly the same voltage, it does work. Only exception is my GX85 which for some reason will show a battery symbol when a dummy battery is used.

• @DrDave

Of course Vitaliy is right, as he looked at the code that makes this shit. :-)

• I make my own dummy batteries by getting an aftermarket one then soldering connectors directly to the terminals. I connect to Sony NP no problems because the chip is there :)

• @scotchtape

Btw it is also much better for safety, as you have good margin instead of instant issue.

• It's funny that the GX85 is different--I should run some tests but there are few things as boring as watching a battery run down.

• Dr Dave, I think that’s what I said.

• Vitaliy, thanks for the insight. Works like a charm once I step the voltage to 9V. It would however be most convenient if I could plug it into my main 12V source directly (without intervening transformer). Is it safe? I can't find info on the internet and do not dare try it out...

• Applying a 10 kΩ resistor between the T and GND terminals will recognize it as a battery. The remaining battery power is displayed and you can connect the 7.4V battery.