Personal View site logo
GH5 Firmware Update - Performance Enhancement
  • Yosuke Yamane-san - the head of imaging at Panasonic talks about if required they would release a firmware update for the GH5.

The statement begins at 3:30. He talks about the GH5s being created because they listened to consumers. Then at 3:45 he says that if required they would release a firmware update for the GH5.

What Realistic Features would you like added to the GH5 via firmware update?

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • Any news on the latest firmware update?

• @Mckinise - DCI 4k 48fps is possible in 24hz mode as long as you can deal with 8-bit. Just use VFR to set it (the option for VFR isn't there for the 10-bit modes, but as far as I remember, there aren't any 10-bit modes available above 30p on the GH5 so that's not surprising).

• It will be interesting to see if any of our suggestions made it into the next update. My only major feature was the expansion of usable frame rates:

4096 x 2160 (DCI 4k) at 60fps in 60hz mode and 4096 x 2160 (DCI 4k) at 48fps in 24hz mode.

I'm not overly optimistic, but I am hoping to be surprised.

• I found one inconvenience. When I use slideshow play and I want to start video slideshow from file 500 (not from file 1) I must still start from file 1 and advance one by one to file 500.

It would be easier to just select right file and start slideshow. In vacation or hiking trip I often have many days of shooting in big SD card and I want to see one day as a video slideshow straight from camera.

It is also often the only way to show heavy 4k 60P files using HDMI out and 4k TV.

• This problem is a very old problem that inconvenience occurs even with GH 2 + OIS lenses.

When I noticed the problem I requested Panasonic old 14-140 lens repair but it was judged normal and returned.

• Thanks! The easiest way to reproduce this might be to use a monopod, lens with a long focal length and maybe make it even longer with Ex Tele Conv. mode and have the IS lock on. They’re not necessary but might help. Then just try to be very steady. The time that it takes for the IBIS to turn off varies but the last time I tried this it was about 15s. Here’s a video example. I shot it sitting on a chair and the camera was on a mini tripod on my lap, the tripod legs were folded together and I held the camera with both hands. This test was shot at 300mm focal length. That was also set in camera as the focal length. IS lock was on but no E-stabilization. After 28 seconds the IBIS quits and I shake the camera twice to wake it up at 47s. It does wake up but the whole thing would then repeat.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @chauchat

I am sure it related only to tripod work...

What about using IBIS with a handheld gimbal, like the Zhiyun? I've seen gimbal footage that looked just as stable as a tripod. If IBIS doesn't play well with gimbals, might as well go for the GH5s.

• @chauchat

Can you make some formal report, with exact steps to reproduce issue?

Also some short sample videos will help.

I'll make sure that Panasonic management will get it.

• I didn't really use a tripod. Only additional support from a mini tripod against my body or using it as a monopod. I could actually reproduce this problem just sitting with the camera placed on my knee trying to be steady as I can. Though admittedly that was more difficult. The IBIS turning itself off is a big problem especially if you want steady shots with longer focal range lenses and don't use a tripod but something lighter like monopod or just lean the camera against something.

• @chauchat

I am sure it related only to tripod work, as any handheld or monopod will always cause little camera movements.

• I really hope they would do a firmware update that would fix a major bug in the IBIS. It's impossible to get a steady shot when your trying not to shake the camera. The IBIS switches itself off if the camera movement is below a certain threshold. It happens with both dual IS and other lenses. At first I thought I had a broken GH5 but then I red this: https://www.reddit.com/r/GH5/comments/6psh1d/major_bugflaw_in_gh5s_inbody_image_stabilization/ And it pretty much describes the problem. Surely it's something they should fix.

• i have been a sucker for Panasonic products, having bought GH1, GH2, GH4, at least 6 Panasonic rice cookers, 5 hot water boilers, 4 plasma TVs, numerous Panny shavers, vacuum cleaners, massage chairs, and pocket cameras, etc. But i am increasingly disappointed with Panasonic as they either abandon their products (e.g. plasma TV) or leave promises unfulfilled (4/3 camera auto focus issues).

So this time around i bought an Olympus EM1 mark ii, and have been very happy with it. Will probably buy the EM1 mark iii when it comes out if it has better video spec. So long, Panasonic.

PS: if Panasonic products are increasingly disappointing, their USA consumer division is down right stupid. After being a faithful customer of theirs for 20 years, they can't find my name in their data base; and they can't deliver orders without always some "issues". Panny USA consumer division is run by morons.

• With the introduction of two alternative "flagship" lumix products (GH5s and G9) it does feel like the GH5 is lagging behind on features, especially considering when the GH5 was released and purchased by a lot of customers thinking they would be getting "the top model" neither of the other two cameras existed.. I think this could backfire on Panasonic in the longer term if they decide to ignore updating what used to be their only "Flagship" model. Panasonic should remember their GH customers over the years have always paid a premium, to get the best Panasonic can offer.

Panasonic ignore your GH5 customers at your peril..

• They could add high-resolution mode to the GH5 with the floating sensor along with Red Night mode easily by using the same G9 code. Those two are doable. But they probably won't.

• 4096 x 2160 (DCI 4k) at 60fps in 60hz mode and 4096 x 2160 (DCI 4k) at 48fps in 24hz mode.

• I asked (via that live Q&A) about dial locking:

Reply: "Not as far as we can determine, no. >Mark<"

• Remote manual focusing (follow focus) funtion via usb, wifi or bluetooth and a hardware controller unit. Hi resolution (fhd) lo delay wireless monitoring via wlan.

• Completely turn off noise reduction, sharpening, ect... a true "off" setting.

• 48fps was mentioned in the BHPhoto Panasonic GH5S Live Steam Panel at 47:35

• I can't believe that nobody has mentioned

• Continuous AF that locks on a subject and stays locked. Compared with Canon (and even Sony), even the newly improved C-AF behavior is an embarrassment.
  • Lots of great ideas here, but is anyone forwarding these to Panasonic/Lumix? Is @driftwood still frequenting this site? Perhaps we can ask him to forward or VK can assign someone here to pass these on. If it were just about any other company, I would say it wouldn't be worth our time, but seeing what Panasonic has implemented over the past few years - especially in GH5 updates, I think it's worth a shot. Still a bit disappointed though with past camera updates once a new model comes out (ie GH3 and GH4 - still widely used, though seeing no updates).

My top priorities - some are from the suggestions listed above (Trickster hit on many of them):

1) Better layout of overlays - especially LUT icon - plenty of room in black bars to move all overlays. VF overlays are nice and small, but LCD overlays are too big despite increased resolution of LCD screen. Maybe option in menu for overlay size and position.

2) 48 fps with sound

3) Punch-in zoom while recording for critical focus

4) Ability to enable and disable LUTs WHILE RECORDING

5) video-oriented shutter options when in movie mode. 24, 30, 48, 60, 90, 120, 180, 240 and 360 in NTSC and 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, etc in PAL. This will reduce having to rely on Syncro-scan as often.

6) Keep Zebras displayed while adjusting ISO

7) Ability to assign the control dials, jog dial to SS, Aperture or ISO, in any order AND direction you require

8) Ability to toggle HDMI Info overlay On/Off via an Fn command

9) Instead of the Flower / Mountain MF Scale, provide actual Mts/Ft where the focus is

10) Add the option to display both Degrees and Gain at the same time instead of ISO/SS

11) Visible ISO, Aperture, Shutter values when using a Program mode (mainly so we don't have to see Vesku posting about this across so many threads and forums ;) jk, I'd like this feature too )

12) Improve red record icon on screen - maybe red outline around entire image - better yet - give us options in menu to customize this.

13) TC via flash PC-sync connection like on GH5s - though probably hardware limitation.

VK - please feel free to reformat this list with better markdown :)

• I would love to see an kind of new open firmware that allow programmers to implement new feature.

I think Panny will never listen to small change that will not bring a good amount of profit.

So If we think about the magic lantern community, lot of skills there, we can see this is the best thing that happen to canon film makers, ability to shoot RAW-video, waveform and sound monitor, time-lapse a,d so much wonderfull specs ! It was the way to improve camera and Canon didn't spend money or effort for all that usefull in-camera tools.

When I discovered the hack for my GH2 it was a new world for me, I was able to reach a fantastic IQ (and break the video time limit duration in UE) with a mount that allow to screw a great amount of lens, chic !

I'm not programmer at all, but I imagine a firmware like a little OS and it would be a clever solution to bring all those little improvement by a community of user.

• One of the things I'd like to see is show a different set of shutter options when in movie mode. 24, 30, 48, 60, 90, 120, 180, 240 and 360.

It's true that you can set it to show the shutter angle but I'd rather just see the shutter numbers. Let people decide.

Ironically the Z Camera E1 shows extra shutter numbers.

• (1) Option to have half-press of shutter button do AE-Lock when AF-ON is on back button (currently does that on AFS but not on AFC and no option to do anything about it).

(2) Separate the Picture Styles for video and stills, so don't have to change every time switch between the two. (Actually V-Log L does work that way, just nothing else.)

(3) Have bracketing work in M, as currently IMHO it's broken.