Personal View site logo
Fujifilm X-T2, limited 4K camera

Specs

• 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III Sensor
    • X-Processor Pro , Fast AF of 0.06 seconds, Shutter time lag of 0.045 seconds
    • High-precision 0.48-inch, 2.36 million dot OLED viewfinder
      • EVF refreshes at a rate of 60fps, or as high as 100fps in the Boost mode
    • Continuous shooting of 5fps in Live View
    • Full 4K 3840x2160 30P/25P/24P shooting, Continuous recording: up to approximately 10 minutes
    • Full HD 1920x1080 60P/50P/30P/25P/24P, Continuous recording: up to approximately 15 minutes
    • HD 1280x720 60P/50P/30P/25P/24P, Continuous recording: up to approximately 29 minutes
    • Four different display modes: Full, Normal, Dual and Vertical
    • Tempered glass 1.04 million dot high-precision 3” tilting LCD monitor
    • Digital Split Image and Focus Highlight Peaking
    • Dust and moisture-resistant body.
    • Wi-Fi and remote camera operation
    • Lens Modulation Optimizer technology maximizes each lens’ performance
    • Die-cast magnesium body provides a sturdy and durable, while compact and lightweight design
    • Two command dials and six Function buttons for instant control and customization
    • Interval timer shooting for Time Lapse photography is available with intervals of 1 second to 24 hours and up to “∞” frames

PR

Valhalla, N.Y., July 7, 2016 – As a leader in advanced digital camera technology and outstanding image quality, FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the new FUJIFILM X-T2, a splash-resistant premium interchangeable lens camera with a large OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF). The X-T2 houses the latest generation 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III with an APS-C sensor with no low-pass filter, boasting the highest performance in the history of X Series. The new X-T2 produces crisp image resolution comparable to that of cameras equipped with larger sensors and higher pixel counts, all in a more compact and classically-designed body.

And for the first time, the new FUJIFILM X-T2 now supports 4K video recording that can use each available Film Simulation mode, including ACROS, to easily produce premium-quality footage that is as unique as the photographer behind the viewfinder.

Dramatic improvement to auto focus system The FUJIFILM X-T2 receives a dramatically improved auto focus system (AF) that increases the overall single AF points to 325, and the number of Zone focusing points to 91 (expanded from 49 in previous models). Approximately 40% of the imaging area (center area containing 49 focusing points) is covered with phase detection auto focus pixels to form a fast and precise phase detection auto focus area that can be used in a variety of scenes.

With the high-speed X-Processor Pro and the use of improved algorithms, the X-T2 now refocuses more frequently, enabling predictive AF of advanced accuracy.

The X-T2 also has an enhanced ability to autofocus on small points of light, low-contrast objects and subjects with fine and delicate textures such as bird feathers and animal fur.

The X-T2’s performance of contrast detection AF, enabled for approximately 65% of the imaging area, has also been improved. The data read speed has been doubled compared to previous models to achieve AF performance of higher speed and precision. Photographers will enjoy accurate focusing is all shooting situations, even in low light with a -3EV.

Another area of improvement is the AF-C algorithm that has been significantly enhanced for even higher accuracy when focus-tracking moving subjects in the AF-C mode. According to the type of movement, users can choose individual settings for Subject Retention Characteristic, Acceleration / Deceleration Tracking Characteristic and Focus Zone Characteristic, or select one of five presets or customize specific settings for these three elements.

Image Quality

Fujifilm’s commitment to superior image quality remains a guiding principle, and the FUJIFILM X-T2 is the latest effort to deliver outstanding picture resolution, all from a compact and sophisticated body that is both weather-sealed and easy to travel with in any location. With Fujifilm’s proprietary image design technology, produced through the development of photographic films, the X-T2 reproduces warm skin tones, bright blue skies and rich green foliage in beautiful colors, just as you remember seeing in real life. The X-T2 includes the ACROS Film Simulation for smooth gradation, deep blacks and beautiful textures to create monochrome images that far outperform even the most demanding expectations.

The X-T2 also has the Grain Effect function for reproducing distinctive graininess seen in photographs taken with film cameras. The function is available in Strong and Weak options, and can be combined with any of the Film Simulation modes. You can easily obtain the effect of film-based photos, notable especially when the image is printed out.

Speedy throughout

Basic response specifications, such as startup time, shooting interval and shutter release time lag, have all been improved to the extreme in pursuit of a camera that operates exactly as the photographer demands. The high-speed processing power and the use of improved algorithms have significantly improved the basic autofocus performance, and X-T2 now gives users AF-C Custom Settings for even higher accuracy in focus-tracking moving subjects.

The X-T2’s electronic viewfinder, which is used to continuously track a moving subject, is capable of displaying up to 100 frames per second, while also maintaining the magnification ratio of 0.77x and the display time lag of 0.005 seconds. The duration of the viewfinder blackout, in which the evf blacks out temporarily while the camera reads picture data, has been reduced by more than half, enabling continuous shooting to ensure tracking subject movements

• 140 Replies sorted by
  • Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm F2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Lens, $850

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/fujifilm-x-t2-digital-camera-w-18-55mm-lens-5

• FUJIFILM X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body with Free Accessory Kit, $799

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1378583-REG/fujifilm_x_t2_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

sa8757.jpg
    454 x 462 - 35K
  • sa4644.jpg
    800 x 633 - 64K
  • Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Body, Black - With Free Accessory Bundle, $1099

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt2a.html

Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless with 18-55mm OIS Lens and Free Accessories, $1499

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt2ka.html

• Firmware v4.10 released

• The functions of "Select Folder" and "Create Folder", which was planned to be included in Ver.4.10 will be incorporated in Ver.4.20 to be released in July 2018.
    • Upgrading firmware from Ver.4.00 to Ver.4.10 will remove the functions of "Select Folder" and "Create Folder".

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt2/index.html

• And now it is not public anymore

To all loyal Fujifilm X Series customers and photographers,

It has been brought to our attention that there are a few issues with the recently released X-T2 ver 4.00 firmware update. We have therefore taken the difficult decision to remove the update from the website until we are confident that all the issues have been completely fixed.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this has caused.

Sincerely yours,
    Toshi Iida
    General Manager
    Optical Device and Electronic Imaging Products Division
    Fujifilm Corporation, Tokyo, JAPAN

Details of the Problem

We have discovered malfunctions in the firmware ver.4.00 released on May 8 2018. They are as follows:

1. When RAW files, which were taken by X-T2 (before firmware ver.4.00), are converted in camera (ver.4.00) or by "FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO", they are not converted properly.
    2. When pressing the shutter button halfway under certain conditions, the live view can flicker.
    3. In rare cases, a hang-up can occur.

We have identified the cause and plan to release the upgraded firmware to address the malfunctions as soon as we can.

In the meantime, for customers who have upgraded the firmware to ver.4.00, the firmware ver.4.01*, whose functions are same as ver.3.00, have been posted on our website. Please download it and update your camera.

• *Ver.4.01 doesn't include the additional functions of ver.4.00.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

[ X-T2 Ver.4.01 Download page ]

Note

We announced the firmware update for GFX 50S, X-H1 and X-Pro2, which was planned in May 2018, on the Global website on 12 Apr 2018. However, it will be postponed because we need more time to check the firmware for the three models. For detail, we will inform you later.

• Bracketing

• FUJIFILM X-T2 (Ver.4.0.0) -- Available in May 2018

• Addition of Focus Bracketing allowing the photographer to shoot focus distance bracketing of up to 999 frames.
    • Compatible with new cinema lenses FUJINON MKX18-55mm T2.9 and FUJINON MKX50-135mm T2.9.
    • Enlarged and customizable indicators and information in the viewfinder and/or LCD monitor. Users can also customize the location of where information is shown on the display.
    • Addition of F-log SD card recording.
    • Addition of 1080/120P high-speed video mode ideal for recording slow motion footage.
    • Enhanced Phase Detection AF to improve performance in various shooting environments.
    • Addition of "Flicker Reduction" to reduce flicker in both pictures and display when shooting under fluorescent lighting.
    • Addition of "Select Folder" and "Create Folder" allowing users to choose the folder that images are stored in and to create a new folder.
  • Fuji X-T2 with Fuji 18-55 at 55mm ISO 200 SS125 F/5.6. The 18-55 is really an underrated lens IMO. I used a 22" beauty dish as a key light for both shots. The high key shot was backlit using a monolight with a 60" parabolic softbox. Some lenses suck when using this method e.g. flaring, ghosting, washed out milky image, etc. I just wanted to point that out because it really makes a difference depending on how you shoot.

I have a seamless paper backdrops but for headshots I don't need the seamless backdrops. It is way faster to setup and shoot backlighting the subject as opposed to lighting the backdrop itself. Anyways here are a couple of shots with the 18-55.

Fuji XT-2 Fuji 18-55.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 605K
    Fuji-X-T2-18-55-High-Key.jpg
    960 x 1440 - 365K
  • Continuing my exploration of the viability of the FujiFilm cameras for me I found this article https://www.cinema5d.com/fujifilm-xt2-vs-sony-a7s-ii-best-mirrorless-video-camera/ .

• @WalterH Thanks for the info the hot pixel issue is worrying. I wonder what is going on after all isn't it a Sony Sensor.

• +1 @Avo and hot pixels -

I've been shooting Fuji for stills for several years and I am usually very happy.

I purchased the X-T2 with hopes that it could be a good hybrid camera and second cam for my C100mkII - lighter weight for b-roll, b-cam for two-camera interviews, etc.

It does well for short sessions. Love the color.

Terrible for hot pixels! and I will be sending my camera in to Fuji shortly. I have not had anything show up in videos themselves but after shooting video during an event - numerous clips over about 90 minutes - and switching back to stills, I had a large number of hot pixels in my raw files. As the sensor cooled over the next hour or so, they decreased.

But hot pixels are now still present with any longer exposure and once shooting a longer session. There are also a few stuck pixels.

Very disappointing b/c I very much enjoy shooting with these cameras but I don't feel I can rely on the X-T2 professionally as a hybrid camera.

My X-T1 also developed may stuck pixels after two years of use (stills only.) Fujifilm replaced the sensor with little cost.

My other annoyance with the X-T2 is that when once a battery drains, it stops recording rather than seamlessly switching to another battery in the grip or body. Not cool during an interview. murph.

• @Azo Right now just something I'm toying with. As I have hopes for AFC in the future I'm sticking with comparing native glass a necessity on Panasonic for AFC with DFD support. In comparison of native glass I think the Fujifilm offerings are cheaper add into that the equivalence argument and it is no longer as necessary to chase the ultra fast primes though Fuji still has them. If you want to invest in the Fujifilm ultra fast primes they are also cheaper. The Panny cheap 50mm is an anomaly and is a piece of plastic that works well enough. I own it but find the Fujifilm equivalent 35mm f2 considerably better made from my inspection. The biggest problem to me is to give up IBIS at least till Fuji supposedly implements it in there rumored new camera. If anything I'll probably try out the XT20.

• @Scot I don't use AFC for video and have not tested the AFC in the video mode. The good thing about Fuji though is that they are constantly releasing firmware updates for their cameras. Fuji recently released another firmware update for the XT2 for AFC but I have not had time to test it yet.

In regards to primes I am referring to the 23mm 1.4 35mm1.4, and 56mm 1.2 which are the focal lengths that I would purchase for the Fuji XT2. They are kinda of pricey in comparison to similar focal lengths in comparison to Nikon/Panasonic.

Currently: M/43 Olympus 45mm 1.8 $249.00, Panasonic 25mm1.7 $149.00, Olympus 17mm 1.8 $349.00.

Currently: FF Nikon 35mm 1.8G $529.00 Nikon 50mm 1.8G $216.00 Nikon 85mm 1.8G $476.00

Currently: Fuji 23mm F/2 $449.00 35mm F/2 $399.00 50mm F/2 $449.00

What I have currently for Nikon's: Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Sigma Art 85mm 1.4, Sigma Art 24-105 F/4, Nikon 85mm1.8G, Nikon 50mm 1.8G, Nikon 105mm 2.5 AIS K series, Nikon 70-200 F/2.8, Nikon 70-210 F/4, and the Tokina 100mm Macro 2.8.

What I would personally buy Fuji 23mm 1.4 $799.00 Fuji 35mm 1.4 $549.00 56mm 1.2 $899.00 I use a Metabones regular G adapter and a Mitakon V2 speed booster adapter with my Nikon 50mm 1.8G, 85mm1.8G, and 105 mm 2.5 lenses on the Fuji XT2. Honestly though if I didn't have the problems that I had I would have switched completely to Fuji. The EFV, Colors, Video Quality, Still Imaging, "Wireless Tethering Previewing JPEG Images Only", Lowlight Performance, Weight etc etc.... I could go on and on about everything that this camera brings to the table. I did not invest any more into the Fuji system because of the problems that I experienced. I forgot to mention that my battery grip on the Fuji XT2 is constantly losing the connection and the camera just shuts off and frankly I have not had time to send it in for warranty repair nor do I really want to. I am kinda over the Fuji system because of the problems. To many problems within a short period of time for my liking YMMV but this was my experience with the Fuji XT2.

The only lens I have for Fuji is the 18-55 kit lens which is surprisingly really good. In terms of image quality I would rate it about the same as the Sigma 24-105 with the Sigma having a slight edge in terms of over all sharpness at different focal lengths and into the extreme corners. In order to achieve really good results with Sigma Art Series lenses the dock is MANDATORY.

In terms of overall value it is kinda hard to beat Panasonic in the video arena but Sony seems to be right on their ass now. On the photography front I think Nikon still offers the best overall value IMO. I currently use Sigma Art series lenses on a pair of Nikon D800's and that is the benchmark that I use for referance in regards to F/Stop and DOF for photography. 35mm on the first body and 85mm on the second body is my preferred setup.

On a side note I am a FF guy and prefer the benefits that FF sensors and cameras have. That being said if I had a better experience with the Fuji XT2. I would have sold my Nikon bodies and lenses and purchased 2 Fuji XT2 cameras along with the lenses that I want for my system. So that says a lot in and of itself. Perhaps I just got a lemon and this is probably what happened cause if I didn't I know I would have switched systems. I hope you win the Fuji XT2 lottery and get a good one ;-) LOL if you do I am sure you will be really happy with the camera and system.

• @Azo thanks for the heads up I did read a few people having issues but they seemed more minor than yours. I agree have had nothing but good luck with Panasonic. I didn't think the Fujifilm lenses were that expensive comparatively and given if I have my math right there f2 primes are equivalent to f1.4 for m4/3 one can save putting an economical set of primes together. How do you find the AFC seems more dependable than Panasonic. I should add I have searched around some more and the issues sound like major quality issues. Some people seem to declare no issues and some like you a few. So if I go ahead I will take your advice and buy new in case I get a lemon.

• @Scot I made the switch from a GH4 to the Fuji XT2 with no regrets initially. The lowlight performance for the Fuji XT2 is excellent in comparison to a full frame Nikon cameras. In comparison to the GH4 well the GH4 doesn't even compare IMO. Another thing to consider is the Fuji colors and yes it is better then my Nikon D750, Nikon D600 and my Nikon D800 and way better then the GH4 or GH2 that I had. I don't know how lowlight performance compares to the G85 but for me the M/43 sized sensor in general was just a little to small for my liking on the photography side of things.

I did have some problems with my Fuji XT2 and sent the camera back twice for different problems. The first time I sent the camera back was for overheating issues when shooting 4K video. Then when I received the camera back I started to get a bunch of hot pixels when shooting low key portraits. I don't have hot pixels anymore after sending the camera back again, but I am a little hesitant to invest any more into the Fuji system because of these issues. I know for a fact that I am not the only one to experience hot pixels with the Fuji XT2 cameras check out Youtube Zed Pro Media and a couple of other Youtubers have experienced the same problems. If you are considering this camera I would definitely recommend buying the camera new so that you have a warranty on the camera just in case you experience any problems you can have it repaired under warranty.

Based on my experience with Fuji and Panasonic. I think Panasonic cameras are a lot more reliable then the Fuji XT2. This is just something to keep in mind... also Fuji lenses are lot more expensive then Panasonic lenses especially the prime lenses.

I never had any problems with any of my Panasonic cameras or my Nikon cameras and that includes the Nikon D600, D750 that so many people have had problems with. I am just sharing with you the reality of this camera and my experience with this camera. I don't feel confident in terms of the overall reliability of the Fuji XT2 and I also wonder how this camera will hold up with heavy use. I really like the camera, especially the colors straight out of the camera but reliability HMMMMM??.

Hopefully this is helpful in regards to you making a decision one way or another.

• I'm thinking of selling off my Panasonic G85 and buying the XT2 or perhaps the XT20 with the knowldege the XH1 is coming. I've never thought about Fujifilm cameras much but have seen some nice output stills and video as well decent CAF. Anyone make this switch and have an opinion? I'm thinking in the long term I'd be better served by the slightly larger sensor and I like the Fujifilm lens choices and pricing.

• New firmware

1. The phenomenon is fixed that in the MF mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point under a specific exposure condition.
    2. The phenomenon is fixed that in the AF-S mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point with SHUTTER AF setting OFF.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt2/index.html

• FUJIFILM X-T2: V.3.0 Firmware Key Features Announcement

• New AF tracking algorithm enhances AF-C to track moving subjects half the size, or moving twice as fast as previous models.
    • Supports FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO which enables users to convert RAW files with X Processor Pro.
    • Improves radio flash controller usability allowing users to shoot with compatible third party studio flash in high speed sync or TTL mode via their radio controllers.
    • Supports backup and restore of camera settings from one camera to another via FUJIFILM X Acquire.