Personal View site logo
Wishes for the GH6
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • So this is how Alexa increases dynamic range to 14 fstops, using ampL and ampH and merging two exposures (two different amplifications).

Why other manufacturers and mirrorless does not do that I just dont know, because it seems to be so simple.

• @apefos

Direct citation

The Dual Gain Architecture simultaneously provides two separate read-out paths from each pixel with different amplification. The first path contains the regular, highly amplified signal. The second path contains a signal with lower amplification, to capture the information that is clipped in the first path. Both paths feed into the camera's A/D converters, delivering a 14 bit image for each path. These images are then combined into a single 16 bit high dynamic range image."

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16402/on-semi-sensors-power-arri-cameras

Why other manufacturers and mirrorless does not do that I just dont know, because it seems to be so simple.

Because it is capitalism, and doing so will decrease per camera margin from $3500 to say $3450.

• The neck strap positioning is wrong in GH5 (and others too). When hanging in neck the camera should set its position so that the lens points down. Now the camera hangs so that the lens points forward. The EVF hits chest and is in danger to get scratches and the lens collects dust and rain drops or moisture. I was in hike with GH5 and figured this is an issue. The lens hood also hit in rocks when I was climbing in difficult places.

It would also be better to change lenses outdoors if the lens points down in neck strap. Less danger of getting dust inside.

Factory made EVF cover would also be very helpful in wet or dusty places. I have now a home made EVF cover. Every other optical instrument has an EVF or ocular dust cover. Why not a camera with high resolution multi coated sensitive EVF?

• Support 4 channels of audio

Ohhhh... that would be nice! Would turn the GH6 even more into a "mini FS7".

The GH6 could use the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 for inputs 3/4 via the smartshoe, and tracks 1/2 would be via the stereo 3.5mm input on the camera body itself.

• So it seems it will happen, the 8k organic sensor:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-panasonic-8k-organic-sensor-presented-february/

but maybe just for high price cameras...

• First: For this kind of camera it is totaly unacceptable to have such poor AF functionality. This is a basic feature and Panasonic has to deliver something as fast and accurate as Canon.

Second: Built in GPS sensor for geo tagging. The phone/app/Lumix Link mess is just a toy.

4K, 6K, 8K..I don't care before the basics are delivered. I am considering going back to Canon if this basics are not delivered.

• @Aurora

I am considering going back to Canon if this basics are not delivered.

Why not just buy one of their cheap mirrorless cams? Or even DSLR on sale?

I mean they have Dual AF now on pretty much any camera.

• First: For this kind of camera it is totaly unacceptable to have such poor AF functionality. This is a basic feature and Panasonic has to deliver something as fast and accurate as Canon.

Please tell Arri that.

1. Decent auto focus. Sony's A6500 auto focus is perfectly acceptable.
    2. 14 stops of dynamic range
    3. 12 bit color

In order of importance. Any one of those would be amazing haha. At this point further resolution past 4k is not needed. The GH5s is close to perfection for me.

Also the ability to turn off distortion correction and sharpening when using native lenses.