Personal View site logo
Panasonic G9, m43 4K monster with LCD on top
  • 273 Replies sorted by

Panasonic is falling to the dark side.

sa466.jpg
    675 x 296 - 47K
    sa465.jpg
    800 x 607 - 110K
  • Imaging resource samples: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g9/panasonic-g9A7.HTM

From what I see, the JPG's look better compared to the GH5.

• From what I see, the JPG's look better compared to the GH5.

What exactly you mean under "better"?

Less noise? Better colors (still want to understand this vague term)?

• @Eno I don't know I looked at 800 ISO because my camera spends more time there than I'd like and I don't see any credible difference virtually identical. Perhaps you saw something at a different ISO. With the marketing could it be a case of the emperors new clothes. If that's the case I will have to admit to being to incompetent to see the difference.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev . I see a little bit better colors (especially yellow hues), a little bit better detail (more evident at higher ISO values), an organic appearance of noise structure and less sharpening artifacts. The overall image quality looks very nice (more organic like the Fuji) and I finally wouldn't mind also shooting JPG's besides the raw files on this camera (my subjective opinion, of course).

• @Eno More organic jpegs (assuming this is true) sounds like something that could be tweaked in a future Gh5 firmware, Panasonic willing of course.

• Decent JPEGS is nice, but IMHO not a deal breaker or a reason to buy a camera.

• @DrDave. Agree!

But compared to the competition the G9 has better video specs than any other camera manufacturer has offered and it does exactly what I need it to do (6k, 4K and FHD video, with resizing from the full senor length) + it has better specs compared to the GH5 on the photo side of things ( which I really do appreciate cause we do 50/50 photo and video work). I really don't have much use for the V-LOG, LOG GAMA, 10 bits and 4:2:2, ALL-I codecs etc. The only feature I'll probably miss from the GH5 is the unlimited recording time but if I could live without it until now I'll probably manage. I need several cameras so for me the price will be the most definite part of the equation. If the GH5 gets a nice discount for the BF sells and will be priced lower than the G9 I may get it instead, if not I will get the G9 (especially if they offer a free grip for preorders)... Whatever offer it's better. :)

• I was able to convert the G9 raw files with RawTherapee and although the tonal curve is off, the noise measurement can be sassed correctly compared to the GH5. Interestingly also the RAW images look cleaner on the G9 compared to the GH5.

G9 vs GH5 ISO 25600 RAW.jpg
    1599 x 976 - 2M
  • @Eno

I really don't have much use for the V-LOG, LOG GAMA, 10 bits and 4:2:2, ALL-I codecs etc.

Yet all this is just disabled software features :-) Thing I hate in capitalists the most. Behavior that is unnatural to any normal human being.

I was able to convert the G9 raw files with RawTherapee and although the tonal curve is off, the noise measurement can be sassed correctly compared to the GH5

Before visual comparison of noise you need to perfectly match all other stuff. In this sample it is not such.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev. The tonal curve is perfectly matched between the two cameras. :)

G9 vs GH5.jpg
    1594 x 977 - 709K
  • better AF in video!! Cant wait to see. But HD only 28 Mbps thats a deal breaker, and no .mov

• @konjow. The Blu-Ray standard for 24p is 24 Mb/sec in h.264. Panasonic uses very good h.264 & h.265 codecs, I see no problem here. If you want better quality you can always shoot 4K or 6K then down sample. :)

• The Blu-Ray standard for 24p is 24 Mb/sec in h.264. Panasonic uses very good h.264 & h.265 codecs, I see no problem here.

Encoders used for BR are much better and footage usually also better compressed. Panasonic encoders are not so bad as they used to be, but they are still far from good x264 or x265 settings. Actually for complex detailed and moving footage you still need around 2x-3x more bitrate for same resulting picture.

• @Eno That is a delivery format. You don't want your source footage so compressed for grading. If you have source footage at 50Mb/s, you have more to work with and then can deliver at 24Mb/s for a clean result.

There is absolutely no reason to be limited to 24Mb/s in a camera to be released in 2018. These are 2012 bit rates. There are a few reasons I can think that someone may not want to record in 4k, so we should have the option for decent footage in 1080p. Just stupid marketing bullshit.

• There is absolutely no reason to be limited to 24Mb/s in a camera to be released in 2018. These are 2012 bit rates. There are a few reasons I can think that someone may not want to record in 4k, so we should have the option for decent footage in 1080p. Just stupid marketing bullshit.

Yet it is perfect reason to have in camera 15-20Mbit HEVC or even H.264 with much better codec. As If you want to transfer lot of footage fast afar you won't be fan of 200Mbit.

• There is many reasons for me to use HD dissent 50 Mbs or 100 if not decent As in previews models at least.

• My G85's 1080p (which is also 28mbps) is pretty good- so long as there isn't a ton of motion, and you don't try to grade the footage much. It really should be higher though, even on the G85. 50mbps or 75mbps would help a lot with those issues and IMO would still leave plenty of distance between these cams and the GH5.

• 2 steps forward, 2 steps kinda sideways and slightly backwards.

• The idea of the M4/3 format when it was born were small cameras with great image quality, now we have bigger cameras than the FF and with similar price. Lol.

G9A7rII.png
    929 x 374 - 338K
  • @Manu4Vendetta

Yes, it is still sad that people hands not adapted fast to m43 size. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I dont have small hands (normal) and I love small cameras, I love the size of Nex-5N, the GX7 size is good, are people who like to show off a big gear.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @Manu4Vendetta . I really like the bigger and comfortable grip on the G9 and I really, profoundly dislike the bad Sony ergonomics. If you would use an entire day both cameras with a medium sized lens and a flash attached you will understand this too. :)

In the menus at minute 4:26 I clearly see 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p so where's the region looking on this camera?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=227&v=mCnqpthbF1g

• In the menus at minute 4:26 I clearly see 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p so where's the region looking on this camera?

My post was early on based on published specs that somehow did not have PAL framerates.

• I managed to hack the Panasonic G9 RAW files in a HEX editor so that ACR would open them.

Below I made a side by side RAW image comparison (with Imaging resource RAW samples) between the G9 vs GH5 at different ISO values. It can easily be seen that the G9 has less noise compared to the GH5.

G9 vs GH5 ISO 3200 RAW.jpg
    1596 x 973 - 1M
    G9 vs GH5 ISO 6400 RAW.jpg
    1596 x 973 - 1M
    G9 vs GH5 ISO 12800 RAW.jpg
    1596 x 978 - 2M
    G9 vs GH5 ISO 25600 RAW.jpg
    1598 x 977 - 2M