Personal View site logo
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and MixPre-6
  • 71 Replies sorted by
  • So with a zoom f8 you get a bit of the clips less audio recorder tech (dual ADC) then we simply need software to make a HDR file out of two audio files. (Like in photography)

Yep. Btw no need for HDR here. For most tasks even 24bit resulting file will work perfect and it is supported by much more software.

Can be small automated utility that check source file and use info from double track only then and where necessary. May be I'll even write one.

• The utility may need to be a bit more complex. With simple replace louder data (without clipping) then it will be limiter effect. Cool thing about dual recording is that it would be possible to have very high quality dynamic range without limiting effect (pumping of high levels).

Possibly it could do it in passes. First pass repair clipping, and normalise to new level. Second pass extend noise floor downward (downward clipping repair?)

Obviously these are just ideas, I'm no software engineer! :-)

The only issue I have with AD clipping is that many AD chips exhibit distortion even before clipping. At about -3 Dbfs there is distortion present. I try to keep my hot levels -12 dbfs so to give headroom.

• The utility may need to be a bit more complex. With simple replace louder data (without clipping) then it will be limiter effect. Cool thing about dual recording is that it would be possible to have very high quality dynamic range without limiting effect (pumping of high levels).

No, it won't be limiter as it'll have preliminary scaling. And of course it'll scan all data first. 100% of mike sources can be fir within 24bit without loosing any info.

Issue with ADC is many companies like to use outdate designs and chips. Modern ones are multi channel 32bit ADC and cheap (like used in Sound Devices), they are offered by most manufacturers now.

• I don't think Tascam or Zoom currently use 32bit ADC, as if they did we would be sure to see it in the marketing and specs?

• I don't think Tascam or Zoom currently use 32bit ADC, as if they did we would be sure to see it in the marketing and specs?

I think they do not.

In reality 100% of top recorders must use 4 parallel 32bit ADCs per channel, with each being 12-20db apart (0, -12db, -24db, -36db).

• I've order one of the MixPre6's so in a few weeks will post a review. Hopefully new firmware will be available by then. :-)

• Availability seems to be very low now. Hopefully I manage to get mine soon.

• 2 weeks delivery here. :-(

• Smart move by SD as there is real competition in the sub $800 market.

• The funny thing is, once the price is lower ppl will think the older, more expensive ones are better, and also realize that some of the other cheap brands sound the same.

• The funny thing is, once the price is lower ppl will think the older, more expensive ones are better, and also realize that some of the other cheap brands sound the same.

This is the catch and how many legendary brands die :-)

• @DrDave it's not only about the sound, it's also about features that allow good sound in compromised situations. There is little point in saving cash on a recorder, only to have talent suddenly yell into microphone, and have a ruined take.

Currently the tech just isn't there for digital only systems to be better than high quality analog systems. Obviously one day soon they will be- just not today.

That said- gain is digital in the SD device- so that is a start. And they have amazing technical support!!! :-)

• Just a small update with my MixPre6. I have worked out a simple USB-C battery pack solution to power the device. As stated a few times already:

• The MixPre6 is very selective with its USB-C power requirements.
    • MixPre6 needs a native USB-C power supply chain. Ie: not USB-A -> USB-C
    • I also believe that a USB-C cord rated to 7W is needed (which should be most newer cables)
    • Without a good power supply the MixPre6 will only operate 2 inputs with phantom power- and will display a yellow power icon on the top menu - as opposed to green.

This in itself isn't that exciting, however if you are able to find a USB-C battery pack that has USB-C PD (power delivery) the time to charge large battery packs will reduce to only a few hours, (as opposed to 7+).

Currently I have had great success with the Cygnett Type-C 20,000MAH battery pack, and when combined with a PD USB-C charger, works flawlessly.

Although the Cygnett battery is a bit more expensive than the usual battery packs, the inclusion of PD charging (and also powering a laptop over PD) is super useful. Thankfully USB-C PD chargers are easy to find and inexpensive.

Obviously many battery packs also now have QC3 (Quick Charge 3). However I have not found any power banks that allow 20v charging using QC3 at this time.

For example: I also purchased this device:

• Vinsic QC 3.0 Quick Charger USB-C Power Bank

However that is only able to charge with 5v, 2Amps.

And as many readers of this thread would probably know, USB-C is super snug fitting, much better than Micro-USB etc.

• Nice workshop video