Personal View site logo
HP activated printers time bomb via smart firmware update
  • 12 march 2016 HP Company issues new firmware for some of their printers (HP Officejet Pro models). Sole contents of update was to introduce blocking of almost all non original cartridges, except newest non original ones.

After firmware update nothing happened and all people worked as usually, on non original cartridges.

But exactly at midnight September 12th all such printer sent their last farewell and just refused to print until you go and buy super expensive original stuff.

In other words, this guys introduced time bomb for their products. And it is easy now with all this Wi-Fi and network connections where printer update firmware by himself.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Desktop printer = ink vending machine

• Look like an extension of Apple rulers. :(

• Revenue is down. Obsolescence looms. Knock-off cartridges are a cheap and easy alternative. HP’s apparent solution? DRM. Great.

Just to be clear, this isn’t a solution for you. It’s a solution for them. Got an OfficeJet, OfficeJet Pro, or Office Jet Pro X printer? As of last week, reasonably priced third-party ink cartridges no longer work.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/hp-printer-drm/

Good illustration of capitalism conflict between small bunch of capitalists and whole society.

• HP backtracks; promises optional firmware that will allow 3rd-party cartridges: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/blog/Small-Business-Printing/best-possible-printing-experience.html

• normal printing, hello Brother laser printer.

• HP backed off a little bit - promised optional update to may be, probably, return some ability to run third party cartridges.

But still scare people via stupid journalists that some third party cartridge will infect printer and it will infect your precious computer or phone. I am serious.

• One year passed and another bomb from new firmware by HP.

OfficeJet 6800, OfficeJet Pro 6200, 6800, 8600 and OfficeJet Pro X 400/500 affected

Guys tell that old fix from official site is still working. But as main target is normal user - it'll bring big money.

• We do a lot of printing. The heavy duty stuff is handled by HP Laserjet printers, the 4200's and the 4350's and their relatives. They have a duty cycle of a million pages. I buy reputable clones for toner, 20K per cartridge, $25-$30 for thebig ones, and each one comes with a brand new drum inside. These printers are just unbelievable, and the quality is better (Canon print engine, go figure). Then there is a stack of Epson Workforce inkjet printers with the big ink cartridges. And a bunch of other printers, including three Brother laser printers for the light stuff, they don't print as well but they are quieter and less bulky. The 4200 is 15 years old and wipes the floor with recent Brother models for print quality, who knows how long it will last?
    One basic rule: do not update the firmware on the inkjets unless you have some sort of awful problem that needs to be fixed. It doesn't matter what brand they are, you are asking for trouble. Just keep on printing.
    Imagine if you bought a car, and it would only accept gas from one brand.

• @DrDave

As I understand it is connected devices and they do not ask much about it.

• The thing is, the eBay cartridges are often like $5 for a whole set, a bit more for the bigger ones. I had to throw out (recyle, of course) some Epson cartridges several times becasue of firmware updates (you can sometimes buy new chips or a chip resetter....). I think Epson was doing it years before HP. Often there is no reason for a firmware update. The HP laser printer toner has a chip but it isn't as fussy.