Personal View site logo
Xiaomi Xiaoyi YI-M1 m43 camera, 4K video, $213 only now for kit
  • 303 Replies sorted by
  • Would it be stupid to think that a 4k capable camera like this could do a good 2k 10 bit?

What do we need to hack a cheap chinese camera? I'm willing to help.

• Would it be stupid to think that a 4k capable camera like this could do a good 2k 10 bit?

Any 4K camera can produce 1080p 10bit image after resize.

What do we need to hack a cheap chinese camera? I'm willing to help.

Just do it, what holds you?

• Lack of knowledge holds me... How do i begin? What should i learn first?

• @samuelcabral

I have little idea.

Get hex viewer.

It is format similar to some Fujifilm cameras as I said. How it is organized - no one knows. It does not seem to be encrypted, uses some for of simple compression.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just got the Hexinator

• Any 4K camera can produce 1080p 10bit image after resize.

That's not right. Any 4k 4:2:0 can be downsampled to make 1080p 4:4:4. But if you start with 8 bits, you don't magically get 10 bits by downsampling. Intermediate 10-bit values can be created at the boundaries between color values, but only at those boundaries. If there's a sky with banding in 8 bits, the bands will still be there even if you downsample in 32-bit floating point.

• @balazer

We have topic for this, so better use it. Otherwise it is misunderstanding of math and statistics specifically.

• I won't touch that pseudoscience topic.

• I think this CAM will never have live view over HDMI Just like the GFx.

• @mitkoo

Who knows. For now it seems that they just do not care.

Panasonic is different as they intentionally do not want to spoil things.

• $299 for kit deal

www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4CSJ2/

sample155.jpg
    515 x 463 - 34K
  • Nice price!

I was told by them that they are adding manual controls for video and clean hdmi output on a future firmware.

"We have a plan to add manual focus and clean hdmi output through firmware update in future. We are sorry that we can't tell an estimated date at this moment. We will continue to improve color profiles too.

We will try our best to improve the camera and make it better. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Best regards, Julia

YI Technical Support"

• @samuelcabral

What about 4GB limit?

If they'll do all this it is almost perfect secondary camera. Or camera for blogger or such.

• Good ideia, @MikeLinn!

But i've just sent an e-mail to support@yitechnology.com, i have no relation with the company.

I suggest you to do the same thing.

I believe that if they see that are more potential clients interested on their product they will start to update their firmware.

• Another idea that a guy from another forum had was to pay a hacker via crowd funding (sorry if this is a offensive idea for you, Vitaliy) to "update" a camera the way that we need.

I live in Brazil and the taxes and prices here are just unreal. For that reason i'm obsessed with the idea of hacking cameras.

I have a Canon Eos M shooting RAW 12 bit in good resolution for less than $200 bucks. It's amazing what can achieve only changing the software of the cameras. My addiction started with the GH2... so thanks Vitaliy!

• I live in Brazil and the taxes and prices here are just unreal. For that reason i'm obsessed with the idea of hacking cameras.

Better be obsessed with idea how to change situation that your capitalists made :-)

Hacking cameras is safer, but it won't make life around better.

• NOT confirmed yet, bu found it online:

Firmware version 3.0 will release this summer and is reported to bring (per YI support):

1, Improved JPEG engine. We will improve the JPEG quality for the noise, color, and overall picture tune to a much better level.
    2, RAW+JPG will be supported in next firmware version.
    3, Auto Focus will be improved further especially in the low light, low contrast and backlight conditions. Also the lens compatibility will be improved.
    4, Liveview histogram will be added in next release.
    5, Full manual control of the video recording will be supported.

• https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/yi-m1-camera-hack.30259/

v3.0 firmware

Firmware 3.0-int Pre-review update description:

• New:

1, Added exposure control in the mode P/A/S/M when shooting a video.

2, Added AF/MF control in video model

3, Added RAW+JPG format

4, Added still image option in Time Lapse

5, Added shooting 1-3 images options when the interval time is 2 sec and 10 sec Time Lapse

6, Added the histogram in live view mode

7, Added further focus modes with a 6X/8X/10X magnification MF

8, Added 2 ways for the Metering mode to show in the UI.

9, Added the user guide (You can see it after reset to Factory Setting)

10, Added selecting more images and deleting them at the same time

11, Added 2 other options for the displayed grid.

12, AE algorithm optimization

13, Master Guide template display logic optimization.

• Fixed:

Fixed some known bugs, and improved the overall stability of the system.

• Changed:

Thumbnail display is changed from 9 sheets / screen to 20 sheets / screen.

• Can you use 42.5mm yi lens with AFS and AFC in video on Panasonic m43 cameras ?

• @DrDave

v4.0 feature :-)

But really, camera video is useful for bloggers and web first and 30 fps is ideal here.

• is there a body only option anywhere for cheap? :)