Personal View site logo
Panasonic Varicam LT official topic
  • 95 Replies sorted by
  • According to retail related leaks sales of LT cameras are bad, so Panasonic offered some promo

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/provideo/promo/varicam-lt_4500_cash_rebate_promo.pdf

img2878.jpg
    688 x 317 - 48K
  • Panasonic VariCam Exposure Tools

• Varicam LT vs Amira

• I'm not sure I understand what Panasonic's "dual native ISO" hype actually is. In the video below, the marketing rep makes numerous questionable claims, but the gist is that the Varicam LT has two analog gain circuits reading the sensor, with "native ISO" of 800 and 5000. But analog gain is just linear amplification, so what's the difference between "artificial electronic boosting" of the ISO 800 signal to ISO 400 versus its "other native capacitor that allows it to reclock at ISO 5000" (sic)? Is the rep saying the camera only has two analog gain settings and all the other ISO levels are simulated with digital scaling?

• @LPowell

I believe that "dual native ISO" is marketing term dating way back.

Also most probably it can mean that they have two simpler amplifiers and two ADCs. While many cameras can have variable gain amplifier and single ADC. Arri and Black magic also claimed similar thing. Idea was to use two amplifiers and two lower bit ADCs and combine results.

• I think it may have some kind of photodiode that has a dual oxide layer if some diferent material. Making it more sensitive. Thus the dual analog gain makes sense.

Ive listen carefully on this years video about the au- eva1 and they keep on sayin it has a diferent aproach on light gathering when the dual mode is enabled.

i havnt study too much about panasonic dual gain sensor. But my aproach seem logic. Some kind of similar tech but used on all the sensor is the Arri sensors. I posted that finally we know that cmosis is the constructor and the native dual ADC is or was one of their main advantages. Dual signal per signal. No that much gain needed. That is why arri noise is so "ORGANIC" hahaha cos it reads good signal from the begining.

Panafriend is on something here similar

• I think it may have some kind of photodiode that has a dual oxide layer if some diferent material. Making it more sensitive. Thus the dual analog gain makes sense.

Have no idea that this can mean.

i havnt study too much about panasonic dual gain sensor. But my aproach seem logic. Some kind of similar tech but used on all the sensor is the Arri sensors. I posted that finally we know that cmosis is the constructor and the native dual ADC is or was one of their main advantages.

Again, dual ADC has NOTHING to do with that you wrote. Idea with dual ADC is different - to get high resolution digital signal and do it fast. Low bit ADC are cheaper, and faster.

Initially whole idea with dual ISO can be also explained with very slow LSI that could only get, say 10bit or 12bit signal. Or memory constrain, or same ADC constraint.

• Did sound on a short film with a Panasonic Varicam LT earlier this year, and yeah the DoP was able to run quite a small lighting package.

Was the first time the DoP was doing a film with the Varicam LT, and had borrowed it as he wanted to give it a spin before deciding 100% or not to buy one himself.

He has gone for it! Has sold his Sony FS7 workhorse, and has been shooting with the Varicam LT now for a couple of months.

• VariCam LT firmware version 28.01-00-0.00

• Enhancement of usability in the state of being connected with ROP (AK-HRP1000/1005/HRP200 )
      • AK-HRP1000/1005 (It will be supported by updating Ver.4.50-.)
      • AK-HRP200 Ver.4.01.00 or higher
    • On the premise that the camera is used at live events, specifications and functions are added.
      • Items are added to MENU.
        • SHADING is added to GRADING in V-Log mode selected for MAIN COLOR.
        • SHADING is added to MAIN COLOR.
      • Some of the specifications related to the connection with ROP are changed.
        • GAIN, PED, GAMMA, BLACK GAM, KNEE, SCENE FILE etc.
        • Support for ROP 5600K SW
          If 5600K SW is turned on, W/B works as PRESET 5600K regardless of its list.
        • Specification change of the camera's GUI
      • To simplify the setup process of connecting AK-HRP1000, this ROP's IP connection account is added to the default account settings.
      • Support for RETURN input
      • TALLY light up according to the commands from ROP On AU-VCVF10.
    • The time required for displaying GUI at boot-up is reduced.
    • SYSTEM MODE can be changed by selecting the preset item.
    • ISO BASE ([800B] / [5000B]) is displayed. (VF, MON OUT, LCD (VIEW))
    • Support for the playback of multiple clips in succession as well as in order of selection
    • RESTART button is added so that the camera can be rebooted, after NETWORK SEL is changed.
    • For the following settings where VFR is possible, VFR ON/OFF Switching feature is provided.
      REC FORMAT: LT codec
      PIXEL: CROP mode
    • The function of changing TCP/UDP port for IP control by ROP is added.
    • The setting value for the fan's rotational speed reduction is added.
    • The following compatible wireless LAN module is added.
      D-Link DWA171 (Australia)
    • The following compatible EF lenses are added.
      CANON CN-E70-200mm T4.4L IS KAS S
      CANON CN-E18-80mm T4.4L IS KAS S
    • Support for SHADING RAW output
    • LongGOP50 and LongGOP25 are added to the supported formats for HD CROP mode.
    • The initial value of PROXY CODEC is changed to OFF. Even if the sub slot is empty, you can start recording.

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgvlt_e.htm

• The setting value for the fan's rotational speed reduction is added.

Well that is good news, more options to have control over its noise.

• In India Varicam LT booth looks like this

Yes, outside is really dark.

sa5340.jpg
    800 x 588 - 56K
  • Was there a power cut at the Expo?!

Well no, I don't think so, but still that is strange

• @IronFilm

Well, Indian expo is very dark. This year, btw is better.

Still US expos are usually unmatched by horrible ventilation systems design.

• Instant rebate make price to be $9995

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226386-REG/panasonic_au_v35lt1g_varicam_lt_4k_s35.html

$9,995 USD gets you the camera body with top handle, EF lens mount and control panel. That control panel doubles as an LCD monitor so technically this is a complete camera kit. This base model comes with the interface, the lens mount, the monitor, the battery mount, the I/O connections. You can add stuff but you don’t have to just to make it function.