Personal View site logo
Is V-log identical in both the GH4 and GH5?
  • I can't determine if this has been asked before, so I apologize for any duplication. But is the V-log implementation identical between these cameras?

For example, if I were to shot the same scene with the two cameras, both using V-log and otherwise identical settings, would the resulting video be more or less the same?

Could I use the same LUTs on the footage? Or does GH5 V-log footage require different LUTs than those of the GH4?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Hi Brian,

This may help: Panasonic recommends the same LUT, which was originally for the V35 for the V35, GH4 and GH5. I was playing with making a LUT for the GH5 so that I could over expose by a stop or more and still have it look exposed correctly (unlike the V35 LUT, which looks over exposed when you expose to the right.)

BTW this is a first attempt and it was used for shooting at high iso at night. I will keep playing around with this concept to see if I can make one for other shoot conditions. Maybe in day light the V35 would do fine, but not at night in high ISOs IMHO.

It was as simple as bringing some V-Log footage in Resolve 14 beta 3 and applying a LUT then tweaking it to tasted. Then you right click on the thumbnail in the color editing section of Resolve and it will let you select to export as a Panasonic compatible .vlt LUT file. After exporting it, you need to shorten the LUT file name to 8 characters and place it in the root directory of the SD card for the GH5 to read.

The VLOGDARK LUT file attached has a fake .txt extension, as you can't upload a .vtl file to the forum, so I changed the extension to .txt and you need to change the extension back to .vlt before using it.

Good luck!

VLOGDARK.txt
  • Not sure what it tells you, but the V35 V-Log LUT is really wrong for GH4 V-Log L. GH4 V-Log L is quite different from V35 V-Log.

• @balazer Re:"Not sure what it tells you"

From the Panasonic website. Here are links where Panasonic recommends the V35 LUT for the GH4 and GH5 by providing a download for it:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/enhance/gh4/index.html http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/enhance/gh5/index.html

I don't disagree that there are better LUTs for the GH5 - that's why I made my own. ; )

• @majoraxis, you misunderstand. I'm saying that I'm not sure what my telling you that V35 V-Log is very different from GH4 V-Log L tells you about the GH5.

• @majoraxis Check your links and you will find that they are for V-Log L and NOT V35 V-Log. image

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 5.10.12 PM.png
    668 x 154 - 21K
  • OK folks when I unziped the download files from the links above and they give me a LUT named Log_to_V709_forV35_ver100.vlt so I assumed that this is the same as for the V35, but that said, Panasonic may have linked to the wrong LUT file. I am a happy to be wrong about this as I would like to have the correct VLogL LUT. Someone please provide a link to the download for the VLogL file - thanks!