Personal View site logo
SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x – 40

SLR Magic is proud to announce the SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x – 40 (Compact) adapter for indie filmmakers. This product will be officially introduced during the upcoming 2017 NAB Show in the Las Vegas Convention Center. There will be a demo at the SLR Magic booth (Central Hall, C2663) during the NAB Show from 24 – 27th April 2017.

To achieve the much loved 2.35:1 scope aspect ratio, which gives a very pleasant, epic effect, filmmakers must crop off the top and bottom of standard 16:9 footage when using spherical lenses with modern digital cameras. As a result, 25% of sensor/negative information is discarded.

As a commitment to the film industry, SLR Magic developed this 1,33x-40 (Compact) anamorphic adapter to help filmmakers maximize their image quality by preventing this loss of vertical resolution.

The unique 1,33x squeeze factor uses the entire 16:9 sensor/negative area to achieve the desired 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The Anamorphot 1.33x – 40 (Compact) adapter does this by compressing a 33% wider field of view to fit the width of the 16:9 sensor/negative without compressing image height.

Modern professional cinema cameras have large sensors capable of capturing an image in the 2.35:1 format directly, using spherical lenses, but film makers still desire the anamorphic “look” which often limits them to using rare vintage lenses. These present a number of difficulties in practice, such as size, weight, lack of close focus, availability, high price, and the need for basic dual focus anamorphic skills. We sought to overcome such issues with the SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x – 40 (Compact) adapter.

The SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x – 40 (Compact) adapter create a unique "artifact" such as horizontal lens flare, commonly referred to as anamorphic streaks, and may create slightly elongated bokeh when achromatic diopters are used. Over the history of cinema, these same stylish effects have contributed to the cinematic "look" of epic motion picture photography. Characteristics that shape this anamorphic “look” come from “front-mounted” anamorphic adapter designs such as the SLR Magic Anamorphot while “rear-mounted” anamorphic designs have more suppressed anamorphic characteristics.

This SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x – 40 (Compact) adapter is a small size, light weight, single focus anamorphic adapter designed to work with most camera kit lenses beyond 40mm (35mm equivalent) maintaining capability of the kit taking lens to use autofocus, offering a reliable, easy workflow and readily available solution in an affordable price for amateur or indie anamorphic shooters.

THE SLR Magic SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x – 40 (Compact) adapter (MSRP: $499 US) will be available from authorized SLR Magic dealers by end of May, 2017.

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like old century optics/optex and others 16:9 converters

• Looks dope, sorta faux square front anamorphic and price is right... all depends on the quality of the results. Not sure if it's going to differ much from the previous SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x - 40 that didn't really seem that much of a steal at all, judging by Tito Ferradans' video on YouTube. This 'compact' version thereof... can't imagine by downsizing they improve it.

• @Cinegain

We'll see tomorrow if it is available in their booth and make some footage is it is.

• the front element is smaller than their previous one, maybe have to stop down more on this one? I know with the old 1.33x-50 you can use max aperture on native M43 lens (Except voigtlanders.. need to step down)

• Stuff like this is useless without footage. Like announcing a lens and providing no image samples. Doubley annoying when you can clearly see footage playing in the background of that video.

Size is right, and I hope it performs well. Would love to use with my voigtlander SL pancake lenses.

• SLR Magic Lenses and Adapters, NAB 2017

• I am both extremely curious and extremely interested about this adapter. But I have several worries. On a full frame or APC-S camera, what will realistically be the minimum focal length required so there is full coverage and no vignetting? The issue is if the usable focal length is pass the wide-angle range, then this become a bit useless as will not cover enough wide field of view. And worse, the more you zoom into the adapter, the more apparent all the optical flaws will be and drop of IQ

That's the first issue.. but the second more serious issue (aside from their anamorphic 1-piece high quality lenses that is are a different league and indeed very good..also very expensive) is that all the other older anamorphic adapters that SLR Magic has had for a while prior of this new one (bigger and at a higher cost), are all basically HORRID as far as IQ goes.. I mean, UNUSABLE IQ by any basic minimum standards of whats acceptable! All the sample footage Ive seen of these adapters are a lavish disaster of chromatic aberrations, distortion and overall sheer lack of sharpness

This said, I want to be optimist though I cannot foresee how a much smaller glass, slower and cheaper can in any way improve upon their more expensive previous models. I'd be using the new adapter with a Sony a7RII (not sure yet what lens would be good to attach this to) and earnestly want to see it perform well.

SLR Magic seriously needs to update their website that resembles an operation abandoned years ago and never again updated, and provide basic sample footage of the product in action. The fact they had absolutely no footage to show at NAB is both ridiculous and highly suspicious of purposelessly wanting to show nothing!

I for one, live in Hong Kong, about a couple blocks from their offices. I wonder if they would allow me to schedule a product demo:)

• @VeEuzUKY

Note I removed your bold formatting, it is was unreadable.

Overall you seems to be not big fan of Andrew :-)

• I have no problem with Andrew whats so ever. He seems a super cool and nice guy! I just want a good product and a company site that is up-to-date and usable:-)

• Agreed, their website is abjectly horrible. Searching online initially I couldn't even find official confirmation about this adapter. The B&H listing for this adapter didn't even have a picture until this week!

• The product is new, so that B&H just recently has it on their website, is all fine. What I think is not fine is the manufacturer's website having zero info on the product and items dated 3 years ago with no updates. Given that most people go to the manufacturer's sites for official info on products and pricing, is just astonishing to me how SLR Magic can even do business at all. Takes a lot of money and MONTHS or research, development, prototyping and pre-assembly and manufacturing to make a new lens.. BUT TAKES 1 DAY (and pennies to the dollar) for someone within the company to update their site with current products, some photos and pricing! The fact they dont do this, is a mystery to me..

• @VeEuzUKY

You are very naïve.

For small companies it is normal. They just do not have people to do it all.

• They can make lenses but not an HTML page with some photos and description of the product they just made?.. hmmmmm ok. I am naive indeed..

• Another naive here! I'm in the @VeEuzUKY side.

• Hello first post.

As far as I can tell this is very exciting. The 1.33-40 compact is a very new design with a single focus. Similar to the 1.33-40 (non compact). It is designed for use with the 25mm SLR Magic 0.95 (according to one of the press release sites I viewed) and I am guessing designed to be compatible with the Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 (same focal length same aperture and similar dimensions. If it's sharp well it will be a winner.

The poster mentioning whether it's designed for full frame or not. From my understanding these adapters have not much to do with full frame or not (m43), but the designed FoV and the size of the last lens element. That is, this lens is designed for a 40mm exit pupil aperture lens and relatively normal FoV. Of course it will turn into a wide angle once the resulting footage is desqueezed. Best of my knowledge anyhow

• Wondering if there is any footage from this adapter yet?

• SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x 40 Adapter (Compact) – A Beginner’s Perspective and First Look

https://www.cinema5d.com/slr-magic-anamorphot-133x-40-adapter-beginners-perspective-and-first-look/

• All handheld, 10-bit 4:4:2 4K into GH5 with Panasonic 25mm f/1,7