Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Netflix and Morality
  • Netflix stood up for net neutrality many times before. But the company has done so less and less as it’s gained subscribers and stock market value.

And, now, here we are, at the apparent end of the line. “It’s not our primary battle at this point,” Hastings told Recode’s Peter Kafka. “We’re big enough to get the deals we want.”

Morality of capitalists is always the one that suit them best now. One that is more fit to their economic interests.

Btw Netflix is the source of horrible approach to minimize bitrate of videos as much as possible, as any extra bitrate reduce their profits. This company alone done so much damage to internet in US. Not only this, but idea of centralized streaming using few datacenters is completely sick. For popular titles it means up to 100x more load on mainstream channels compared to torrents like tech that can select nearby members and keep most of data local.

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • I think you will find Netflix uses HVEC, a friend was telling me the other day (this friend works as a data centre architect for HP and 9 PB storage arrays) that Netflix uses multiple data centres and routinely crashes them at random, intentionally to make sure their system is constantly failure proof.

As for their stance on "Net Nutrality" it is disappointing. But not unexpected.

We are moving into "Highlander" logic: "There can only be one".

• I think you will find Netflix uses HVEC, a friend was telling me the other day

We have link to Netflix testing report in H.265 topic. This guys save bitrate like mad. They make regular testing so they could compress films as high to just not make too much complains.

We are moving into "Highlander" logic: "There can only be one".

It is called imperialism stage of capitalism :-) And "only one" is called monopoly.

• Yup, like Microsoft.

• @alcomposer

And it is not bad, this is how capitalism works. So all this anti monopoly efforts (mostly fake ones, btw) are intended to prevent inevitable.

• Competition is also built into capitalism. I'm sure another service will rise up, look at Amazon TV.

• Competition is also built into capitalism. I'm sure another service will rise up, look at Amazon TV.

Constantly mentioning competition as capitalism advantage is not very smart. For most competition do not mean any innovation, it simply means horrible resources usage and non necessary people exploitation.

Amazon primer is also bad, as it is another rising monopoly who eat smaller guys for lunch each day.

• I'm not trying to be smart. Competition will always exist in any system. Humans always want to be better than one another. Even animals exhibit this behaviour. This is issues with genetic code.

• I'm not trying to be smart. Competition will always exist in any system. Humans always want to be better than one another. Even animals exhibit this behaviour.

Humans wants to be better at something, this is human quality. To learn and improve, to share.

And competition for resource, to push someone else to get something - it is animal quality, thing that proper society and education could and will prevent almost completely.

• I think it's very hard to take animal out of humans. Everything we do is based on this. Even regimented animals like bees have competition.

Even if we did "educate" it out, we still need to do so many "animalistic" things:

• eat
    • defecate
    • replicate
    • die
    • (repeat step 1-4)

Maybe if we make robots to replace us it will change. But then even robots need energy, which is a resource.

I always find it funny that humans think robots don't get paid. They do! Their currency is exactly the same as ours: energy. Even solar powered robots need it.

• I think it's very hard to take animal out of humans. Everything we do is based on this. Even regimented animals like bees have competition.

Actually not so hard. And idea to belittle humans to bees or such do not add value. Humans are not bees. And progress requires to develop human qualities, not to focus all 24 hours on defecation as capitalism does.

• I don't think comparing bees to humans is belittling. Bees have highly advanced culture and society. Also without bees we would all be dead. I think there is enough evidence to view the animals on the planet in a linear continuum, not a hierarchy.

Think of it this way, which is more important:

• camera
    • lens
    • SD Card

(I could go on)

Take anything out of equation and you can't achieve a video (or photo)

I think this webpage should be renamed from www.personal-view.com to www.personal-view-philosophy.com

Lol :-)

• I don't think comparing bees to humans is belittling. Bees have highly advanced culture and society. Also without bees we would all be dead. I think there is enough evidence to view the animals on the planet in a linear continuum, not a hierarchy.

It is belittling without doubt. They do not have any culture, it is first. And society is not so advanced as many think. For this it is better to rely on good scientific studies of bees and similar animals.

I think this webpage should be renamed from www.personal-view.com to www.personal-view-philosophy.com

Well, lacking foundation is not something you should prize yourself. To have personal view that have some value you first need to have foundation. Using philistine approach and philistine logic is very bad.

• guys come on you're going out of context.

• "And competition for resource, to push someone else to get something - it is animal quality"

But... that's not what's actually happening. Because most things don't just "exist" on their own and resources/time are limited. It takes "human-time" to use any resource. So, I'd say that assuming you have the right to the "time" or production of others is more of an "animalistic" quality. Whereas rational humans respect the time others have put into procuring resources and trade time-value with time-value... as they know these things will not be available in the future if they simply "take them".

• But... that's not what's actually happening. Because most things don't just "exist" on their own and resources/time are limited. It takes "human-time" to use any resource. So, I'd say that assuming you have the right to the "time" or production of others is more of an "animalistic" quality. Whereas rational humans respect the time others have put into procuring resources and trade time-value with time-value... as they know these things will not be available in the future if they simply "take them".

Well, having time and ability to transform nature according to some plan is exactly human thing. All else sounds like bad version of Marx theory :-) Btw removing trade is extremely important at this stage due to http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/17033/capitalism-transaction-costs/p1