Personal View site logo
iMac Fake Pro Computer coming fall 2017
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • I don't quite know how paying for software is sponsoring capitalism. Technically buying anything is sponsoring capitalism.

• @alcomposer

First, as far as I remember Australian customs, you can order it almost all from US or EU (without VAT). Just use your family members and do not do it all at once.

Second, for software use right approach. Instead of sponsoring capitalism.

Third, build can be much more frugal with you just remove unnecessary things and make specs normal. Can as well go AMD route.

• @Amadeus5D2 I thought we were discussing Xeon builds?

AU$ 4,699 for a i5 with 8gb of RAM is a bit crazy.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 6.19.04 pm.png
    978 x 461 - 809K
  • I like Surface Studio, ....Mac engineers what you are doing all the year round, all what your leaders like?!

• @bwhitz honestly here are the costs associated with a Xeon build here in Australia, using iMac Pro minimum Core count, RAM, SSD & Network:

• i7-6900K 1299 $AUD
    • Vega Pro (1080TI cost equivalent) 999 $AUD
    • Samsung 850 EVO Msata 1TB 444 $AUD
    • 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3000 Corsair Vengeance Black (*2) 358 $AUD
    • Asus X99-E 289 $AUD
    • Intel® Dual 10Gbps Copper RJ45 370 $AUD
    • CASE: R5 Titanium 155 $AUD
    • PSU: HX1000i 319 $AUD
    • COOLING: H100i V2 179 $AUD
    • 27" 5ms 4K IPS (3840x2160) Speaker Asus MX27UQ 868 $AUD
    • TOTAL: 5280 $AUD = 3986.45 $USD as of 7th June 2017

NOTES:

• CPU: I used a 2011 Xeon, I don't know if the iMac Pro is a 2011 chipset.
    • PSU: I like my PSU's powerful (if you want to do the maths with a cheeper PSU then no problems)
    • CASE: The case needs to be useful for mounting everything for good cooling etc, no point using a $45 case with such an expensive build, (if you want to use a $45 case, subtract $110, or maybe just not have a case and have the parts lying on the floor?)
    • COOLING: Just used a closed-loop unit, custom water cooling can be much more expensive.
    • MOTHERBOARD: Not a motherboard I would normally choose- as has very little PCI ports, but then this kind of works out well for comparing to iMac. You do however get one free PCI when assembled- which you will need for Decklink Card if you use Resolve on Linux.
    • EXPANDABILITY: MOTHERBOARD, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, NETWORK, COOLING can all be upgraded
    • Windows 10 cost not added, use Linux for free OS (Resolve works fine on Linux)
    • ALL parts except 10gbe card from: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
    • I intentionally chose the cheapest parts, no guarantee that they all work together perfectly, normally I spend more time working that out for my own builds, but in theory they should all work.
    • There is no 1080 web cam with this build
    • You still need to put this whole thing together, install OS, install drivers, test - etc, which would take a few hours, and substantially more time on Linux.

NOTES 2 (Software costs):

WINDOWS

• CC 57.99 $AUD per month
    • W10 209 $AUD
    • Resolve free (no ProRes iirc)
    • Resolve Studio 475 $AUD (no ProRes iirc)
    • Fusion Studio 1535 $AUD
    • Fusion 8 free
    • Affinity Photo (photo shop alternative, no cloud subscription) 62.99 $AUD

MAC

• Sierra free
    • FCPX 499 $AUD
    • FCPX Color Finale 100 $AUD
    • Resolve free (as its Mac version ProRes included if that's your workflow)
    • Resolve Studio 475 $AUD
    • Fusion 8 free
    • CC 57.99 $AUD per month
    • Affinity Photo (photo shop alternative, no cloud subscription) 62.99 $AUD

LINUX

• CentOS free
    • Resolve free (no ProRes iirc) (needs 150 $AUD Decklink Card for audio iirc)
    • Resolve Studio 475 $AUD (needs 150 $AUD Decklink Card for audio iirc)
    • Fusion 8 free
    • GIMP free

NOTES 3

• All software based on commercial price, not Student price- or 'pirated' price. Obviously if you pirate all your software then these costs don't apply to you, however costs are coming down substantially for software, so very little incentive to pirate in 2017 - especially with 'free' versions of Resolve etc...
    • In future, Windows may move to subscription model, so that may change costs etc...
  • lol... I've seen the mac-boys everywhere drooling over this and claiming that it's "impossible" to build a similar specced PC for this price. Amazing...

• They keep saying Mac Pro is coming in 2018. That seems like so far away. WTF Apple? My workplace just OK'd a new computer purchase for me but it's looking like I might start pushing them for a PC.

• For users that don't want to spend any time choosing hardware- then this is really a great choice. The iMac line has always been about simplicity, this is it in its extreme form.

Personally I have always had peculiar needs for hardware. (Multi-gpu rendering etc) sound cards- video cards.

That's why I'm very interested to see what Apple bring out for the Mac Pro. Oh, and I 100% need it to be in space grey. (Would be nice as a space grey cube- like the Next Box)

• If you like to roll your own, no one is stopping you. I quite doing that after I retired. It is just wonderful to simply buy a computer that does what you need, plug it in, and go to work. For those of us who do not like hassle, the extra cost is worth it. If I worked with multi-cam 4K with loads of effects, I would pre-order this machine now. As it is, the new iMac 21" works for me. $1600 buys a 4K-ready machine with 16GB RAM, all that you need for FCPX. I want to spend my time on actual work, not continuously sharpening my tools.

• I am waiting for a mac mini update for years now. I use a 2006 mac mini as media center, television and stereo substitution. This little guy worked well but cant get updated anymore. And it seems to get slower and slower now. I dont know why. i used it without any issue for years, didn`t change anything and now it slows down every day. Not usable anymore. And what do they announce? Something that is also useless for me. Aargh.

• @utezet remember you don't need to purchase this "iMac Pro" I know I won't be. However at least Apple are making computers again. For a while it was touch and go.

2018 Real Mac Pro I would like to see without any solder anywhere. Ship it to me with a soldering iron IKEA style please!

• It can't get worse. This is the most anoying announcement for a product that is available only in 6 months i ever heard of. I have a silent setup with a gtx 1070, 6700K, 32 Gb ram, 28" 4K HDR screen for 1500 Euros and it cuts on resolve 14 like butter. It`s in fact my first Computer ever, that is fast enough to do what i want. Why should anyone need this price monster? I think capitalists won, we are helpless.

• Correct term is not "fake Mac Pro", correct term is "disposable Mac Pro"

Whatever happened to Apples commitment to sustainability and landfill. Having a system that can be upgraded reduces e-waste.