Personal View site logo
Nebula 5100 one hand gimbal, now with encoders
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • Do you know if the record function works with a GH cam?

• My preorder Nebula 5100 arrived today. First impressions is that it is very solidly built and appears consistent with the promotional videos. The polish is however a bit lower than I hoped. Specifically, several of the balancing clamps are overly tight and cannot be fully closed, changing modes requires pressing a button 2-5 times, and there is little in the way of instructions. After a quick balancing, I did a basic test using a GH5 w/the 12-35 F2.8 lens. The gimbal appeared to handle the weight pretty well. Will try to address the clamp issues and complete a more thorough test in next day or two. In the mean time feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

• With Vitaliy's encouragement I am attaching some initial photos of the Nebula 5100. In advance of a full use test.

As I mentioned previously, the build quality is solid. Construction of the gimbal and the mounting cage/brackets is all metal. The Gimbal is certainly not light and I could see some people would be interested in an option for a two-handle accessory

Nebula 5100 Gimbal with Panasonic GH5, F2.8 12-35 II lens. Power is OFF, Gimbal is statically balanced. Attached to the included mini-tripod

5100 on Included tripod

5100-Rear

Controls are on the Handles and consist of a sliding ON/OFF switch, a small joystick, a MODE button and a RECORD Button. The controls are relatively small. A single press of MODE button returns Gimbal to initial position and multiple presses of the MODE activate alternative modes which is confirmed with an audible tone

5100 Controls

Initially billed as self balancing, the Nebula 5100 will establish a usable position without pre-balancing. I could however feel and hear the motors when they were working harder with an unbalanced camera so balancing before use still seems important albeit absolute precision is probably less critical than was necessary on older, lower torque gimbals. Balancing is accomplished using 4 sliders equipped with pressure clamps. The clamps on my unit are quite stiff and were not well adjusted to allow closing far enough but not so much that they are difficult to reopen. I exchanged messages with Nebula about this concern and was NOT impressed with their initial response. We'll see if I can get the clamps to work better and/or if Nebula steps up and acknowledges the issue. In the meantime my take is that these clamps are usable but really detract from what is otherwise a pretty good balancing approach.

5100 - Clamps2

5100-Balancing Clamp

5100 - Pitch Balance

The gimbal was shipped with a semi-rigid carrying case, power adapter and an additional battery. The case is only large enough for the gimbal and while it provides useful protection, it is not something that should be considered adequate for checked baggage.

5100 Carrying Case 2

5100 Carrying Case1

5100 Power Supply & Extra Battery

• Thanks for the detail pics, do you think it is easy to add a arca swiss or manfrotto quick relase plate?

• @Adam_Mercier

Thanks for the detail pics, do you think it is easy to add a arca swiss or manfrotto quick relase plate?

They'll have quite soon Manfrotto QR option.

• How do you add weight to do that? Wonder if I could do it with the crane

• Nebula 5100 instructional video

Lumix GH5 + Nebula 5100

• Between this and Zhiyun Z1 Crane... your opinions?

Thanks

• @kitano

No one can tell you in abstract. If you have light setup Crane can be better.
    If you want one hand gimbal with most powerful motors it is Nebula.

• Ahhh @Vitaliy_Kiselev!

Did I miss the pre-order price??? Is there no way to purchase this at all??? :(

• @GH2_fan

You can still order

• Accessories announced at NAB 2017 for NEBULA 5100

The riser rail is designed for special models such as Canon C100, Canon 1dx mark Ⅱ, Sony FS5. With the help of this accessory, the gravity can be lower for 30mm, provides more setup possibilities, only priced for $40.

Tactical expansion pack is more like a special dual handle design with smartphone/monitor holder. Different from other dual handles, it’s a more simple and compact style making it easy to setup and convenient for single or double hands switching.

The price of the tactical expansion pack is $99 for the smartphone version and $88 for the monitor version.

sample1.jpg
    718 x 470 - 23K
    sample2.jpg
    623 x 358 - 23K
    sample3.jpg
    636 x 394 - 27K
    sample4.jpg
    534 x 371 - 17K
  • I would really love to see a remote for this gimbal. Also gimbals should be able to control focus like osmo. Wonder if gh5's USB 3.1 is friendly with camer control etc. and not crippled.

Don't get me wrong, I love this gimbal- looks amazing with powerful motors. Just really like option of remote control as well.

• The time-lapse function looks interesting, who knows how to operate this function?

• NAB 2017 interview

• Received my preorder, will post review and samples next week

• first real test filming eMTB with GH3 and unstabilised 12-40mm olympus

Some comments : When loaded, the roll lever can touch the yaw motor when doing a 180° move, I think they should add more clearance here. I added a arca swiss syle QR plate on top of the QR plate shipped with the gimbal, but to balance the GH3 with 12-40 olly I had to adjust the pan clamp all the way to the limit (top of the L bracket in line with the screw/clamp). The mode 4 with follow on all axis is great for following a subject very fast on uneven tearrain.

Battery life is top! did not manage to empty one batt in 2h45m of shooting (not continuous)

moving and holding about 1 sec the gimbal by hand works a treat to setup positions.

• @Tim_White This is the instructional video show how to set Time-lapse function and change settings.

• Nebula + Sony FS5. New video on their channel.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Wow, those accessories do look nice! :D