Personal View site logo
12-60mm F2.8-4 Panasonic Leica lens
  • 53 Replies sorted by
  • Hmm, for 1080p I don't think it would be a problem, I'm sold at parfocal for $1000 aud.

• Review

The Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH Power OIS delivers a very good job without being brilliant - which is hardly surprising given its 5x zoom ratio. The resolution is perfectly fine (tack sharp) in the image center. However, like many MFT standard zoom lenses it suffers from aggressive distortion auto-correction at the wide end of the range which is limiting the border quality to max. good to very good results at 12mm.

http://www.photozone.de/m43/1007_leica1260f284

sample339.jpg
    800 x 603 - 100K
    sample337.jpg
    542 x 335 - 36K
    sample338.jpg
    489 x 376 - 32K
  • @fahrenheit not my test. What I mean by "software parfocal" is when the lens corrects itself when zooming to be in focus, like a parfocal lens would do in hardware.

I would like to try this lens myself, as it seems very good for live performance videography. Especially in ex-tele mode- that would be roughly a 48-240mm?

So at 240mm an f 2.8 would be very shallow DOF anyway, and hence not usable for event videography. Many of the Sony zooms are f4 constant, this is as well if one simply locks down the aperture to f4.

• @alcomposer Can you explain what you mean by software parfocal? At those close focusing distances the depth of field is very narrow, even if the PL12-60 isn't the fastest of lenses. Your test seems quite persuasive to me. Where you able to convince yourself?

• I don't know if this has been posted already- but its the Leica 12-60 on GH5. Gosh this lens is crazy.

• So we calling this lens parfocal?

Or is this "software parfocal"? Very interested for using this for live event recording. I know it's not constant aperture, however at such an extreme zoom range, you would need to increase depth of field anyway.

• he didn't like focus pulling with it and thought f4 was too slow for low light but apart from that it's ok :)

I've had mine on a fair bit now prefer it to my v1 12-35 would have been nice to be 2.8 through the range but then it would be huge and expensive, I get far less flaring than I did with my 12-35 outside where I pretty much stopped using it filming because of that. Def need to stop it down to 5.6 ish at the 60mm end for photos but found video I didn't really notice. The zoom ring is super smooth use it like a camcorder with it if you practice. Agree wouldn't use it indoors without a flash much but works fine with one so no big deal. Would use the inbuilt focus pull on the gh5 if I was doung a staged shot rather than trying to do it by hand.

• sample197.jpg
    800 x 576 - 91K
    sample194.jpg
    766 x 538 - 53K
    sample195.jpg
    749 x 534 - 50K

Center and edge sharpness are excellent from f/4-f/11. Diffraction starts to affect the image sharpness from f/16 onwards.

Lens is little soft wide-open at 60mm, where it's best used stopped down, and there's some barrel distortion at 12mm.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_leica_dg_vario_elmarit_12_60mm_f2_8_4_asph_review/

sample1018.jpg
    800 x 559 - 68K
  • Got this lens a couple of weeks ago and absolutely adore it. Worth every penny. Corner and edge sharpness is excellent, perfect for landscape. It will be my one lens solution for mountain endeavors. Paired with my GX8, the whole package is weather sealed.

• sample689.jpg
    684 x 517 - 45K
    sample691.jpg
    684 x 519 - 49K
    sample692.jpg
    799 x 597 - 101K
  • @jjj_ri_usa: wow thanks! I was expecting around $1,200 so the $999 price tag seems like a "bargain" haha.

• At the bottom of this article it shows the price to be $999 https://www.dpreview.com/news/0216061684/panasonic-leica-dg-12-60mm-f2-8-4-lens-moves-from-roadmap-to-reality

Well: it USED to have an Amazon price listed as $999, but...now it has disappeared???

Bit, this article lists the price as $997 http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/01/04/panasonic-announces-new-bridge-superzoom-compact-mirrorless-12-60mm-f-2.8-4

And, I've pasted a bitmap of that page in case the price on it disappears as well. ;-)

Plus, the price is at the Adorama pre-order link in the 1st post above.

Price12_60mm.jpg
    709 x 648 - 202K
  • I'm definitely getting this lens when it comes out. Still no word on release date and pricing?

• PR

Las Vegas, NV (January 4, 2017) - Panasonic is proud to introduce a new standard zoom digital interchangeable lens, the LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 12-60mm / F2.8-4.0 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (35mm camera equivalent: 24-120mm) as the first lens to be introduced from its LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.0 Series.

Covering a focusing distance from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto, this new LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.0 Series achieves exceptionally high descriptiveness for both photo and video recording, and yet its size is kept compact. All of the lenses in this series feature a 9-blade diaphragm to give the aperture a rounded shape that produces an attractively smooth effect in out-of-focus areas when shooting at larger aperture settings. All lenses also take advantage of Panasonic’s Nano Surface Coating technology to minimize ghosts and flaring. They boast a rugged, dust/splash-proof design and are even freeze-proof down to -10℃ to withstand professional use under harsh conditions. The high-quality video recording capability is also one of the advantages of this lens series.

The new LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 12-60mm / F2.8-4.0 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. offers a versatile 5x zoom range of 24-120mm. It fully covers a variety of daily shooting situations, from dynamic landscapes to portraits even in low-lit situations, providing a beautiful defocus effect by taking advantage of the F2.8-4.0 high-speed performance.

Comprising 14 elements in 12 groups, the lens system features four aspherical lenses and two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lenses that effectively suppress spherical distortion or chromatic aberration to achieve stunning picture quality. The use of these lenses also enables high mobility.

In addition to the wide aperture, the POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) effectively compensates for blurring, making it easy to shoot even in dim lighting. The lens works with the Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer)*1, 5-axis Dual I.S., and 5-axis Dual I.S.2 system when mounted on an applicable Panasonic LUMIX DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) camera.

The linear motor enables the camera to comply with the sensor drive at max. 240 fps to take full advantage of cameras with high-speed, high-precision Contrast AF. It also helps to reduce wobbling. Notably, the new lens excels in video recording performance. In addition to the silent operation achieved by the inner focus drive system, the micro-step drive system in the aperture control section helps the camera to smoothly catch up to brightness changes when zooming or panning. The optical design achieves exceptional barycentric stability to minimize image shifts during zooming. The AF tracking performance in zooming is also improved thanks to high-speed frame analysis for focus control.

Offered in sharp, metallic black color, the new LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 12-60mm / F2.8-4.0 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. stylishly matches the LUMIX G DSLM cameras.

The LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT F2.8-4.0 Series lineup will expand with additional lenses. An 8-18mm (16-36mm, 35mm camera equivalent) wide zoom lens and 50-200mm (100-400mm, 35mm camera equivalent) telephoto zoom lens are presently under development.