• 2x USB 3.0
    • 1x USB 3.0 Type-C
    • 1x USB 2.0
    • 1x HDMI
    • Backlit Keyboard
    • 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.
    • 3-Cell Battery
    • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Lenovo-Y520-15IKBN/p/80WKCTO1WWENUS0/customize?irgwc=1&PID=10451

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Win 10 only ):

• Win10 - Thing-in-itself. WinXP I could tweak for my needs anyhow. Win7 - difficult, but I can somehow. Win10 - in garbage.

• Most new hardware and lot of software is incompatible with XP now.

And I do not know that you need to tweak in OS, really. Except turning off Microsoft report home.

• Win 10 is a huge pile of shit. Seriously. The design is awful because they're trying to make an OS for every device – I will never ever need touch functionalities for my desktop PC. They're forcing their shit software and shit products onto you and are more and more persistent with freakin' ads inside the OS. There are so many useless apps and features, I don't know where to start.

Unfortunately I'm dependent on Windows software, so in a few years I will have no other choice than to upgrade to Win 10. Urgh.

• If there was a solution for me, you were generally on Linux! BUT! For our needs - photos and videos, linuxoids are too expensive!

• @VVV1151

Yes.

As I use OS not for flame wars, but as work tools.

While I do not like Microsoft direction, Windows 10 is very good work tool. Same as was Windows 8, Windows 7 and all before.

• Exactly as a tool! To process the video and nothing more!

• If you don't like all the surveillance, just keep it off the net and use something else for socmedia and surfing. Might help with procrastination too ;-)

• Ironically the Y520 looks like it takes Linux very well:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=241681

For editing - Resolve also runs on Linux.

• But lots of little helpers don't…

• @nomad little helpers? I have used Arch linux, and there are really lots of programs that can get the job done.

• Transcoding: FFMPEG
    • Encoding: Handbrake
    • Viewing: VLC -MPlayer
    • Audio: BitWig, Reaper
    • Audio Editing: Audacity
    • Editing: Resolve, LightWorks
    • Compositing: Fusion, Nuke, Houdini, Natron
    • 3D Graphics: Houdini, Blender, Substance Painter
    • Documents: OpenOffice
    • Photo Editing: Gimp

Mind you I am mainly a Mac guy, but I still have a plan b. :-)

• Me too, and we operate a few Linux installations. As you mentioned Lightworks, I like that program. A great alternative for not so powerful hardware, simple and efficient.

• @nomad, yes, lightworks main goal is optimisation. I once wrote a bug report regarding the lack of movement of one of the play heads in the Video Effects section. They wrote back saying moving the indicator would use too many resources... :-/

The segmented design of the software has kind of been given a new lease of life due to resolves insistence of that model.

• "Final Fantasy." Mounted in the Piranha. Only for Linux - "Piranha." That was a long time ago... Could not find the website now. Who will tell? Thank you!