Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 camera, actual users feedback
  • 216 Replies sorted by
  • Can someone find a good reason why Panasonic has removed AFS from 4k/6k photo?

• Forgot, it can take nice pictures as well, couldn't find any cats tho!

• @JackBayer ok. Still a lovely camera, just shot with the GH5 and the other camera guy had an a7r ii. I was on VLogL and matching seems quite easy to fix.

• @alcomposer Yes it seems so from what I've read. Not only doesn't it downconvert but also switches off the video ouput on its lcd (once you hit record). Info graphics will be displayed though.

• @JackBayer I don't understand. Can the A7sii not downconvert to 1080 when recording internally to 4k? I'm not a Sony user, so I haven't run into that issue. Sad that such an amazing camera (a7s ii) is let down by something like this.

• @alcomposer Thanks so much, this is exactly what I need then. :)

• @JackBayer yup no problem for what you want. 4k 10bit 422 internal recording -> HDMI 1080p monitoring. Both GH5 and HDMI screen active. (just tested it then)

Is that what you were interested in knowing?

• I'm not sure if my post has been deleted or I never hit "Post Reply".

Anyways, question: On the GH5, can I record internally 4k and at the same time send out 1080p via HDMI? (Problem on the A7s ii is that it only gives out 4k when it shoots 4k internally and also disables the LCD preview while HDMI is connected).

Thanks!

• Since they have already said they are adding tethering support in a future update it should in theory be possible to control focus etc over USB. You can do that from lightroom with tether supported cameras.

• @Umii - I removed the triangle strap holders and use CAMS strap attachment designed for the camera mount screw on the bottom of the camera. But you make a good point. I'll test sound capture while sliding the camera on the strap and see if that might be causing the problem.

In the meantime, I've reduced mic gain substantially to see if that makes a difference. Seems to capture sounds just fine.

• @smoke23 charging isn't on my 'must have list' as its super simple to get a battery pack adapter. Thank you for talking with Panasonic and discussing this with them, this is really an area that could get exciting! (and finally I can buy the 12mm 1.4 Panasonic lens without feeling that I can't focus it!)

We should all aim to let them know what we think can be made better, as its great to be able to have such a capable camera in a small package.

What Panasonic needs to realize is that the GH5/6 should be aimed at professionals, it can also be a great crash cam, small space camera etc... It really does deserve to be in the Varicam lineage as a compact form advanced photo/video device. Larger cameras (such as Varicam / RED / Alexa / Ursa will always have a place in market) but to have such a powerful device in a small-compact package is truly useful for professionals.

Anyway, what would be the point of 'prosumer' devices if pros don't use them anyway?

On anther note, I know friends that use Sony exclusively that were quite blown away by the GH5's simplicity of use and advanced usability features (HDMI - scopes - 10bit etc).

• @Vesku thats a super idea. However if Panasonic want to initiate a 'pro' feature in the GH5, then it would be nice to get true FF, and fly-by-wire.

It's a bit strange currently, as there are some super advanced features in the GH5 for video, Scopes, etc, but some aspects are just not there yet.

Manual FF with Panasonic glass should be one of these features, it would sell more Panasonic glass than many other feature (apart from better auto-focus). Many features of the GH5 are even there specifically for other companies glass- like Anamorphic mode. (not that I dislike or don't want that mode, its just strange that Panasonic doesn't make its own glass a first class citizen)

• GH5 could use the joystick to drive focus motor. It would be easier and steadier to use manual focus.

• @smoke23 probably not the right place to post, but it would be remarkable if Panasonic came up with a USB3 follow focus knob. I think it would also sell more Panasonic glass to video centric people. As long as it was really smooth, I would be able to transition into more Panasonic glass easily.

Unfortunately Panasonic would have to re-think their marketing etc. Then again, Canon- Nikon- Sony etc. all have expensive 5k+ flagship cameras. I think that the GH5 could have been more expensive, and hence more capable and still achieve great sales. (Vlog-L can still be seperate if they want).

• @alcomoser The focus transition feature is really smooth:https://instagram.com/p/BTmX6O0BW1I/

You might be onto something. I went to NAB and had a chance to talk to Matt Frazer from Panasonic. He mentioned they may be doing more with the USB 3 port in a future firmware upgrade. He said charging, unfortunately wasn't possible, but some type of lanc control for Panasonic lenses would be great!

• Just found this re: false colour lut for GH5:

https://luts.iwltbap.com/false-color-lut/

Haven't tested yet, but looks good.

EDIT: tested- works well!

• Just finished my first filming with GH5, have to say that VLogL seems to have come a long way, and noise is really not that much of a problem. Is anyone else a bit in-love with whites and inky blacks on the GH5 or is it just me?

Things I like:

• Noticeably better in-camera recording (basically no issues with light grading with correct WB)
    • Better colour
    • Better rolling shutter (negligible)
    • Focus Transition (actually a really usable feature)
    • Usability (Full size HDMI etc- menus etc)

Room for improvement:

• VLog-L in-camera clip playback (played back log clips are not displayed with LUT)
    • 60p 4k is only 8bit 420? (pleeze Panasonic lets get it the same as the rest of the modes)
    • VFR makes video look like lego-land. (way too much pixel skipping)
    • Auto-focus is just not working for me

Suggestions:

• Better manual focus control of Panasonic Glass (USB tethered Follow Focus?)
    • Allow VFR to do a 1920x1080 windowed mode (similar to Blackmagic) to negate pixel skipping) I don't mind if its cropped in even further due to the windowing- but at least this would make it usable for professional work.
    • Higher bit-rate than 400mbps (or use h265 for those high-end modes)
    • Allow quick switching between LUTs in VLog-L (custom function button)
  • @v10tdi don't know if this is the same thing but I've found I have to be super careful of the strap or even the little triangle bit the strap clips onto hitting the body when I'm filming, I've been meaning to test it properly, i never had the problem with the gh4 but the 5 seems super sensitive to it. I was wondering if perhaps it software, I know Panasonic said the gh5 suppressed operation noise, I wondered if it got confused if the camera gets slightly tapped. Might not be what you had but it's something I noticed.

• I was out in a wetlands park this weekend snapping a few pics and taking a few movies. When I returned home, I noticed that some of the movies contained an intermittent, but very prominent "scratchy" sound in the audio track - even where there was low ambient noise. I thought it might be wind or an issue with the limiter, but the audio tracks on some clips were perfectly fine. I'm reviewing the clips now to try and see if I can isolate the behavior.

Anyone experience this?

• Thanks Eno, btw the jello effect was caused by bad seeing conditions and tube currents because of the sharp temp drop last night. http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/PrincetonNJkey.html?1

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4162/34408366756_d13e9ec287_c.jpg

• @joe1946

The moon shot is fabulous!

• Anyone know if there is a way to playback VLog-L footage with an applied LUT?

• Hi. A quick question. When I change Iso values I have to use the up-front dial ring (the one under my index finger), while the rear ring makes me only change the Iso limit. I really don't need to change the Iso limit, and with the Gh4 I was used to turn the rear dial (the one under my thumb finger). So now I just can't get used to it and it takes double the time to change the Iso values. Is there a way to change things around?

• @Fost

Yes, I agree. However currently we only get 'fly by wire' control of Panasonic native glass. (so I think LANC control would only give us more 'fly by wire' as opposed to responsive speed control - like a real manual focus ring).

The good news is however that Focus Transition in the GH5 has let the cat out of the bag. Panasonic 'can' control the focus of native glass very well, but decided to give us a very strange way of accessing it. (I do like it however, just wish there was full manual control as well).

If Panasonic were able to publish the lens focus and zoom controls over USB 3.1 that would just be the best! However I am not sure if they would do that to help other manufacturers make awesome follow focus controls? (it would sell more Panasonic glass however, and considering the GH5 is a good seller from what I can tell, this may be a good thing.)

First they would most probably have to make a custom follow focus control unit. Tilta is a good place to look for inspiration.

Honestly with a computerised lens, I really don't understand why they haven't done this already, as it is really necessary for video, which is a major selling point of the GH5 system anyway.