Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 18 and older 17 and 16
  • 459 Replies sorted by
  • Just tried the free version it's really smooth.. Props to Blackmagic Design.

• They just made me very happy and probably some others very unhappy.

• gh5 10bit 4kuhd footage is recognized upon import with no problems and plays as smooth as 1080p footage in Davinci Resolve Studio 14 beta.

• Photos by our team at BM booth

see more at https://t.me/pv_nab_2017

sample6.jpg
    800 x 554 - 79K
    sample7.jpg
    800 x 592 - 84K
  • They did it. I'm switching to DaVinci for editing.

• @inqb8tr

Most people can miss important thing.

DaVinci want their software to be pirated now as they drop strong protection used for PC version.
    And it is even worse news for competition.

• old dongles still work with new version

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Yes, true.

But they are not requirement anymore.

• @GravitateMediaGroup @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Considering they give you free Resolve with every camera purchase (even the pocket) and the latest price reduction, I think many wouldn't need to even pirate any more! (probably is cheeper to not have to supply a plastic dongle for every purchase).

• It is a daring but I think smart move. It should improve there market dramatically. With a larger market base they will have more people to sell there excellent looking new economy panels too.

• This is quite a kick in the pants to Adobe. They will have to drop their CC pricing or face a mass exodus of subscribers. The only module that remains unmatched in their product portfolio seems to be After Effects.

If they wanted to they could probably launch a $50 Davinci photo editor and obliterate Lightroom. It would be pretty easy to implement, the interface and raw processing is already done. Profiling all the cameras and lenses would be the hardest part.

It would be a good way to pull in even more content creators who are cheap (like me).

• They don't give you a studio version with the Pocket, but the rest is right.

• @Tron

This is quite a kick in the pants to Adobe. They will have to drop their CC pricing or face a mass exodus of subscribers. The only module that remains unmatched in their product portfolio seems to be After Effects.

Adobe offers infrastructure, set of products and something were it is easy to get skilled people.
    You can have more small guys going to Davinci, but how big guys will od we need to see.
    But Adobe development speed and skill is horrible.

• @Tron Agree Adobe is in trouble when it comes to the more casual users for sure. Ad agencies and the like won't give them up easily for Photoshop and Illustrator alone. If you have the flexibility Affinity has some real contenders in Affinity Photo and Affinity Design. The combination of Premier and After Effects is important to those that do effects. So there is a hold there as well. Black Magic has Fusion but in the limited time I've played with it I was having trouble getting my head around it. I don't do many effects so Resolve has been my go to Editor for awhile now and once your used to it more intuitive than Premier IMO.

• If you have the flexibility Affinity has some real contenders in Affinity Photo and Affinity Design.

In Windows land Affinity makes NET based, universal interface monsters. Inside it is horrible shit, but on modern CPU it is not so visible.

• I tried the free Davinci Resolve 14 on my new Win 10 Pro Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop with GTX 1050TI, and it crashed on first startup and goes nowhere, so certainly there some serious bugs to squish out on the BETA for windows users...

12.5 runs fine on the same laptop however.

• @NickBen

Try latest driver, as well as set priority in NVidia panel to GTX adapter.

Overall notebooks with 2 cards are tricky for editors.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thanks for the tip, the new Lenovo Legion gaming Laptop has a new Intel Display Driver update issued yesterday, that did the trick...

unfortunately, the Nvidia driver is locked down to a month old release , so I am stuck waiting for Lenovo to refresh their Nvidia driver, as crazy as that sounds... looks like I won't be keeping this little pony much longer due to that

it does at least run Resolve 14 now, thanks a bunch!

• Blackmagic is Winning right now, specially with this new update.

• Just upgraded to 14 , and Yes ! Major performance increase for me .smooth playback of 4K footage ,compared to 12.5 I say 14 does noticbly increase the playback frames and much smoother ,at least for me

• So Resolve 14 seems to be Awesome - until I start playing audio in the Fairlight tab - then it's Force Quit time. I'm using a fully loaded MPB Early 2013 with 16GB memory. Mac OSx 10.12.4

Of interest is that it doesn't see any of my audio plugins.

Accepted this is a public beta.

All the rest seems as juicy as usual. The stabilisers are of note as being better.

• @Scot - Fusion is a little tricky to learn. The interface is from hell, and the documentation is really bad. But it is powerful. It's the easiest way I know to create an instant time lapse. Create a Loader none, select the file sequence, highlight the node, create a Saver, select output format. It takes about the same amount of time to do it as it does to describe it. Of course, you can do lots of stuff between the Loader and Saver – that can be a serious rabbit hold.

• There are lots of tutorials (some by Eyeon, the original maker) for Fusion, free on the web from older versions, and they still apply. I admit it's difficult to get your head around it if you are coming from AE (like me), but it's worth it. The interface may seem strange, but it's fast once you got it. No bells and whistles, but efficient.

Regarding Resolve 14, it's a bit more stable on Mac than on PC, but it's the buggiest beta they ever released upon the outside world. The whole Fairlight integration is more of an alpha than beta…

But OTOH it's maybe the biggest change under the hood they ever did, so let's be patient.

• I was hoping that they would enable free panels repositioning and arrangement inside Resolve. With the options like "Dual screen layout", "primary and secondary display", "full screen timeline", they tried to simulate some interface customisation but it is a bit weird and have to say, almost useless, when every other software for last 15 years allows rearrangement and customisations, this is feeling a bit like having one hand tied to a chair